Immediate Gratification

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    Start seeing yourself doing the things you want to do and do all of them on your own terms. See yourself actually putting on those new clothes. That's not a bunch of hippy dippy happy horsesheet. Without a vision you may edge up against your dream weight and fitness goals but bounce right off of them with just a glancing blow. It's the vision that will keep you there for the rest of your life.

Dig down to the roots and find the deeper reasons for doing all of this or none of it will stick.

• beulah81
    beulah81 Posts: 168 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but honestly, I think I kind of don't delay gratification, mostly.

If I'm hungry, and it isn't almost time for a meal, I usually eat something small and satiating, quite soon. While losing, I had single-serve shelf-stable protein-y snacks in the car for just this purpose. I've also bought a hard-boiled egg or string cheese or something for the same reason. I'm personally worse off if I let perceived hunger (true hunger or not 😆) keep growing. If I give it a li'l jolt of gratification, it tends to hop back on its shelf and stop bugging me.

I guess my strategies are more like:

* having small stuff around as a go to, because it's that first couple of bites that are the most gratifying hedonically anyway (lately I'm liking individually-wrapped good chocolate at about 45 calories, dried fruit in small amounts, string cheese, Kind minis, and crispy broad beans, but the list changes over time),
    and
    * being a little bit conscious of considering whether I'm really hungry vs. just bored or some other thing that should be addressed more directly.

If I'm hungry and it is almost time for a meal, I'd probably start planning it. If I'm at home, I'd maybe even start cooking it. Sometimes when I get a meal, my first move is to cut up some carrots or wash some cherry tomatoes, or something like that, and start snacking on that while I cook.

Hedonism is one of my bigger personal obstacles, but experience tells me I'm better off - I'm happier and it actually *works* *better* - if I game it, rather than try to fight it.

@AnnPT77 I am also in the camp of gratifying my hunger with a "li'l jolt" of something satiating to keep it in its rightful place. 🤗
  • Diatonic12
    @muszyngr

Just curious what you think about immediate gratification and/or food rewards.
  • Diatonic12
    The short-run self strives for immediate gratification. The long-run self reflects the long-term consequences of unhealthy behavior on health outcomes and longevity.

There's only choices and consequences. Immediate gratification doesn't work for me and it never did.
    Our mileage will always vary. I'm going to keep looking way on down the road.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    edited October 2020
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    But a thing that surprised me, was that weight loss was much easier (once that switch flipped to "committed" in my brain) than I had built it up to be, in my mind. Small steps. manageable changes that add up to results, with patience, over time. (Yup, the reward is deferred, in a meta sense - short term, the goal is the process. (Love Kimny's post at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/disattle)cussion/10662287/the-goal-is-the-process/p1).

At goal, I felt kind of stupid for not doing it sooner, especially given the big payoff.

This! And then working out a strategy for continuing a lifestyle that keeps you (=me) there. I've been thinking as I read the amazing range of posts here at mfp that for me this journey is increasingly about finding an approach that befriends both my body and my appetites, rather than trying to control them strictly or punish them. That for me is also about practising restraint, so perhaps the befriending metaphor doesn't quite work, but I hope you can see what I am getting at. If I love my (non-existent) child I need to restrain that child from doing certain things sometimes without being over-controlling. It's the same with my appetites.
  • Diatonic12
    Immediate Gratification doesn't apply only to food. It affects every area of your life.

It's the bait. There are decisions made on impulse with a strong desire for immediate gratification that will cost you for the rest of your life. Instant gratification can be the loss of something greater in the future. It's the rush of the hit. It's convenient but it can hold you back from reaching your goals.

How much of your weekly progress are you willing to give up. You choose. You decide.

Watch the urges and you'll know where your treasure lies. It feels good in the moment but short-term fixes don't fix long-term problems.

• Diatonic12
    @mylittlerainbow Those are great decisions and I like your approach.
  • Diatonic12
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    That emotional hit of happiness that hits you when eat without delay. What tools have you used to slow things down and keep your head engaged?

Patience and compassion...
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    Immediate Gratification doesn't apply only to food. It affects every area of your life.

It's the bait. There are decisions made on impulse with a strong desire for immediate gratification that will cost you for the rest of your life. Instant gratification can be the loss of something greater in the future. It's the rush of the hit. It's convenient but it can hold you back from reaching your goals.

How much of your weekly progress are you willing to give up. You choose. You decide.

Watch the urges and you'll know where your treasure lies. It feels good in the moment but short-term fixes don't fix long-term problems.

Read a long term study a while back. I'll see if I can find it. Basically, what it found is the most important predictor of success in a career was not intelligence, looks, sex or education. It was the ability to put off/forego instant gratification.

That's why when parents never tell kids no, it's tantamount to child abuse.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2018/09/05/delaying-gratification-among-top-predictors-of-financial-success/138438.html
  • Diatonic12
    edited November 2020
    @MikePfirrman Boom! You've hit the nail square on the head. I hope you can find that study.

@muszyngr and me, we're friends, too.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

Read a long term study a while back. I'll see if I can find it. Basically, what it found is the most important predictor of success in a career was not intelligence, looks, sex or education. It was the ability to put off/forego instant gratification.

That's why when parents never tell kids no, it's tantamount to child abuse.

https://psychcentral.com/news/2018/09/05/delaying-gratification-among-top-predictors-of-financial-success/138438.html

“Early pain for long term gain…”
    -Matthew McConaughey
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    LoveyChar - trust me it's not just your husband. I think it's a male thing and as you said it is so frigging annoying.
    Mine would cut the cheese and leave it out - when asked his reply would be I am coming back.
    Guess what sometimes the cheese would stay out all night - same for the milk and other things
    I reached the stage now where I just put them away just to keep my stress levels low
    Don't ask him to make a salad - everything is taken out of the fridge scattered on the counter - add to that all of the dirty dishes just to make a salad.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    @mylittlerainbow Those are great decisions and I like your approach.

Me too, now if I could only adhere to such a sensible plan. :/ But then Ms. Immediate Gratification jumps in and messes it all up. So not only do I now have the calories of planned foods but also the extra foods I didn't think I could live without. :/
    I'm in the camp of 'life is short, eat dessert first'. :blush:
  • Diatonic12
    Thanks, Mike.

"If you want your child to grow up to earn a good salary, consider instilling in them the importance of passing on smaller, immediate rewards in favor of larger ones that they have to wait for.”

It's not only about food. This translates over into every area of your life.