Guys/Girls: What is your real opinion on..

Replies

• CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Guys/girls:

Whats your reaction to ex reaching out to you months to year or longer after break up?

1. Curious and wanna catch up
    2. Don't ever contact me again
    3. Curious and may wanna grab drinks or more
    4. Restraining order
    5. Name your own ...

My reaction is usually “huh, they must have something big going on in their life” and that tends to be accurate. I’ve had exes reach out to tell me they’re getting married or having a baby or something. Other times it’s “I’m away on a business trip and remembered that time we..” 🤦🏼‍♀️

But in general I’m always happy to hear from them. They’re all humans that I got to know quite well, and the idea of severing all contact feels unnecessarily harsh.

I’ve had people do that to me, though, and I understand the reasoning.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Guys/girls:

Whats your reaction to ex reaching out to you months to year or longer after break up?

4. Restraining order
    5. Name your own ...

As a man... I just will never be able to find it in me to shut someone out... Regardless why life may have took us down different paths...

Once a friend always a friend, and that's not something I say on the outside and try to cultivate inside, that's something that is deep inside, that comes outside...

But I realize it's different for women in today's society... They generally have to be much more guarded...
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    hey this is a great segue into:

so guys/girls of MFP, what *would* make you cut someone off entirely?

i'd say let's start with it from the perspective of a lover/former/situationship etc etc, but you can expand it to friends/acquaintances if the first doesn't apply.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    CacoEther wrote: »
    Guys/girls:

4. Restraining order
    5. Name your own ...

My reaction is usually “huh, they must have something big going on in their life” and that tends to be accurate. I’ve had exes reach out to tell me they’re getting married or having a baby or something. Other times it’s “I’m away on a business trip and remembered that time we..” 🤦🏼‍♀️

But in general I’m always happy to hear from them. They’re all humans that I got to know quite well, and the idea of severing all contact feels unnecessarily harsh.

I’ve had people do that to me, though, and I understand the reasoning.

... meanwhile they only show up in my life when they want something or are bored.
  • KosmosKitten
    iMago wrote: »

i'd say let's start with it from the perspective of a lover/former/situationship etc etc, but you can expand it to friends/acquaintances if the first doesn't apply.

Deep seeded narcissism you know won't change. People who have clinical NPD have no capacity for true emotions towards others/that aren't self-serving. You can't change them, they won't work on their issues, seek therapy or do anything that is beneficial to anyone but themselves.
  • iMago
    Guys, when a girl asks you two or maybe three questions in a message, why do you only answer one of them?
    I want the answers to the others too damnit 😂

jeez stop asking so many questions its like you trying to put together an FBI profile on someone smh
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member

I may walk away from time to time, but I never turn away...
  • KosmosKitten

Anyone who has sexually assaulted myself or that I know (100% verified) has sexually assaulted others. If they engage in stalking behaviors, narcissistic behaviors (not just traits, but full blown behavior like gaslighting, manipulation, withholding emotion or sex, etc.). Given that I have been in situations with individuals who have engaged in or are guilty of these things, I think that cutting them off was the only sane solution.

These people are "toxic" in the truest sense of the word. They will do nothing but take until you are a shell of your former self. Not worth any vested interest on my part.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2020

It's not really 1 single thing, it's the sum product of all the things.

Relationships are ultimately transactional. You get something from the other person, the other person gets something from you. Relationships don't work when those transactions get too far out of balance, too lopsided. If a relationship is unbalanced to the point it becomes problematic (rather than typical ebbs and flows), then I have no use for the person and dealing with them becomes taxing, at best. Why would I want that?

For context, I have very little interest in casual relationships/interactions. Either I'm all in or I'm all out. Small talking social butterfly I am not.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member

Gaslighting, manipulation and/or constant deceitfulness (to me or if I know they do it to others). That kind of energy is to be avoided, imho

For the sake of clarity, I'll tell them about themselves (from my pov) before the cut off though.
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Guys/Ladies: When you respond with an LOL, are you really lol'ing? Do you just not have a response and use it just because?

z0hy1gvsbaie.gif
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,843 Member
    Guys/Ladies: When you respond with an LOL, are you really lol'ing? Do you just not have a response and use it just because?

Lol is usually my response when a guy, or @PaperDoll_ asks for a nude

My response when someone asks for one of your nudes is “cash or credit”? 😏😂
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member

I'll do a thumbs up emoticon if I need to acknowledge a message without actually saying anything. lol can be for anything from a quiet internal chuckle to a literal laugh out loud.
  • KosmosKitten

I ":lol: because I'm amused. ... is for when I have nothing to say or am speechless.

• iMago

lol
  • CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member

I never

ever

ever

say ‘LOL’

It’s lol

Which means nothing and may as well be a period.
  • PaperDoll_ wrote: »

Lol is usually my response when a guy, or @PaperDoll_ asks for a nude

My response when someone asks for one of your nudes is “cash or credit”? 😏😂

that'll be my store credit, please