WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options

My frustrations, read at your own risk.
    I have many friends and family on Facebook, people I know to be smart, educated people. This whole pandemic thing has made me question so many of them. They share the anti-masking posts, cite how it’s all a hoax, etc, etc. I just want to scream at them and tell them that I can’t believe how stupid they are. I would remove them as friends but the rest of the years I’ve known them they aren’t like this. I understand people are getting tired and frustrated by all of the restrictions and the different changes all the time are confusing but it’s not that hard to put a mask on and wash your hands!

My cousin yesterday angered me because she asked me how many cases had to be in our home before I didn’t have to work. I told her that I am essential as I do payroll for the whole facility and pay the vendors. I also told her that I will be trained in feeding and toileting the residents so that if we have too many staff out sick I can help. She told me I shouldn’t put myself at risk that way and should refuse to do it. I know my cousin to be a kind and loving person and couldn’t believe what I was reading. I responded to her and told her that I would be mighty pissed if my Mom starved to death or had to sit in her own soil when there was someone capable but just not willing to do it. That silenced her.

I am just so tired of it all. Thanks for letting me vent.

Tracey in Edmonton

I have similar friends and family.
    I work in the industry and it is so annoying when I see those sorts of messages ... and messages about health officials altering data etc. No, we're not altering data. It doesn't work like that. Sigh. Just a bunch of people with absolutely no idea how things actually are and how things work.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,962 Member
    Options
    Debbie I had a torn retina a few years ago and had it repaired as soon as I could I did not want to risk a detached retina which requires even more intensive intervention. The retinologist told me if it would detach I would not see as well out of that eye.

(((Flea)))

Reading a book I got from the library titled Beating the Flu. I got it because I wanted to know if there was more I could do to keep well. I found it an interesting read. It is motivating me to be watching my diet better and to eat even more fruits and veggies so I can strengthen my immune system.

:heart: Margaret

I will be making my appointment soon.
    I am hoping that after they fix it the floaters eventually go away- they are so annoying
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,747 Member
    Options
    Flea - so sorry for your loss.

Beth - I hope the agency is reprimanded and your son is safe in the meantime. As a person that used to manage staff that aren’t supervised it’s usually the quality of staff which is directly related to wages that causes the issues.

Machka - it’s so frustrating!

Just got the word we are puppy sitting this weekend!

Should keep us busy.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,713 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Im awake and cant sleep so im watching TV ,hopefully i can go back to sleep.
    Rori- thanks for stopping in,sure hope your caregiving experience is working ok,and you get a little. But of me time.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    FLEA 😢😢
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    HEATHER Happy Anniversary 🎉🎉

Watching Queens Gambit love it the clothes, music, settings even makes chess games exciting.

Kate UK ❤️
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,161 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Morning all. I just lost a long post. Suffice to say that I feel like Heather as there are so many people to whom I I want to give hugs.
    Flea, Lisa, Tracey, Ginny, Allie, Beth, Julie, Rori, Rita, and others: (((Hugs))) and positive vibes for good resolution.

I may not be able to actually knock on your door, but I am praying for you, for all of us really .....

☘️ Terri

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    The weather was so glorious first thing this morning, despite a really cold night, that I decided we would break with our normal exercise regime and go for a walk together like a real old couple. :D<3 Soooooo glad we did. The sea was like glass and there were at least 50 people swimming and around 20 people paddleboarding. The promenade was busy with runners, walkers, and a few people doing yoga! The sun shone until the last few minutes.
    We walked as far as the Peace Angel so managed 4 miles. Home now for coffee.

All our presents were great. DH gave me a well reviewed biography of Charles de Gaulle, amongst other things. :D Mine to him included a bottle of Crème de Menthe as a bit of a joke. We are now waiting for a cold to make the most of it.

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: chiro, Freddie’s, post office, recycling, take BP.
    Bonus: one load laundry, stroll with T, paid off high interest roof loan with low interest IRA proceeds.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, return stove guy’s call and FINISH cleaning Aunt Elsie’s stove, type hymns, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 17, submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Sleeping with the Devil, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs. Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments
    New Ways November
    19: Broaden your perspective, read a different paper, magazine or website: does BBC news count?

Joe walked the dogs down the drive to the powerline today for the second time since his surgery ordeal began. Feeling thankful!

