WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 942 Member
    Katla - Yes, prescription in progress, but doesn't seem to be working at all.

Tina
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    Katla - Thank you, the snow is pretty now if it just came with warm weather!
    ❄️⛄️❄️
    I haven’t seen any shortages here yet except for Disinfectant wipes.
    I don’t like taking Christmas down. It always seems so dark and bare.

Evelyn - we usually have an agreement that I don’t decorate until after his Mom’s birthday which is Wednesday. I just needed some cheer at home since work is so sad right now and he understands that. So he hid in the bedroom and let me decorate on Saturday. Last night he asked me when I was going to be done because he feels like I usually do more. That’s the first time he’s ever commented about me not doing enough, it’s usually opposite. 🎄

Barbie - thank you. I noticed driving in to that that more people have decorated this weekend. It was very pretty driving in.

Barbara - that is scary stuff Joe shared with you. You need to count your blessings from that conversation. I was hoping to read that his appointment today was all good news.

Tina - I would see someone else too and not wait until January.

Heather - I love your gifts for Johnny! Your visit with your friend sounds like it will be wonderful!

Margaret- I watched that Tom Hanks movie a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it too.

Rebecca- I think we all do that with movies when we are well versed in the topic. I hope you enjoy the movie when you watch it. I have been watching a Christmas movie every night that I’ve recorded that way I can bypass the commercials.

I have 14 battery operated Christmas light displays from or things. I don’t light some of the decorations each night but I do all 11 sets of lights!

Thanks for the new month Barbie. Hard to believe it’s December already.
    I was told today that I am getting a raise retroactive to April, that’s a nice little Christmas bonus.

Work update - Can be upsetting so please be warned.
    I was dreading going to work today as I knew on Friday we had more positive cases in our residents. I was in tears today when I found out that we had 17 more. 4 have now passed. It’s heartbreaking and happened so easily. The one positive resident that is still showing no symptoms spread it to everyone else. Because he was symptom free he wasn’t isolated soon enough.

I don’t interact with many of the residents even on normal times, the ones I have dealings with are still pretty cognizant and can get around on their own. Today one of the ones I really liked passed.

It’s terrible dealing with this at work and then I come home and see so many friends and family sharing how it’s all a hoax, it’s no worse than the flu, etc etc it makes it even worse. We have lost more residents since last Wednesday than we have in the last 6 months.

My husband is trying hard to stay positive and to make me laugh. I don’t know how I’ll ever forgive myself if I bring this home to him. I’m taking every precaution I’m told to, staying in my office and out of the units but it still worries me.

I haven’t given my girls the update from today, I need to because it’s posted on our homes FB page, but they both suffer from anxiety and I don’t want to worry them. I’m so torn.

One of the Nurses at work bought Poinsettias to support a local charity. She bought one for each of the admin staff to cheer us up. I cried when I read the note and she thanked us for all we do. It’s beautiful. I’ll post a picture next.

Tracey in Edmonton

(((((((hugs))))))) Tracey!
  • Whidislander
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP
    Bonus: wrapped up return, one load laundry, changed linens, vacuumed 30 mins, emailed line dance step sheets, de-greased two burners
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Tuesday: pick out glasses, update Joe’s rx list and re-choose his Part D.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments
    New Ways November
    30: Look for reasons to be hopeful, even in difficult times: talk less, listen more, words of hope come from the most unexpected mouths!

Barbie, thanks so much for starting us off fresh as always

Thanks all for the positive energy. Good news, pressure down to 16 in left eye, 20 in right. Dr. got the right down to 16 by pressing below eye “real hard.” Joe had stopped doing that because it hurt, but now he’ll go back to it. New rx. Next followup in two months. Slow progress but progress. Joe has not been completely “released” from his surgeon, so I won’t rush back to inside gatherings. Since Medford is in an extreme risk range I will continue for another two weeks to limit inside exposure to grocery shopping. After that, if our county is still in the “moderate risk” range, might try church on the 13th.

