Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• IsETHomeIsETHome Member Posts: 360 Member Member Posts: 360 Member
    @sardelsa......my response was based on those who had already posted. My best practice when I’m most successful. I have a slow metabolism, and have to be very deliberate. My maintenance is 1500 cals a day. Take what you want, leave what you don’t. This was an opinion question, not sure the disagreement #s. It works very well for me. High protein in the am. Occasional small portion of chocolate to ward off sweet craving, and avoid dense carbs that add up too fast. I have to stick to 1200 cals to loose very slowly. I’m 48 and sit for very long work hours. I water jog almost daily in the am for about 45 mins. During Covid went off the wagon and gained (that and no pool). Pool is open, I’m logging again and weight loss is back on. I always appreciate the perspectives of what works for people. These were mine and I listed what wasn’t worth the cals for me, and some that was in contrast to others. I’ve lost about 36 lbs from my high. Cheers.

@ninerbuff on the rare occasion if I have fries, they must be hot - I refuse tepid fries. High cal items for me must he high quality or just as I want it - or why bother.
    edited October 23
  • IsETHomeIsETHome Member Posts: 360 Member Member Posts: 360 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    any regular supermarket items made from their bakery department. Certainly not worth the calories...usually not tasting very good anyways (have you tasted a Safeway croissant or that 'frosting' on their cakes?😖)

The 2 oz of pecan pie I had today was amazing from a supermarket. I ate it with berries. However that is pretty much a doll size portion. I don’t eat many sweets so it was pretty amazing. Eating berries with it made the experience last a little longer.
    edited October 23
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 7,856 Member Member Posts: 7,856 Member
    Regular/full fat ice cream
    supermarket 'sad' sandwich bread
    sour cream/full fat cream cheese
    mayo (hate it anyways)
    fruit juices
    sodas
    Starbuck-type specialty beverages
    potato chips
    donuts
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,667 Member Member Posts: 4,667 Member
    mayo (hate it anyways)
    fruit juices
    sodas
    potato chips
    donuts

On sour cream, depends on how you are using. If it is in a recipe low fat is fine, but if it is the main thing I cannot STAND low fat
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,667 Member Member Posts: 4,667 Member
    Mashed potatoes are not worth it!
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Member Posts: 8,525 Member Member Posts: 8,525 Member
    mayo (hate it anyways)
    fruit juices
    sodas
    potato chips
    donuts

Yeah, I always buy neufchatel/low-fat cream cheese. Tastes every bit as good to me, if not better, plus it's softer right out of fridge (in the brick form, not the whipped tubs), so it's easier to spread than the brick version of full-fat cream cheese. The only thing remotely approaching a downside is because it's soft, it's a little more difficult to slice off a precise amount for a recipe using the measuring lines on the foil. But hey, I've got this nifty thing called a food scale sitting on the counter, so not really an issue ...
  • alexmosealexmose Member Posts: 774 Member Member Posts: 774 Member
    Pizza - too many years working as a waitress in a pizzeria. Also, when you see teenage boys making dough with their bare hands one too many times....the novelty wears off
    Ice cream - too many years working as a staff in an ice cream shop. Ironically, I can still probably stomach REAL ice cream once a year or so.
    edited October 24
  • angelexperimentangelexperiment Member Posts: 1,889 Member Member Posts: 1,889 Member
    alexmose wrote: »
    Pizza - too many years working as a waitress in a pizzeria. Also, when you see teenage boys making dough with their bare hands one too many times....the novelty wears off
    Ice cream - too many years working as a staff in an ice cream shop. Ironically, I can still probably stomach REAL ice cream once a year or so.

this is how I feel about frozen yogurt bars and all the toppings... overdid it one too many times haha
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 7,856 Member Member Posts: 7,856 Member
    suzij27 wrote: »
    Donuts - sugary fat bombs
    Most restaurant meals.

I agree with both...typical restaurant chains are definitely not worth it (in my experience), however dining at super high end restaurants can absolutely be worth every bite! Even some little 'hole' in the wall places can also be worth it too.
    edited October 26
  • domeofstarsdomeofstars Member Posts: 481 Member Member Posts: 481 Member
    Pastries/cakes/donuts/bread that's stale or old. Nuts with no salt- salted nuts are another story. Fries that don't have enough salt or no salt on them. Same for homemade mac and cheese with hardly any salt. I'm a huge salt fan. Fried foods that are cold or lukewarm- they have to be hot. Beverages with sugar in them- I love diet coke.
  • Slacker16Slacker16 Member Posts: 1,129 Member Member Posts: 1,129 Member
    (...) Nuts with no salt- salted nuts are another story. (...) Beverages with sugar in them- I love diet coke.
    I like unsalted walnuts and chestnuts, but other nuts really need a little salt.

And +1 on non-diet soda. My body doesn't even register that they have calories...
  • thinisasin5926thinisasin5926 Member Posts: 3 Member Member Posts: 3 Member
    I completely cut out ramen noodles from my life a year ago.
    Most restaurant meals.

I agree with both...typical restaurant chains are definitely not worth it (in my experience), however dining at super high end restaurants can absolutely be worth every bite! Even some little 'hole' in the wall places can also be worth it too.

Agree on chain restaurants... totally not worth it! Unless there is the nostalgia factor
  • suzij27suzij27 Member Posts: 86 Member Member Posts: 86 Member
    Most restaurant meals.

It’s sad but I’ve even had inconsistent food quality from non-chain restaurants. Now that I’m counting calories, and in the losing weight phase, going out just isn’t as appealing. The one good thing about the pandemic is I got in the habit of cooking every day and it has really stuck. (We use to dine out 2-3x per week).

Other items from above that I agree with...
    -Cold fried food is gross.
    -Fried food cooked in old grease. Yuck!
    -Stale baked goods
    -these round cookies you get at the grocery store in the bakery section that are doughy, crumbly white flour with a thick layer of icing. Kids love them, most grown ups don’t.
    - fancy coffee drinks popularized by starbucks
    Most restaurant meals.

It’s sad but I’ve even had inconsistent food quality from non-chain restaurants. Now that I’m counting calories, and in the losing weight phase, going out just isn’t as appealing. The one good thing about the pandemic is I got in the habit of cooking every day and it has really stuck. (We use to dine out 2-3x per week).

Other items from above that I agree with...
    -Cold fried food is gross.
    -Fried food cooked in old grease. Yuck!
    -Stale baked goods
    -these round cookies you get at the grocery store in the bakery section that are doughy, crumbly white flour with a thick layer of icing. Kids love them, most grown ups don’t.
    - fancy coffee drinks popularized by starbucks

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10747290/the-most-polarizing-food-where-do-you-stand#latest

lol
  • Jacq_quiJacq_qui Member Posts: 304 Member Member Posts: 304 Member
    Ice-cream and lollies
    Cream - in anything, drinks, deserts, etc
    Fish & Chips, most take out food
    Any sort of jelly sweets
    Cookies - unless homemade
    Supermarket sliced bread
    Any type of cake that isn't chocolate!