The very happiest of birthdays, Annie! Thanks for the info. Just what I needed, but then I read “…The study further found that metabolic responses may be modulated by factors other than exercise, including a person’s sex and body mass index, with obesity possibly conferring partial resistance to the benefits of exercise. NOT what I wanted to hear, but I’ll try dancing in 12 minute chunks anyway.
    Allie :love: your positive attitude, keep it up girlfriend! Glad you’re past the first procedure and able to drink and eat, at least for awhile. Thank you for keeping us posted. Prayers continue.
    Lisa Halelujah for that nurse overnighting your meds.
    Welcome @mlivermore15 in VA!
    Heather, the very happiest of new boyfriend anniversaries to you and Johnny! That walk sounds divine!
    Barbie “the history of toilet paper???” :laugh: “I am grateful that I have so few people to talk to. It limits the annoying things I hear.” :laugh: I really admire your attitude of gratitude.
    Sheri in OH, con VERY gratulations for taking off those 10 lbs!
    Flea ((hugs)) hardest but lovingest :cry: ((hugs))
    Julie the stroll was fabulous. We have a little break from the winter rainstorms, it was 55F, blue skies and calm winds, felt like 70F! This strolling buddy and I always laugh a lot together, soothes the soul. Hope you can take much satisfaction for the progress the workers’ rights issue is making.
    Rita Fingers X’d your using Scan’n’Go avoided exposure at Sam’s. How’s the weather there? Can you get outside to work off some of the frustration?
    Sue in WA your labradoodle’s raincoat antics made me laugh.
    Vicki just reading about your work schedule exhausts me. Hope the interviews went well and workers are willing.
    Michele do you know what hurt your foot? How long will it take you to drive to Iowa? Please be safe, my peeps there tell me it’s a real C-19 hotspot.
    @charsuzy nice steps/profile pic. Well done!
    Tracey Brava for speaking truth. Hope that gave your cousin a different perspective. Fear can blind us. Looking forward to puppysitting stories and pics.
    Ginny “clear what I can at one time and go back to the stuff and decide on more” makes perfect sense. Alas, sometimes when I’m adding to the donate pile, my hand reaches out on its own and says “oh no, not THIS!” :laugh:
    Debbie 4 small avocados for $1? OH how I miss California produce and its prices!
    Beth “sad”? Horrific! Enraged!!! And yes ultimately very very very sad.
    Rori always happy to see your smiling face.
    Margaret :love: your immediate self care actions (retina repair, “beat the flu”). Does Drew have snow booties for those 4 walks a day?
    Katla what you said about “You should…” Truth that. I’m thinking it would take some kind of heat lamp/disco ball to brighten my mood, it’s so very very dark out there.
    Machka what you said about how things actually are and how things work. I believe we’re seeing first hand the effectiveness of propaganda/doublespeak. :devil:

Just realized I forgot zoom Bible study. Oops!

You know you’re hungry when you start eyeing the pile of training kibble on the desk. :laugh: That's NOT popcorn!!!

Off to bed.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    November: better than October.
    daily: sit with Joe: 18, weigh: 19, steps>5491=9087 vits=19 log=19 CI<CO=16 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=19 mfp=19 outside=16 up hill=15
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=0 rx=3 dance=1 clean 30 mins=6.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=12 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Adding photos from our couple weeks away almost a month ago now!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/

On Oct 28, we took a trip into the northern town of Deloraine and had a look at the little shops in town, then went just out of town to a place called Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm where we had pancakes with raspberries. The farm has a little path around a pond to the edge of where the raspberries are grown.

wy9mj6zqfyz7.png

One of the towns we stayed in celebrates aspects of the town and the people who lived there. At least a couple of our ladies here should be able to identify what those big white things are ... only they aren't usually that big!

rbmc0h0v80p0.png

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Ah, Flea, I'm so very sorry. One of my favorite authors said: "Joy shared is doubled; pain shared is halved. Thus we refute entropy." Sharing our love with others, whether with two legs or four, is part of how we anchor ourselves to this planet, I think. When they have loved us back, we truly become a part of something larger than ourselves. They deserve our tears. I'm glad you could lean on us, and that you were there for your son.

Heather - Happy Anniversary to you and Johnny! Here's to many, many more.