Julie “…I asked that the criticiser see the difference between criticising actions and approaches and criticising people in over-arching terms.” Good for you. This is an important boundary to set and maintain, even though it means constant reinforcing. Brava. And I agree about those who lie about the little things… faithful in small… That was sure a scary communication “bug”, relieved Dr. said “no cancer.”
    Fae :laugh: nope won’t be telling “the spin these ladies are putting on it…” ;)
    Tina “…for the guys to take on their boats after their dives” sounds intriguing. What are they diving for?
    Rebecca I can just see you sitting on the lunch counter belting out the Don Ho song. What a delightful image, you made me smile!
    Tracey ((hugs)) Are your daughters likely to check your work’s FB page? If so, I’d call and tell them myself, and ask them to let me cry on their shoulders. If not, then I’d just cry on my DH or the pup. Some people will believe it’s a hoax until someone they love gets sick and dies. I can’t imagine anything you could say or do that would change their minds. ((hugs))
    Michele welcome home!

Stopped at Freddie’s on the way home from line dancing at the port Sunday. It was light when I went in, dark when I came out. To my surprise and joy there were holiday light displays all along the highway in front of most stores. These are the displays that normally make up “Nature’s Coastal Holiday” event that C-19 cancelled. https://naturescoastalholiday.com/ Lifted my spirits so much I called a friend to let her know. We’ll make a date to drive around and look. Not many in my neighborhood, only 5 houses on our 3 mile long dirt lane and so far see no lights. Won’t be walking in the dark. ;)

November Summary and December Plan
    Dogs, CICO, AF, vits, outside, up hill all need improvement. Sitting with Joe and average steps YAY!

Dec 1: ???? vs Nov 1:143.3 will update tomorrow morning
    daily: sit with Joe: 87% steps= 63%/61%, vits= 97%/100% log=100%/100% CI<CO= 87%/97% CI<250<CO= 53%71% Tumble&Shadow 5/10= 97%/113% mfp=100%/100% AF= 63%/65% outside= 83%/97%, up hill=80%/94% cleaning 274%/100%
    wkly: BBBorTC x3= 0%/0%, dance x2=33%/11% walk with Tracie and the dogs instead of pack walk x2=25%/25%, rx=100%/100% review progress on 20 for 20: bupkes/. monthly: board mtg=100%/100% grant= 11
    December resolve-maintain November’s most important (Joe) improve dogs, CICO
    Daily: sit next to Joe for at least a little while, weigh, more steps than Nov average, vits, log, CI<CO, CI <250 CO, 5 mins training or grooming Tumble or Shadow, check in mfp, get outside, walk up hill.
    Weekly cleaning 2x half hour, TC or BB&B x 3, dance x 2, Rx and review 20 for 20.
    Monthly: board and council meetings, grant progress.
    Bonus: AF: , play: , sew something: .

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 26, weigh: 30, steps>5505=7022 vits=28 log=30 CI<CO=26 CI<250<CO=15 Tumble & Shadow 5=29 mfp=30 outside=25 up hill=24
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=4 dance=3 clean 30 mins=23.33
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=18 play=0 sew=0

:-) When I was 4 years old I had eye surgery to fix my eyes crossing a bit. My mom said that when the nurses were wheeling me away I asked my mom if the nurses would like me to sing a song. Of course I picked Jesus Loves Me, and my mom said after I left, she burst out crying...Of all the songs I could have sung I had to pick that one..<3
    Rebecca

• Whidislander
    Katla I think it was you that commented on seeing Don Ho live in Hawaii. Do you know that my grandmother (paternal) that was a singer, sang with him at a show?? She was so excited! This is her in the 1980's.ykrwz94ab59g.jpg

<3
    Rebecca
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,789 Member
    B)
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    :)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 16min 52sec, 3.50ap, 93ahr, 128mhr, 187elev, 8.25mi= 772c
    Strava app = 999c
    Walk 2 get nails done- 24.32min, 2.85ap, 1.25mi= 116c
    Strava app = 152c
    Walk to stores- 28.04min, 1.28mi= 158c
    Strava app = 156c

Total cal 1046
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    Well, I actually exercised today. I figure I can still do strength training, just not the lunges.

Work tomorrow and the plumber is supposed to be here about the faucet in the kitchen. It’ll drip, then stop, then drip, and so on.

