Stupid reasons you have been sent to HR

Options

Replies

• Ikeeptrying2
    Ikeeptrying2 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    ..... Welcome to small business America where nothing is done quite like its supposed to be done.

Yes... Absolutely. I've never worked for one that wasn't highly toxic/dysfunctional. What they get away with would last all of 30 seconds in a major place (at least the ones I've worked in).

• brustmannzwei
    brustmannzwei Posts: 1,124 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    ..... Welcome to small business America where nothing is done quite like its supposed to be done.

Yes... Absolutely. I've never worked for one that wasn't highly toxic/dysfunctional. What they get away with would last all of 30 seconds in a major place (at least the ones I've worked in).

My experience has been the opposite or some what middle ground. Neither has been toxic but big companies (200k+ Employees) are concerned with two things; brand / reputation and financial solvency.

Working for a small business (~30 employees), has always been all around clutch... until bought by the competitor.

But, then again every industry is different. Maybe I’ve just picked one of the better ones.
  • brustmannzwei
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Not me but one of my siblings was called in over a red cough drop. She assists a doctor and he always places a red cough drop into his mouth between patients. This was before 'Rona. He leaned over the table to examine a woman and the cough drop fell smack dab into the middle of her forehead and stuck there. The lady went berserk, jumped off the table, flapping her arms....get it off, get it off of me. Sibling slid down the back wall laughing like a hyena and couldn't quit. She had to go outside. Doctor went outside and they both fell into hysterical laughing. Lady was very mad. HR to the rescue.

This made me smile. 🙂 at least it wasn’t dentures.

I’d say “some people” but To each her own.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @brustmannzwei She still works there. That's a cautionary tale about the poor bloke who lost thousands. :/ I feel sad for him.
  • brustmannzwei
    Options
    ^ my bad. I’m full blown retarded today, yesterday, and for who knows however long. I thought it was a tale where HR saved the day.

I should have known better. ☹️
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Nooo, they did save the day. Smoothing everything over with the lady.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    I was fired for "not answering an email in a timely manner" which was totally fabricated. The following week, my ex-supervisor's younger sister had my old job.
    The job loss left me unemployed for 5 months, ruined my credit, and sent me into crippling depression. I'm still bitter AF over it, 4 years later.

Nepotism is real. I used to really believe that people who got fired were fired because they were worse workers than they let on.

I worked at this horrible place for 1.6 years and we seriously had a running joke where we wanted to place a sign up that said "xy days without incidents" aka people getting fired. It rarely went longer than a month.

My turn was up when they promoted a managers daughter-- who was 21 and known for doing a horrible job but kissing upper managements feet. She got her feelings hurt when she heard that the whole department didn't agree with her being promoted and one by one fired every. one. of us. HR said that it was because I wasn't completing one certain task-- they had given it to me 2 days before I was fired.

Whatever, one month later, I landed an amazing job with awesome bosses.

The company you just described will survive in the short term, however that kind of culture usually results in a collapse. Sometimes the failure is swift, other times dragged out over several years..... but they do typically wash out after some period of time.

• breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    I was fired for "not answering an email in a timely manner" which was totally fabricated. The following week, my ex-supervisor's younger sister had my old job.
    The job loss left me unemployed for 5 months, ruined my credit, and sent me into crippling depression. I'm still bitter AF over it, 4 years later.

Nepotism is real. I used to really believe that people who got fired were fired because they were worse workers than they let on.

I worked at this horrible place for 1.6 years and we seriously had a running joke where we wanted to place a sign up that said "xy days without incidents" aka people getting fired. It rarely went longer than a month.

My turn was up when they promoted a managers daughter-- who was 21 and known for doing a horrible job but kissing upper managements feet. She got her feelings hurt when she heard that the whole department didn't agree with her being promoted and one by one fired every. one. of us. HR said that it was because I wasn't completing one certain task-- they had given it to me 2 days before I was fired.

Whatever, one month later, I landed an amazing job with awesome bosses.

The company you just described will survive in the short term, however that kind of culture usually results in a collapse. Sometimes the failure is swift, other times dragged out over several years..... but they do typically wash out after some period of time.