Beth - I am beyond words about the treatment of your son. To have someone who is paid to care for his well-being treat him in that fashion is not just cruel but criminal. Hopefully you can get them replaced with some who care.

Allie
    - Hope today's tests go well, my dear, and that they find a clear path forward to a resolution for you.

Debbie - Hope the retinal tear is an easy fix...

Slept well last night, and grateful for it. Lots of insomnia of late, and I think things are leveling out to the point where I can begin exercising once more, which should help with sleeping. Tried ten minutes on the elliptical a couple weeks back, before I knew about the afib, so it was pretty rough. Today is the third day on the meds for the afib. It's started to drop my resting heart rate already, but not necessarily my heart rate when I'm walking or otherwise active. The meds reach their top capacity within a week, and then, if needed, can adjust the dose with the doctor.

TMI
    Weird tight rope I'm walking with two health things going on that may or may not have anything to do with each other. December 1, I'll start what is hopefully the last ten-day regiment of antibiotics for the bacterial overgrowth in my gut. But starting this week, I've been so gaseous that I feel like a hot air balloon in the afternoons and evenings. And honestly, the smell is enough to make a skunk blanch.

None of the gas preparations help so far. To cheer me up, I've decided to believe that the odoriferous emissions from my nether regions are the final exhale of each bacteria as they expire. I need that assurance when I see my husband with his nose buried in his shirt, trying not to breathe once more, since he heard the pffft as I walked by. Bless him.

Lab tests this morning for kidney function, as the diuretic action has finally slowed down to about a quarter pound loss a day. Unfortunately, the edema has not diminished AT ALL. Hopefully not a permanent state of affairs.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    ((Flea)). So sorry about your doggie. :'(

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Hugs Flea!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Flea
    So glad you were with your beloved pup but understand that it was not an easy thing to go through. Karen in VA and I both lost our beloved pups since the beginning of the year and I still think of mine every day.

Lisa
    I agree that maybe all the gas is a sign that those little devils in your system are being evicted. At least, I hope so.

Beth
    Those workers with your son are just showing their lazy no-good sides. I am so sorry that this keeps happening and hope you can get some help getting it corrected for him.

Heather
    Happy Anniversary!

Allie
    So glad you are getting the care that you need.

Good Wishes and Prayers to All who need them. (((Hugs)))

Carol in GA

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    (((Flea)))

(((Beth)))

(((Allie)))
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,058 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Debbie the floaters I noticed were caused by the bleeding a torn retina causes. They did go away. I know I still have floaters but my eye has adjusted to them and I don't noticed them. Vision was just as good after repair. Your eye doctor should send you to a retinologist to do the repair. I am surprised he did not send you immediately. My mom had a detached retina so I knew how serious my eye problem was. If what looks like a black curtain comes down in that eye immediately go to an emergency room that means retiana detached and the outcome for that eye depends how quickly it becomes fixed. It is a medical emergency if this happens. I was told fixing the retina 1-20 chance still of detached retina without fix 1-3. Until this is fixed be careful with anything that adds pressure to your eye like bending over, do not lift anything heavy, and what isn't a problem right now flying. Your doctor should have told you these things. I think what caused mine was age, antibiotics, and a bad fall. I had not had cataract surgery, but that also is a risk factor in this.

After reading the book Beating the Flu by J.E.Williams conclusion my best defense against this current outbreak is to get my immune system as strong as I can. COVID had not come out yet, but he did talk about SARS which in terms of how sick it makes you is similar. His advice against that is applicable to COVID. It is interesting he talked about what must be done to lessen an outbreak. One reason I think Asia is doing better than us is they learned the lessons from SARS and were better prepared. They knew what to do. Another reason this is so nasty is the incubation period being so long. and it can be passed on longer with people who are sick or do not show symptoms.

He also talked about a vaccine. A vaccine will hopefully lessen the illness just like a flu shot lessens the flu. Again the best thing for people in out age group is to build a strong immune system.

This group is great in helping me achieve my goal for a better immune system because we encourage and model to each other healthy ways of living.

Barbara Drew at this point will have nothing to do with boots. I just want them on her when people start using salt to keep down the ice. Not a problem yet. I have put on a wool sweater and a harness jacket over to keep her warm. We are getting a bit of warmer weather so just the harness coat for now.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,931 Member
    Options
    <3