Went to the podiatrist. He agreed that what I have on the bottom of my left foot is a callus. He said to me “as we get older, the cushioning between our skin and the bone wears away”. I don’t like that “as we get older” part….lol And about the right food he said (surprise, surprise ) that yup, I have a stress fracture (what’d I tell you?) and that I should wear the boot for 2 or 3 more weeks. I have an appt. on the 22nd for him to take another x-ray and hopefully it’ll be healed. He did give me orthotics. I feel like I’m getting old

Tracey – when we look at the people on Great Christmas Light Fights, they use a lot of the same equipment we use and we know that they’ve spent LOTS of money. What they won on GCLF is just a drop in the bucket. Actually, Disney uses the same controllers that we use. We haven’t invested mega-bucks like some of the people. I’m with Tina – I could never work in the home like you do. I’d get too attached to the people and it would hurt way too much if something weren’t right for them.

Beth – that’s wonderful about your son’s test being negative.

Katla – believe it or not, Colby STILL hasn’t decided if he wants to go to Idaho or not. So Jess is coming here. I’m glad that she’s not just going to sit around and wait for him to decide. I, personally, hope he decides it’s not good at this time, but I know that I can’t tell him what to do.

Made a loaf of sourdough bread. It’s cooling right now.

Barbara – thanks for that link. Hey! We have that manger scene!!! Vince built arches like the ones they have. There are those (I don’t know what they are called) small “arches” on the ground and it looks like the lights are rushing back and forth. I’ve always wanted Vince to make some, but I’m not sure where we’d put them unless we did it all around the front yard as the “fence”. Happy to hear about Joe’s eyes

SuziQ – oh, the stores have been wiping down the carts. And if they don’t (like WalMart), they provide wipes for you to do it. That’s the reason I was hired, they needed someone to spray down the carts. They always had a “go in this door out that door” but, honestly, some people didn’t bother. Now they have the “out” door locked from the inside so you can only go out.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    Barbara - Great news about Joe’s eyes.
    I actually talked to both girls and we have decided that I will continue to update them no matter what so that they hear it from me and no one else.

Beth - woohoo for the negative. He should only have one more to be in the clear correct?

Tina - I debated even applying here because of that, but I needed a job desperately so I went for the interview. I was told I wouldn’t have any interactions with the residents. I don’t have a lot but I do some. The ones I have gotten to know are the more cognizant and mobile ones. There are a lot More that I don’t know.

Flea - here in our area, shelters are screaming for people to come adopt as they have too many puppies and not enough homes.

It was a good day at work, no new positives. Had my third swab, this nurse was excellent!
    Our first positive case is now considered recovered!

Tracey in Edmonton
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,324 Member
    Well it seemed like the last few days every time I tried to get caught up, I had an interruption. Of course, three times it was my kids face timing and my grandkids won out over keeping up here1

Machka-love the dress! It is absolutely my style.

Flea-love the picture of cat under tree. Mine also think it is their special nap place.

Julie-sorry for your feelings of isolation. Those of us who live alone may feel it more-it is just tough not being able to go do things to get out of ourselves. Hope the rest of the test results provides needed information. I hate waiting for results.

Tracey-sorry for the losses at your work. Many nursing homes in my community have been hit very hard.

Allie-hope you are feeling stronger.

Working on budget for work. My business administrator has given me a good draft and I am checking her work and adding in some items. My hope is after this year she and Assistant Director will be able to handle it (I plan on this one being my last!).

Nearly finished Christmas shopping-ordered presents for three grandsons (step sons boys). His wife has yet to give me list for them. I do know gift certificates always work for them. I have one gift for them to open-a set of gnomes that light up. I will think of something else for them.

Going to venture to Walmart tomorrow morning to buy handwarmers. We are having drive through party for foster kids and parents this Saturday-want to pick up a bunch of the warmers for myself and the staff who will be working. It is usually a large in-door event with Santa, etc. We are seeing to it each child gets a present, the family gets a food gift card (we usually serve a simple lunch), and there will be cookies and snacks and a Santa in the parking lot. It is my favorite event this year and am glad we have this figured out. I have good people putting it together. I will just be there to provide whatever assistance is needed.

Well, since it took me a while to finish November and catch up with December, it is now my bedtime!

