Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,779 Member Member Posts: 5,779 Member
    breaded meats

What!? Not chicken fingers, boneless wings or nuggets? Chicken nuggets are worth it for me, the ones that are like 50 cal per nugget.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,666 Member Member Posts: 4,666 Member
    breaded meats

Except for fried chicken, though, right? I mean...you can't mean fried chicken...

I prefer roasted, grilled or rotisserie !
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member Posts: 4,666 Member Member Posts: 4,666 Member
    breaded meats

What!? Not chicken fingers, boneless wings or nuggets? Chicken nuggets are worth it for me, the ones that are like 50 cal per nugget.

I like them enough, but would rather have other types of meat!
  • senalay788senalay788 Member Posts: 257 Member Member Posts: 257 Member
    Starbucks fancy drinks. Huge waste of calories.
    White hot chocolate anyone? ;)
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Starbucks fancy drinks. Huge waste of calories.
    White hot chocolate anyone? ;)

lol this reminds me, growing up a family friend owned a gift shop that sold pink hot chocolate mix
  • Jacq_quiJacq_qui Member Posts: 304 Member Member Posts: 304 Member
    Cheap chocolate.

Or really any mass-produced factory candy bar. I'll pop a few mini-Twix or mini-Kit Kats when presented with the opportunity...but full-sized versions of these things...nope, not at all worth the calories.

I'd rather have a smaller amount of super-dark, high quality chocolate instead.

Have you tried Halo chocolate? it's pretty expensive, but if you're not spending on other treats is definitely worth it!
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 1,886 Member Member Posts: 1,886 Member
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    Cheap chocolate.

Or really any mass-produced factory candy bar. I'll pop a few mini-Twix or mini-Kit Kats when presented with the opportunity...but full-sized versions of these things...nope, not at all worth the calories.

Have you tried Halo chocolate? it's pretty expensive, but if you're not spending on other treats is definitely worth it!

I had to look it up....you mean Raw Halo? It looks great, but not available in the U.S. unless I want to pay a bundle in international shipping. One of my favorites here right now is Endangered Species chocolate.
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    Cheap chocolate.

I had to look it up....you mean Raw Halo? It looks great, but not available in the U.S. unless I want to pay a bundle in international shipping. One of my favorites here right now is Endangered Species chocolate.

Endangered species 88%!
  • SuzySunshine99SuzySunshine99 Member Posts: 1,886 Member Member Posts: 1,886 Member
    Cheap oils

Maybe if you’re using it to dip bread.
    But for cooking purposes, I can’t tell the difference.
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,124 Member Member Posts: 1,124 Member
    Cheap oils

Maybe if you’re using it to dip bread.
    But for cooking purposes, I can’t tell the difference.

You may want to consider the fact that using oils that are not good quality (or low smoke point) Create free radicals and can go rancid easily
  • yamsteroo1yamsteroo1 Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    Any shop bought cake or dessert - they look lovely, then you eat them and think 'meh, not as good as I thought it would be', waste of calories.
    If I want cake or dessert now I make my own so I know exactly what's in it and avoid all of the chemicals they have to add. Plus because I'm usually busy and haven't time to bake, it dramatically cuts down how often there is a dessert or cake in the house.
    yamsteroo1 wrote: »
    Any shop bought cake or dessert - they look lovely, then you eat them and think 'meh, not as good as I thought it would be', waste of calories.
    If I want cake or dessert now I make my own so I know exactly what's in it and avoid all of the chemicals they have to add. Plus because I'm usually busy and haven't time to bake, it dramatically cuts down how often there is a dessert or cake in the house.

I agree 100 % , have no idea how ppl can disagree. Except for the super high end gluten free cheesecake I get on a 1-2 times a year. The only issue with home made is only making 1 serving, which is what I do 🙂 otherwise it becomes a habit
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 7,852 Member Member Posts: 7,852 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I agree 100 % , have no idea how ppl can disagree. Except for the super high end gluten free cheesecake I get on a 1-2 times a year. The only issue with home made is only making 1 serving, which is what I do 🙂 otherwise it becomes a habit

I didn't hit the disagree button, but I do disagree depending on what type of "shop" we are talking about.

Pre-packaged, mass-produced baked goods...sure, totally not worth it.

But, bakery shop cakes and pastries? I'm not making that level of product at home. And real bakeries don't fill their products with "chemicals".

Plus, at a bakery, you CAN get one portion...one cupcake for a treat. No one's baking one cupcake at home.

Agree! Supermarket cakes are SO not worth eating...because they generally (from my experience) taste disgusting! Full of ingredients that are questionable...but yes, a beautifully made cake/pastry, etc., made from a 'real' bakery is amazing....
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I didn't hit the disagree button, but I do disagree depending on what type of "shop" we are talking about.

Pre-packaged, mass-produced baked goods...sure, totally not worth it.

But, bakery shop cakes and pastries? I'm not making that level of product at home. And real bakeries don't fill their products with "chemicals".

Plus, at a bakery, you CAN get one portion...one cupcake for a treat. No one's baking one cupcake at home.

Completely do agree there! I was only thinking box conventional. Bakery is different! Thats a rare treat indeed
  • springlering62springlering62 Member, Premium Posts: 1,625 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,625 Member
    We suddenly have four French style bakeries, an Australian bakery, a pie shop, and a Cupcake Wars winner on the “Square” in our little downtown area.

If nothing else, I sure enjoy the fragrances as I run on the path that goes directly behind three of them.

Especially the one owned by the French couple. That croissant smell can lift me right off my feet.

edited November 15
    caramel corn!
  • quiksylver296quiksylver296 Member Posts: 27,176 Member Member Posts: 27,176 Member

I’m guessing the disagrees were about the scary chemiKILLZ.
  • devonc2015devonc2015 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    Crappy cheese. Seriously.