Tips for weight loss over 50

Options
Thought I was being aggressive with my calories (staying in range for fat, carbs, sugar, salt too), but the weight is coming off slower than I expected. Had a doctors appt last week and asked about it and was basically told it was my age - Ugh! TMI, but menopause is not a factor. I do half an hour cardio majority of days a week. Yes, I know slower is healthier, but this is slower than I expected given what I'm doing. Not complaining, at least I'm down, Just looking for tips.

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've lost nearly 30lbs since May and I am 56. I lost 30lbs a few years ago (yes, I put them back on again in between...) This time around I have found I need to observe my calorie goals more carefully (I look back at my food diaries when I first joined mfp and can't believe I was losing when I was eating so much) and I also need to be MUCH more intentional about exercise. I have found that I need to try to get in >30 mins every day rather than swimming a few times each week. Having said that - and with those provisos - I have had steady loss at about the same rate as last time. About to transition into maintenance which will be a new challenge.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

@lgfrie

“We all gradually turn into mush.”

I read this while taking a rest in between sets of deadlifts and laughed out loud. Then cried. 😂😂😂😂
  • JoDavo66
    JoDavo66 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a problem for me. Again age, but mine I can clearly link in with when perimenopause hit big time.
    Was told to reduce carbs & up protein as changes in hormone levels means don't need as much energy from carbs but do need to maintain/build muscle mass.
    I do find it very hard as I crave quick fix sugary snacks - not helpful.
    Really trying to focus in these recommendations.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    JoDavo66 wrote: »
    It's definitely a problem for me. Again age, but mine I can clearly link in with when perimenopause hit big time.
    Was told to reduce carbs & up protein as changes in hormone levels means don't need as much energy from carbs but do need to maintain/build muscle mass.
    I do find it very hard as I crave quick fix sugary snacks - not helpful.
    Really trying to focus in these recommendations.

I had gathered that this might be a good idea as well, but when I reduced carbs I found I was really low on energy. I am working on getting my calories from carbs back up and calories from fat down. I think I could probably still move my protein up a bit though.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I'm 57. Losing weight hasn't been much harder than when I was 25, but it's a little harder. No doubt for most older folk it's a combination of factors - reduction in muscle mass (therefore lower TDEE), less physical activity in general (therefore lower TDEE), less intense exercise when doing exercise (therefore lower TDEE), and so on.

Go take a look at photos of Arnold in his young bodybuilder days versus now. He's in great shape for his age and works out more than 99.9999 % of people his age, but he is 73. We all gradually turn into mush. Mush burns less calories than rock hard muscles.

Eat less, move more - the eternal formula will work for you forever, just a bit slower than it used to.

Wow, good for Arnold! From last year:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/20/ex-bodybuilder-arnold-schwarzeneggers-wellness-routine-at-age-72.html

...Schwarzenegger still works out at Gold’s Gym (the first gym he went to when he came to America in 1968) at 7 a.m. every day. He also does another workout in the afternoon (a 45-minute bike ride) followed by an evening workout at home.

But his lifting routine has completely changed.

“I’m not training heavy anymore,” he said. “After my heart surgery, I was advised not to train heavy. Not go three reps, heaviest weight, and all that stuff. So now I do lighter weights and more reps.”

Additionally, he started to incorporate more stretching and warm-up moves into his workouts to help with recovery.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Same as under 50
  • Lawcher
    Lawcher Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Tip - it's not your age. Eat less, move more still works.
    I actually found it far easier in my 50's to lose weight, better tools like this one, food labelling, more me time.....

Only you know how much you have to lose and what you mean by slower than expected, often it's the expectation that's the problem!

As @claireychn074 points out we have choices with what to do with our time, when I retired I got even more choices and move more, exercise more and get to eat more.
    I actually found it far easier in my 50's to lose weight, better tools like this one, food labelling, more me time.....

Only you know how much you have to lose and what you mean by slower than expected, often it's the expectation that's the problem!

As @claireychn074 points out we have choices with what to do with our time, when I retired I got even more choices and move more, exercise more and get to eat more.

Actually menopause I had been scientifically proven to lose body fat very very slowly as estrogen drops dramatically
    You don’t exercise lots more and eat lots less that will cause your body to hold on fat in shock
    Speaking as a 51 year old menopause women who’s lost 100lbs it is so much harder than aged 20-40

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    I have given up deciding to be fat. I lost the weight at age 46. Some of it has crept back on (I've struggled to replace a very active work out plan since COVID shut down my gym and pool), but I also know that this science fair of a 52-year-old perimenopausal woman can do this again.

My biggest struggle is that if I injure myself, the recovery time in my 50s isn't what it was in my 20s or 30s. I am much more careful, paying attention to how "hard" I am willing to go during a workout. Early in the shutdown, I crashed on a piece of furniture in my house because I was at the end of my (new) workout and tired. It set me back weeks. Other than that, age hasn't been a game changer.

Endorsed in full. That "cost of injury" (or overdoing) issue is the biggest issue I see in my aging self, as compared with my younger self. Other than that, I don't see anything that seems directly attributable to age. (Attributable to my own particular challenges that are things more common with age, like OA? Sure, those are a factor in some ways for me. But that's not age per se.)

I feel like low expectations others (and the culture) have of us as aging people, and lowered expectations we then have of ourselves, are bigger obstacles than age per se. I'm convinced that most of us can suprise ourselves, if we make it happen.

Maybe our muscles do turn to mush eventually (though I've never seen proof of literally that), but there's also sound research showing muscle mass gains, balance gains, and more, even in 80-somethings who undertake activities appropriate to their starting fitness level. Giving up is a choice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Lawcher wrote: »

Actually menopause I had been scientifically proven to lose body fat very very slowly as estrogen drops dramatically
    You don’t exercise lots more and eat lots less that will cause your body to hold on fat in shock
    Speaking as a 51 year old menopause women who’s lost 100lbs it is so much harder than aged 20-40

A combination of over-exercising and under-eating will cause fatigue, and even "metabolic" effects like slower hair growth (even hair loss) and potentially much worse. Adaptive thermogenesis is a real affect. But "hold on to fat"? If that were true, no one would starve to death, or at least some of them would be fat when they did.

So, over-exercising and under-eating can lead to slower than expected fat loss (through reduced calorie expenditure, obvious or subtle). If truly eating fewer calories than one spends, the energy has to come from somewhere, and stored fat is the main and preferred source.

Also, doing extreme things can raise cortisol (stress hormone) and have surprisingly large water retention effects, creating the appearanc of plateaus on the scale.

I think in our demographic there are also people (especially women) who have especially difficult times in later age because many years of yo yo dieting (fad diets, salad-focused/inadequate protein, all cardio no strength) and bounce-back over-eating (mostly fats/carbs, still not enough protein, very limited exercise). That's a bit of an exaggerated cartoon extreme, but past practices in that general neighborhood set us up for later-age low muscle mass, reduced inclination/ability to undertake vigorous activity, and a cumulative burden of adaptive thermogenesis. Those things aren't inevitable doom to weight management, because they can be countered, but they can add to the difficulty