Stay safe all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Well it seemed like the last few days every time I tried to get caught up, I had an interruption. Of course, three times it was my kids face timing and my grandkids won out over keeping up here1

[

Going to venture to Walmart tomorrow morning to buy handwarmers. We are having drive through party for foster kids and parents this Saturday-want to pick up a bunch of the warmers for myself and the staff who will be working. It is usually a large in-door event with Santa, etc. We are seeing to it each child gets a present, the family gets a food gift card (we usually serve a simple lunch), and there will be cookies and snacks and a Santa in the parking lot. It is my favorite event this year and am glad we have this figured out. I have good people putting it together. I will just be there to provide whatever assistance is needed.

Well, since it took me a while to finish November and catch up with December, it is now my bedtime!

Stay safe all,

Ginny in Ohio

I loved helping at the foster kids Christmas party when we were foster parents- There was a young girl that started it and she did an amazing job each year. I loved helping with the gift wrapping and picking toys for each of the kids. This was something she started as a project and everyone really helped her with it. Another girl took over with an organization and it only lasted a year. I am not involved with them at all anymore(haven't been foster parents for almost 20yrs since the told me I couldn't be both licensed daycare provider and a licensed foster parent(we had done both for quite a few years with no problem)

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,326 Member
    edited December 2020
    Katla – well, it looks like Colby made a decision. They are going to have Christmas here on the 18/19. Fly to Idaho on the 21, come back on the 26. Jess is coming here this weekend, she doesn’t know if Colby is coming with her or when he’s coming.

Truthfully, I'm kind-of surprised since I know Colby is thinking of the money and it's so much more expensive to fly out of Charlotte. But I know Jess wants to work at Banfield. I guess there is a part of me that wonders why Colby wouldn't give it up (going to Idaho) so that Jess could spend more time at Banfield. But who am I????

Michele NC
    who has to try to be happy but deep inside she isn't
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) I got a wonderful holiday greeting card from Rebecca today. She wrote a personal note to me. She said that I could share her address with anyone who would like to write to her. I know that she love communicating by mail and has many pen pals. If you want her address, let me know and I can send it to you in a private message.

:) We had more good weather today so I took the usual long walk in the morning with my friend and the dogs, a longer than usual walk after lunch with the dogs, and almost an hour's walk just at dark by myself. The full moon was just coming up as I got home.

:) Our current project is updating the file of computer passwords and it is something I can do only a little at a time. I am going to each site that we currently use and confirming the correctness of the password, or in some cases, changing the password. It will take many days (or weeks).

:)Michele, I'd rather find out that something was just the result of age rather than a symptom of a serious disease or condition.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,598 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,719 Member
    Ginny - your event on Saturday sounds like fun and needed.

Michele - Are there not rules down there for flying from state to state and then isolating? I can’t fly home to New Brunswick unless I apply for permission with my reason to the province. They will then grant or deny entry. If it is granted I would have to self isolate for 14 days before seeing anyone. I have not tried to apply to go, but know that they have denied for funerals of parents, and parents in palliative. Now anyone in NB could come here and not have to isolate.

Kim - your roommate is a treasure. I love the younger generation too, I love how they take care of one another and are loyal to their friendships.

I’m about ready to head to bed. I can’t wait to get a few days off at Christmas. I just think we’ll be alone and not have any visits with our girls. As long as the outdoor gathering of 10 or less is still allowed we will have Christmas in Kaitlyns gazebo.
    She plans on decorating it if necessary. There are only 8 of us.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Katla – well, it looks like Colby made a decision. They are going to have Christmas here on the 18/19. Fly to Idaho on the 21, come back on the 26. Jess is coming here this weekend, she doesn’t know if Colby is coming with her or when he’s coming.

Truthfully, I'm kind-of surprised since I know Colby is thinking of the money and it's so much more expensive to fly out of Charlotte. But I know Jess wants to work at Banfield. I guess there is a part of me that wonders why Colby wouldn't give it up (going to Idaho) so that Jess could spend more time at Banfield. But who am I????

Michele NC
    who has to try to be happy but deep inside she isn't

Are you not happy because of all the traveling around and thus the increased chances of catching or spreading the virus?
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    ❤️🟠💛🟢💙🟣💜🟤🖤⚪