What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Definitely cheesecake, alcohol, fried french fries (I think they’re just as good baked, no need for all that oil), most chips, mayonnaise, white bread, most brownies (especially those packaged mini brownies that are usually dry), cupcakes, butter as a condiment (such as putting butter on rolls), salad dressing, granola, pop tarts, soda, fruit juice (100% orange juice is exempt), trail mix. I’m sure there’s more, but those are definitely the bulk of it 😅 peanut butter used to be on this list, too, because it’s just so many calories... but I’ve stopped logging every calorie and I’ve found I’m actually able to include it without gaining weight which is a miracle 🙏 (I just stopped eating it by the spoonful LOL)
  • slw175
    slw175 Posts: 2 Member
    Chick fil A sauce! It is so good, but so annoying that the little packet is 140 calories... and who really can make one little packet last for your nuggets and waffle fries??...so to me it is not really worth 140 calories!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Anything packed in cheap oils... tuna packed in sunflower oil, marinated olives, etc.
  • pancakerunner
    senalay788 wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »

Same but with the 100 calorie Swiss cake rolls.

I’m sorry, but did you say 100 calorie Swiss rolls?

That’s a unicorn, that is.

4iv6jih4vaay.png

100 calories per roll, so 200 calories per package. Which is about the same as a regular swiss roll???

LOL yeah. The only thing ho hos have going for them is they're individually packaged.

ugh that is what i hate about pop tarts too... 200 calories each, 400 for the 2 pack

Pet peeves:
    Coke : 2 servings per can
    Pita and Lavash breads: one piece is 2-3 servings
    Lennie and Larry’s cookies: one cookie is 2 servings.

I mean, come ON!!!!!!

Pet peeve... people that eat based on "servings number" on the box that someone dreamed up for NO REASON what so ever.
    Serving = how much of something you eat. Nothing else, nothing more. Measure / weight and eat.
    Example is bread. Can be one serving OR 50 servings.

I’m not your disagreer, but I disagree to a degree. Oh, I kinda like that there!)

It’s marketing lipstick on a pig. Make it look healthier than it is by declaring a partial can or piece a “serving”. Yes, we are on MFP and more aware than the average piggy, but think about all of those people they fool with that nonsense.

And besides, who in their right mind is going to wrap up half a cookie, half a pack of Swiss rolls, or attempt to seal half a can of soda for later?

Yep!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I think they changed sodas to 1 serving. I remember years ago they were two, but I'm drinking a 12 oz can of diet coke right now, and it says 1 serving.
  • pancakerunner
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think they changed sodas to 1 serving. I remember years ago they were two, but I'm drinking a 12 oz can of diet coke right now, and it says 1 serving.

Most bottles are 2 I think
  • pancakerunner

also, diet pepsi > coke any day ;)
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2020

4iv6jih4vaay.png

100 calories per roll, so 200 calories per package. Which is about the same as a regular swiss roll???

LOL yeah. The only thing ho hos have going for them is they're individually packaged.

ugh that is what i hate about pop tarts too... 200 calories each, 400 for the 2 pack

Pet peeves:

I mean, come ON!!!!!!

Pet peeve... people that eat based on "servings number" on the box that someone dreamed up for NO REASON what so ever.
    Serving = how much of something you eat. Nothing else, nothing more. Measure / weight and eat.

I’m not your disagreer, but I disagree to a degree. Oh, I kinda like that there!)

It’s marketing lipstick on a pig. Make it look healthier than it is by declaring a partial can or piece a “serving”. Yes, we are on MFP and more aware than the average piggy, but think about all of those people they fool with that nonsense.

And besides, who in their right mind is going to wrap up half a cookie, half a pack of Swiss rolls, or attempt to seal half a can of soda for later?

Well, not cans, but I will admit to closing half a bottle of soda to save for another day sometimes (I don't drink regular soda often anyway) I draw the line at half a cookie, though..that's just crazy talk!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Those cookies are pretty big though...but stillz92vtwssfoih.png
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020

I dislike diet pepsi and will not drink it. Diet coke is the only cola type beverage I like (I like some other kinds of diet soda, however).

(I checked the Target site and it looks like even 20 oz bottles are now "1 serving.")
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member

4iv6jih4vaay.png

Pet peeves:

I mean, come ON!!!!!!

Yep!

Yep. That made me think of something that frustrates me. All my family members look at a serving size and think "oh I can eat as much as I want and its only _____(how many calories it says for 1 serving)".

I've tried explaining to them so many times but they don't get it. My aunt always says "but its fat free and only 90 calories" as she eats 2c of frozen yogurt that is clearly more like 400 calories.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

Raising my hand and admitting to being 1 of your disagree-ers. :)
  • ReenieHJ
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Those cookies are pretty big though...but stillz92vtwssfoih.png

But still...exactly! One whole piece of something or can of something is 1 serving. IMO and it's a cookie for pete's sake. How can somebody in reality leave the other half behind or *gasp* share it with anyone??
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Not worth calories:
    hazelnut creamer
    granola
    nuts
    pretzels
    crackers
    cheap chocolate
    soda
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited December 2020
    Oils, its very easy to overdo it. Most fats, (yes... a little is essential). Its why eat super high carb diet, you can smash down huge volumes of food without going over calories.
  • ReenieHJ
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Not worth calories:
    hazelnut creamer
    granola
    nuts
    pretzels
    crackers
    cheap chocolate
    soda

Pretzels UNLESS smothered with peanut butter or chocolate. Then it's really not worth the calorie overload but much more enjoyable. :)
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Oils, its very easy to overdo it. Most fats, (yes... a little is essential). Its why eat super high carb diet, you can smash down huge volumes of food without going over calories.

The what now????

Carbs are 4 calories per gram, fats are 9. So yeah...it’s effectively double.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,585 Member

The what now????

Carbs are 4 calories per gram, fats are 9. So yeah...it’s effectively double.

I think @senalay788's point was that even tho carbs have 4 calories per gram, you can sure as hell still overeat them.

I could be wrong tho.