• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    What talented ladies! :)

Carol in GA
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    BARBIE yes actually most of our stores are open but I tend not to go I let DH do the shopping The lockdown is not as severe as in summer mainly bars and restaurants Get out walking when the weather permits.
    LISA thanks 😀

Kate UK ❤️

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Kelly Barbara & Others interested I am going to write down memories of my past in the mountains each morning and post them here in a spoiler. Someday maybe I will arrange them for a book.

Common questions about female primitive mountain living
    I will never understand fully why I had a desire to live in the mountains and live primitive. I can’t explain my obsession with reading every book about the American Indians and Western mountain people the library had to offer. I read every book about wilderness survival I could find. I wasn’t running away from anything or defying modern society. I wasn’t anti-establishment or rebelling against social injustice. I wasn’t off on some enlightened spiritual journey, many of which were gaining popularity in those days. Stories of Indian and pioneer women had a special appeal to me.

My grandparents passed down so many stories to me and at puberty, I had many questions that my Great Grandma from American Indian and German Sinti heritage answered without hesitation. She was not one to sugarcoat or dance around a question. She had zero sense of humor. She was direct and used as few words as possible to answer questions. Nearing seventy trips around old sol and I still don’t know when to shut up. I am a good listener but do love my time to exercise my jaws in a rapid manner. I remember my Grandma that was teaching me to prune fruit trees saying, “Faetta honey, if we could just hook that saw up to your jaws there would branch flying everywhere.” Learning to shut the hell up is on my bucket list, howbeit near the bottom.

Over the years when I have talked with interested women about my life, it is the years in the mountains as a solo female that seem to spur the most interest and questions. When I shared stories of my wilderness survival, there were many questions that I was asked by a few brave women who let curiosity overrule their finishing school manners.

The most common question is what did you do during your period to replace female absorbent sanitation products? The simple answer is tree moss. Yes, that green stuff that grows on trees in the western USA is very effective in soaking up blood and easily disposed of by burning, leaving no blood smell that might attract carnivores. Bears especially can be a problem. The moss is held in place by a leather pouch that has strings for tying. This predecessor of the thong or G string could be reused by hanging high over the campfire to smoke which destroyed any blood smell. It was only worn during periods. I wanted to experience mountain life just as my great grandmothers had.

What did I do in other non-menstruation times for panties while on my survival trips in the woods while wearing my homemade buckskin skirt? I didn’t wear any. It was really easy to remove my skirt and wade out in a stream pool and clean up. Sometimes I left my buckskin crop top on, sometimes not. Sometimes I celebrated being female by dancing around nude in a high mountain pasture among the wildflowers. Spring and fall were my favorite times for such female empowerment.

The next common question from women was and is, “Living alone and being young and hormonal, how did you deal with urges of a hormonal kind?” My answer is short and simple. Like so much of my life during those days, whether building, repairing, cooking, gardening, sewing, tanning hides, etc., I took matters into my own hands.

Fae in the PNW with yesteryear reflections
  • Faetta
    Options
    Barbie Wow! So lovely and radiate such a comfy feeling. I love handmade things.

Lisa Wow so many awesome talents and a high degree of accomplishment. The dunes are one of my favorite places also. My mother was an avid quilter making about 500 in her life. Many of the early ones were all handstitched.

• Faetta
    Options
    Kate What awesome work! So beautiful!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Options
    deleted because photo won't show.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Our temperature was just above freezing this morning, at 33F. It is still dark outside. The dog has had his morning constitutional, but I won’t be able to pick up after him until it is light enough to see.

Lisa- Nice to see your shades. :smiley:

Barbara- I remember good and bad things from the early TV shows. I have kid memories. Captain Kangaroo was a terrific TV show for kids. Bob Keeshan was great and so was the person who played Mr. Green Jeans. Howdy Doody was also a worthy kid show. They had afterschool cartoon shows and Red Buttons was a very yucky host. I remember him “chatting up” the moms who came to the studio with their kids. Smarmy. :ohwell: The Portland TV stations had their own hosts and those people were good. Heck Harper brought his hosrse into the studio, live and in the flesh. He also rode in the Rose Parade, as did Roy Rogers. My Auntie took my cousins and me to the parade and It was trilling to see my heroes live and in person. I might have been 5. Sadly, no rose Parade this year due to CoVID 19.

