Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    kqbp6xptbzuo.png
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Lisa “…final exhale of each bacteria as they expire” Hold that thought! Sending good vibes for the kidney test and praying the edema dissipates overnight.
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

The basic metabolic tests (including kidney and liver) showed me absolutely normal on everything (yay). The doc also threw in a magnesium test, so all my electrolytes were tested--many showed low in October and early November, but have all leveled out. Much like Heather (below) being able to see my results online can be quite reassuring. The chances my doc would call me up and tell me I'm normal are zero, but by seeing the test results, I don't have to worry between now and my next appointment which could be January.
    :smiley:
    And while not dissipating completely, the edema has subsided somewhat this morning for the first time in a couple weeks. Also, per my Fitbit, my resting heart rate has dropped from 101 to 93, so the beta blocker is apparently beginning to work. While I know the Fitbit is not very accurate in terms of the number, the percentage of the change it shows should be reasonably right. As a baseline number, my resting heart rate showed mid-70s just eight months ago.
    Blood test results back and the receptionist scared the life out of me by sending a text asking me to schedule a "same day" appointment to see the doctor. ... It could still be the thing I thought it was , autoimmune Sjogren's Syndrome, or just a familial thing. Anyway, I am not panicking, but I am not impressed by the way they send out scary texts. :#
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Glad that none of your results were too far away from normal, Heather, and that you were able to see them online! I do wonder sometimes how the docs feel about people who educate themselves about their results, and whether they feel we are stepping on their professional toes. Not that it would change my behavior - knowing what the numbers mean is very important to me, as it obviously is to you. Inquiring minds want to know!

Lisa in AR
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Glad that none of your results were too far away from normal, Heather, and that you were able to see them online! I do wonder sometimes how the docs feel about people who educate themselves about their results, and whether they feel we are stepping on their professional toes. Not that it would change my behavior - knowing what the numbers mean is very important to me, as it obviously is to you. Inquiring minds want to know!

Lisa in AR

When I lived in Canada, Drs seemed very reluctant to let me see results. They'd tell me the results and they might type a letter about the results, but would rarely give me a copy of the actual result.

I moved to Australia in 2009, and GPs here give me a copy of the actual results. They explain them to some extent, but then print and hand them to me. So I get copies of "complete bloodwork" with exactly what my levels of everything are and an indication of what "normal" is. Then a comment at the end pointing out if there are any particular areas that are a concern.

So in my husband's situation, I have a file box full of his results and related things now.

M in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,085 Member
    Options
    Morning peeps.

It's a beautiful morning so planning an outside walk to our local shops for fresh provisions.

Yesterday, while at the fishmonger's at the Marina, we took the opportunity to go a nearby small gift shop and start on our Xmas present list. I am also working on my Xmas card list. I make a lot of my own cards and have some from last year which I will work on adding to this week.

On Wednesday we went up to my DED's to celebrate her birthday with her. She had added both extensions to her dining table so we were well distanced, washed hands frequently, and masked when necessary. Grandson was at school. It was good to talk face to face, albeit 6' apart.

The mechanics of getting together at Christmas would be difficult, so we are hoping for good weather so that we can maybe have an outdoor get together. If not we will have to explore a ZOOM or Skype dinner party.

Lisa: It must be a comfort to know that things are going in the right direction for you. I'm sure it's refreshing for the doctor to have an informed patient like you who asks intelligent questions.
    Heather: I suppose we have to get used to these text messages. At least you were able to go online and put your mind at rest, and know what questions you want to ask the doctor when you have your consultation.

🕊 Pax Vobiscum 🕊

☘️ Terri
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Annie
    Happy Belated Birthday!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Annie xoxo
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Michele, in cases per 1,000,000 people, Iowa is number 3-nearly twice the US average. Idaho is number 7. More populated states like NY, CA and TX are lower on the scale. Oregon is not a heavily populated state, we are 47th in cases per million, thanks to our Governor’s taking tough actions early and often, despite pushback from rural politicos. Will you travel through Tennessee, Missouri and Illinois? All 3 have more than the average cases per million. In this link, scroll down to the table by state, and sort by the Tot cases/1 M pop column. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
    Both Iowa and Illinois have statewide mask mandates as well other restrictions, e.g. grocery store capacity, outdoor dining. If it were me, I’d stay home and FaceTime or Zoom Thanksgiving. Hope your foot feels better fast and your trip is safe.
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

Michelle, is your journey really necessary? And I think Denise is being very sensible by not wanting to put her family at risk.

:)Michele, The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has recommended staying home for Thanksgiving, not even going to someone's house in the same town.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

[/quote]

:)Michele, The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has recommended staying home for Thanksgiving, not even going to someone's house in the same town.[/quote

Here are CDC guidelines for the holidays. Also, note that these are GUIDELINES ONLY, and Local, County, and State emergency order mandates (NOT LAWS) apply and may be enforced with arrest, fines, and/or jail time.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/holidays.html

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🤍🤎💚❤️🧡🖤💜💙💛
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I was rudely awakened for a blood draw at 5:25 this morning so now I am awake..
    I know there is a risk of death in most anything but open heart surgery is a biggie.
    I have texted everything to Tracy,where everything is etc...
    Tom and Elena have Alfie..
    And bless my dear friends they cleaned my place yesterday...So all is set if the unfortunate happens it does
    There is always a little apprehension .but I got this.. and ill be better before I know it..😃

It's normal and understandable to be nervous, but you are in the very best place you can be, and your doctors and care providers are not going to let anything happen to you. My dad's first open heart surgery was very early on in the process -- 1960, before I was born. He didn't have a great chance of survival (and my mom pregnant with me), but he survived. His second was in 1973 -- still a brutal time for such procedures -- and while his recovery was weeks, he came through and thrived. He lived to be 70, when at 22, my mom was told he might not live to be 30.

All that to say -- if my dad can come through it under such brutal circumstances, you will do great! I predict that you are going to feel like a new woman once your recovery is over. I am very happy for you.

But I will also continue praying, peace for you, and for stable hands and wise decisions for your medical staff.

Take care. We are here with you.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your kind thoughts and virtual hugs during this difficult time for my family. We are moving quickly through the stages of grief, I think because we knew it was coming. Thursday was rough, yesterday was better, and today, I feel ready for a puppy. We have a cat, and I am a cat person, but we are also very much dog people, and we really want to have a dog. My husband and I have never been without a dog. The house doesn't feel right.

Hubby has already begun searching, but because of the freeze, most shelters are closed to adoptions. So we will try to be patient and hope for a new addition to our incomplete family soon.

Take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We have several strawberry plants and I've been pulling off one or two each day, but today, I picked a bowl of them!

xpgkolvj9lwi.png

M in Oz

I know you have had your winter, but it's really tough to see those beautiful days and those strawberries when we are so cold and gloomy. We didn't see the sun at all yesterday jn the PNW, and I am not sure we are going to see it today either.

I am so happy for you, Machka, and your new more relaxed way of living. Enjoy!!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • OregonMother
    Options
    Thanks for the birthday wishes! I had a great day. My mom made me a birthday cake. I'm getting a new phone but I'm waiting to see if the price drops next week.

The sad thing is that once again my daughter ignored me. I haven't seen her since 2016, and she stopped returning my texts. Nothing for Mother's Day, so I stopped texting her after that. So I guess we are estranged now.

Annie in Delaware

I'm sorry about your daughter, Annie. But it was nice of your mother to make a cake. Happy belated birthday.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    &