What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Mashed potatoes are not worth it!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Regular/full fat ice cream
    supermarket 'sad' sandwich bread
    sour cream/full fat cream cheese
    mayo (hate it anyways)
    fruit juices
    sodas
    Starbuck-type specialty beverages
    potato chips
    donuts

Yeah, I always buy neufchatel/low-fat cream cheese. Tastes every bit as good to me, if not better, plus it's softer right out of fridge (in the brick form, not the whipped tubs), so it's easier to spread than the brick version of full-fat cream cheese. The only thing remotely approaching a downside is because it's soft, it's a little more difficult to slice off a precise amount for a recipe using the measuring lines on the foil. But hey, I've got this nifty thing called a food scale sitting on the counter, so not really an issue ...
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    edited October 2020
    Pizza - too many years working as a waitress in a pizzeria. Also, when you see teenage boys making dough with their bare hands one too many times....the novelty wears off
    Ice cream - too many years working as a staff in an ice cream shop. Ironically, I can still probably stomach REAL ice cream once a year or so.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Brioche
  • pancakerunner
    alexmose wrote: »
    Pizza - too many years working as a waitress in a pizzeria. Also, when you see teenage boys making dough with their bare hands one too many times....the novelty wears off
    Ice cream - too many years working as a staff in an ice cream shop. Ironically, I can still probably stomach REAL ice cream once a year or so.

this is how I feel about frozen yogurt bars and all the toppings... overdid it one too many times haha
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited October 2020
    suzij27 wrote: »
    Donuts - sugary fat bombs
    Most restaurant meals.

I agree with both...typical restaurant chains are definitely not worth it (in my experience), however dining at super high end restaurants can absolutely be worth every bite! Even some little 'hole' in the wall places can also be worth it too.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Pastries/cakes/donuts/bread that's stale or old. Nuts with no salt- salted nuts are another story. Fries that don't have enough salt or no salt on them. Same for homemade mac and cheese with hardly any salt. I'm a huge salt fan. Fried foods that are cold or lukewarm- they have to be hot. Beverages with sugar in them- I love diet coke.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    (...) Nuts with no salt- salted nuts are another story. (...) Beverages with sugar in them- I love diet coke.
    I like unsalted walnuts and chestnuts, but other nuts really need a little salt.

And +1 on non-diet soda. My body doesn't even register that they have calories...
  • ThinisAsin333
    ThinisAsin333 Posts: 4 Member
    I completely cut out ramen noodles from my life a year ago.
  • pancakerunner
    Most restaurant meals.

I agree with both...typical restaurant chains are definitely not worth it (in my experience), however dining at super high end restaurants can absolutely be worth every bite! Even some little 'hole' in the wall places can also be worth it too.

Agree on chain restaurants... totally not worth it! Unless there is the nostalgia factor
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    Most restaurant meals.

It’s sad but I’ve even had inconsistent food quality from non-chain restaurants. Now that I’m counting calories, and in the losing weight phase, going out just isn’t as appealing. The one good thing about the pandemic is I got in the habit of cooking every day and it has really stuck. (We use to dine out 2-3x per week).

Other items from above that I agree with...
    -Cold fried food is gross.
    -Fried food cooked in old grease. Yuck!
    -Stale baked goods
    -these round cookies you get at the grocery store in the bakery section that are doughy, crumbly white flour with a thick layer of icing. Kids love them, most grown ups don’t.
    - fancy coffee drinks popularized by starbucks
  • pancakerunner
    Most restaurant meals.

It’s sad but I’ve even had inconsistent food quality from non-chain restaurants. Now that I’m counting calories, and in the losing weight phase, going out just isn’t as appealing. The one good thing about the pandemic is I got in the habit of cooking every day and it has really stuck. (We use to dine out 2-3x per week).

Other items from above that I agree with...
    -Cold fried food is gross.
    -Fried food cooked in old grease. Yuck!
    -Stale baked goods
    -these round cookies you get at the grocery store in the bakery section that are doughy, crumbly white flour with a thick layer of icing. Kids love them, most grown ups don’t.
    - fancy coffee drinks popularized by starbucks

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10747290/the-most-polarizing-food-where-do-you-stand#latest

lol
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    Ice-cream and lollies
    Cream - in anything, drinks, deserts, etc
    Fish & Chips, most take out food
    Any sort of jelly sweets
    Cookies - unless homemade
    Supermarket sliced bread
    Any type of cake that isn't chocolate!
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    The batter on the fish when I buy fish & chips (with mushy peas of course)
  • pancakerunner
    ew on the note of fish and chips... tarrter sauce.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    vivo1972 wrote: »
    The batter on the fish when I buy fish & chips (with mushy peas of course)

You can ask that the fish is cooked without batter? That's what I used to do before I became vegetarian
  • vivo1972
    vivo1972 Posts: 129 Member
    Because chippy fish isn't breaded. It's battered and the fish remains unfried inside, being nice and soft