They were beginning to go under when I left, but with Covid, business is probably booming for them because it was for medical billing. They have a hard time keeping good workers though; I see them trying to fill the role I was in all the time.
  • MrAcavano
    MrAcavano Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don’t get sent to HR. I live there :(
  • BraydanTaffy
    BraydanTaffy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I was once called to HR at 4:45pm on a Friday to be fired.

Oh, please... as if that will stop me from re-entering the bldg.

giphy.gif
  • tmanfive
    tmanfive Posts: 1,365 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I told a dude who was under performing that I would not stop riding his *kitten* until one of three things happened. He straightened up, he was fired, or he was hanging from the rafters by his neck.

He was a less than stellar employee 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Sixteen_Tons
    Sixteen_Tons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was called on the carpet for passing wind in my cubical. The young lady who lodged the complaint wasn't even supposed to be in that area, Apparently if passing wind is eminent I was expected to leave my cubical, walk down a long hall to the restroom and release. Nearly lost my job, no bonus or raise that year.
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh the memories. So I'm big on sarcasm...an office "Karen" thought she was ratting me out by telling a supervisor I was taking a shortcut to improve work productivity. The next morning I purchased a block of sharp cheddar cheese and placed it on her desk. She lacked a sense of humor, chose violence, threw it in my direction and reported ME to HR - for giving her cheese. My conversation with HR resulted in her being written up for the attempted cheese assault, it was pretty comical 😂

And no I was not reprimanded for improving work productivity or placing cheese on her desk...
  • Sixteen_Tons
    Sixteen_Tons Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its been my experience that small companies do tailor their HR policies to the moment. That being said, I never could spend more than 3 years in a big company. When we were acquired, the new HR person made it abundantly clear that she considered the workforce lower then whale*kitten*, and she didn't give a rats*kitten* if we liked it or not. The complaint the workforce had was that they had ended 401K matching, and doubled the cost of health insurance. That company had 1000+ employees and lasted another three years.

Ten years later my partners and I started a company of less than 50 people, when we formed the company we set down 4 simple tenants we would run the company by.

1. No ties required ever.
    2. Our workforce is key to our success, within the confines of not closing the doors we will do everything possible to treat them fairly and with respect.
    3. Our customers will always speak to a person when they call us. They will not be endlessly transferred through the system. It is the job of every person to let the customer know we respect their time, and will solve their issue.
    4. We will not take jobs we feel, will not allow us to put our best foot forward. The customer expects us to be 'The Pros From Dover' and we will be.

I retired from this company after 19 years with 95% retention of the workforce. We were acquired in 2019 by a much larger organization who's HR was going to 'fix'our HR policies, once again ending 401K contributions, and bonuses. to date 8 of the 10 key players has left the company, and the workforce turnover is in the double digits. I give it 5 years at best. What a waste.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Here's my most recent one:

My husbands grandmother just passed away (so my grandmother in-law). They decided ahead of time that they would want to have the viewing/funeral on a Tuesday. I put my request for a bereavement day in for Tuesday. 10-20 minutes later, I get a call on my phone to come to HR. I go to her office and proceed to be told that my bereavement request is being denied and that if I want to attend the funeral I will have to take a PTO day to do so as she is not my immediate family. Is it a big deal to take a PTO day? ... absolutely not but it just felt really cold...

** I also work with my father-in-law so it was his mother-in-law, his request was approved
    ** My grandparents have all passed and I never had a relationship with them because of the distance. I've been closer to my husbands grandparents than my own as they are in the same area.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    Not me, but a coworker once got placed on a one-week unpaid leave because he held a banana like a pretend gun and went "pew pew" towards another coworker. (It wasn't even the "target" who complained, but an outside observer.)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,020 Member
    Options
    While not an HR complaint, I feel this falls in a similar vein to some of the other posts in this thread...

When I was active duty military, my commander called me into his office to tell me I was taking on an additional duty. The job had been vacant for 3 years since the previous person retired, but I should see what I can do about bringing it back to life.

So I spent a month going over old records, tracking down old meeting attendees so I could restart the meetings, completed all the training I needed to do the job. I was all set, and just in time for a big base inspection.

During the inspection my program received a poor grade because of the 3 years of inactivity, along with not being up to date on certain changes to the program which had been implemented nation-wide during that span, though the inspector did note I was otherwise doing everything correctly.

Following the inspection, my commander called me back into his office, chewing me up one side and down the other, wanting to know why I had personally allowed the unit to receive such a poor score.

?????