Kate UK- The fall leaves are beautiful! The neighborhood is very appealing. :flowerforyou:

Machka- I love the photo of you and the fireplace. You’re looking warm and cozy. :star:

Okie- We like to get the Christmas lights up, usually at Thanksgiving. The lights help lift my mood during the short days of winter. :flowerforyou:

Barbie- The Christmas Stockings are wonderful! :bigsmile:

I am ready to sit with DH and look at the view for a bit.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    Well dropped off the jug and have Homer and Alfie chilling on the bed..
    Going to lay low today..my SIL was already on me early this morning..saying i had rented a movie over and over on the TV.which i most certainly did not she said she was charged 30.00 every week for a month..
    If i hit a wrong button maybe ,but never would i do that..
  • Faetta
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Will try again later. I am unable to post photos now for some reason.
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    KATLA photos can lie this is a main road, what we call dual carriageway with green area down the middle, it was quiet when I walked but can be very busy with traffic. We do have a lot of green spaces in our city. One of the parks across the river inspired the design of Central Park in New York.

Kate UK ❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    Options
    Beth - my heart goes out to you. You are a strong woman. Such a lot of responsibilities. Hugs. <3

Wonderful crafts from everyone. :D I hugely admire hand crafted things, but have not an ounce of patience. Loving seeing all yours though. The only crafty things I have ever done is making celebration cakes. I seem to be good at modelling figures etc and I did once make dolls house things. I used to knit and make all my own clothes once upon a time. :*

Love to hear your stories, Fae. To me it sounds like some kind of hell, but I'm sure you'd say the same about my 40 years in London! Has anyone else got any sagas to relate? :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,943 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Tracey – I find that doing the jigsaw puzzle keeps me out of the kitchen and not night snacking, which I’m very good for.

I don’t know why, but last night I was very stressed. About what? I have not a clue. Ember reminds me so much of Shep. Congrats

Steve is coming her this Monday, probably on his way to his place in FL for the winter. But I’m wondering what to give him or even have him make. I’m thinking a lasagna for the day when he’s supposed to get here since you never know about traffic. He’s probably be here for 2 nights. I already bought ice cream since I know he likes ice cream and I made a cake and some cookies. That should be enough desserts. I know he likes the tater tots and corn so I got that. But what meats to make? I wonder about a pork tenderloin. It does come out really moist in the IP. Remember, Vince doesn’t like soups. So I try to make things that Vince’ll eat too. I know if I had to make a separate dinner for Vince, Steve would feel bad. Any ideas anyone?

Went to WalMart yesterday. We were re-spray painting some of the PVC pipes for the “fence” because some of them got faded from the sun. Unfortunately, WM didn’t have the exact same stuff so I got what they had. Only it doesn’t say on the can that it adheres to plastic. Vince is going to try one can and we shall see how it goes. He’s on a list to be informed when the store gets it in stock. But if they don’t get it in stock before we need it again, I went to Home Depot and while the paint they have in fluorescent orange doesn’t say specifically that it’s for plastics, the website for the company says that it is.

Michele
    Who’s hand is really itching which is what woke her up.

are they tiny little blisters that really itch? I was told they might be shingles- I have had them on my foot a few times and my hands a few times. After the itching goes away the area peels then is good for a while. I haven't had them checked but from the pictures and what I was told, that may be what it is.
    Hope it gets better.
    Debbie
  • spikeyhair
    Options
    Huge shopping centre and park down by river, our city centre is quite small as bounded by the river Mersey
    00jcodv6xcf3.jpeg

Kate UK
  • Faetta
    Options
    Michele I am guessing that your hand blisters that itch are a reaction to something. A plant, chemical, or insect bite. My best guess without photos is a spider bite. It isn't a zoster virus or "shingles" or it would be painful and spreading. If you touched it with your fingers to itch it and then touched other parts you would have it also in those places and not be happy about it. It could be herpes simplex, like Whitlow, but that also can be painful rather than just itch. Try Aloe Vera if you haven't already. Some of the anti-itch cremes might help also. If it is a Herpes virus, then an acyclovir creme might be in order. I doubt herpes because of the lack of spreading. I am placing my bet on an insect bite.

Fae - shingles survivor with serious permanent nerve damage
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    ❤️💜💙💚💛🧡