WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Tracey- so glad you got to see and talk with your mum! The first person to be inoculated in the UK today with the Pfizer vaccine was a 90 year old woman. Care homes are high on the list. <3

I'm crossing fingers that my gluteal tendonopathy continues its improvement. Feeling so much better. Just getting around has been painful and difficult recently. I've felt really OLD. I'm trying not to do anything silly and set it off again.

Thanks all for your comments on my husband's Round Robin. One of the reasons I married him was his humour. :D<3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    (((Tina in CA: ))). I hope you feel better each day. I am sorry that healthcare is not as available as you need just now. Peter Rabbit’s mother recommends chamomile tea. I personally prefer peppermint tea. Staying hydrated is important. 😘
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Okie – that wasn’t the only thing that was needed. She knew that and she was probably afraid that I’d spend a lot of time in the store. But the truth of the matter is that I spent maybe an hour. Just got the things on my list. Now to figure out what they’ll have for dinner tomorrow. Let’s see, what do I have? I’ll probably wind up having to go to WalMart, I need gas anyway.

Lisa – so glad to hear that you’re getting better

Tracey – how wonderful for you and your mom to get to talk to each other

Tina – (((HUGS))) I wish there was something I could do. It seems that our governor just made a restriction that you can’t be out between 10 pm and 5am. This affects Food Lion a little bit since they are open until 11, but one hour isn’t much. Wonder what’ll happen to Jess’ flight into Charlotte? It’s due to be in around 11. You know something, just to be ornery what I should do is go to the food kitchen and help with the candy making. They’re supposed to be there until 10. Well, by the time I’d be getting home, it would be after 10.

Michele NC
    Who is feeling tired so may lay down for a bit
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Allie - thanks for checking in, glad they were able to get you back in rhythm, and that you've got help... keep us posted, dear heart...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tracey: Congratulations on your telephone visit with your mom, and your ipad visit is wonderful. You got to have a facetime visit! This virtual visit is a gift. :heart:

Barbara: One more comment on blue glasses--All of the blue glasses you posted with flat sections are like mine. DH says they are called a decagon. I absolutley love the color and the way they feel in my hand. They are called Vintage Anchor Hocking Essex Cobalt Blue. Only one arrived broken. DH ordered them through amazon, etsy.com, replacements & ebay. :heart:

Lanette: I will be looking for Xlear. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Katla - I looked for Xlear when I made my rounds in town this morning. None at Walmart (I didn't even see a place on the shelf for it) and Walgreens had one bottle left in the nose spray area; I let my girlfriend know and she ran over and grabbed it for her family. I placed another Amazon order for some.

Rita's recommendation using it regarding allergies let me to read more of the reviews on Amazon; others had the same comments. I don't like using Zyrtec but have been doing so lately because of the sinus headaches. Flonase would give me a nosebleed. So I'm hoping Xlear will help!!

Nightguards: Had a dental appointment this morning, teeth cleaning. All OK except I've been having tooth pain here and there, dentist said he could tell I've been grinding my teeth so I'm to use a nightguard. He said anything sold at a retail store like Walmart or drugstore will be fine.

Love my dentist by the way - he could have gone the "I'll need to take impressions for a custom one and fork over $200" route. He said he's had a lot of patients grinding their teeth these days. :#

Any recommendations on night guards from you gals?

TIA <3 Have a great evening!

Lanette B)
    Dark and rainy SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    And in other news ...

"Tasmania records its first new coronavirus cases in four months after a woman and two children test positive to coronavirus. They arrived in Hobart on a repatriation flight from Delhi at the weekend."
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-09/tasmania-coronavirus-case-update-wednesday/12964072

Fortunately they are in hotel quarantine and will be/have been transferred to hospital.

M in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Allie: Sending healing energy and angels your way. Think of you daily.

Lisa: Cowboy cookies sounds like the ticket to helping whittle down the overstock of oatmeal I have and put a few pounds on my skinny DH. Thanks for that idea.

Michelle: It has been a year and a half since I fractured my foot and it still gets easily aggravated whenever I do weight bearing exercise. I only wear stiff shoes and/or stiff insoles. It's in such a vulnerable spot, on the outside middle part of my foot (actually part of pinky toe) that the surrounding tissue has been slow to bridge to the broken bone fragments.

Katie
    : Hand surgery is the pits. Hope your recovery is swift and thorough.

Dementia continues to dominate my life.
    DH was finally agreeable to take a shower and wash his hair today. When it came time to step into the tub, he froze. This has never happened before and took me by surprise because he continues to have very good balance and mobility, and this bath set up has sturdy bars set up for extra support. It is possible he is losing depth perception. So, I tried to coax him into the walk in shower in guest bathroom, but by then we were both a bit frustrated. He changed clothes and let me shave him. Crossing 🤞🤞🤞 this was a fluke and tomorrow he will be in a different frame of mind.

I met with elder care attorney this week and with help of an agency I am applying for Medicaid. We are borderline poor enough to qualify as is, but will need to do a spend down to reach the magic numbers required to get home health care benefits. This would be in addition to what we currently receive from the VA. It is going to take a TEAM to see him through this horrible disease with comfort and dignity.

Holidaze? I got the Nativity scene set up, lights on the deck and this silly card sent out to 20 lucky (?) recipients. I think the expression on our faces really tells the story of this year. 🤣🤣🤣

8tz3898jbn1c.png

Stay well friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

Rori,, loved your card! Hugs to all three of you! You are in my thoughts many days sweet friend. <3
    Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Conferred on 09 Dec 2020
    Master of Information Technology and Systems

Although my graduation ceremony isn’t until December 18, my degree is official today. :)

Machka in Oz

You Are A Rock Star! Congrats friend!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-

Walk- 2hrs 54min 15sec, 83ahr, 111mhr, 9.33mi=868c
    Strava app = 1130c
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    It seems that our governor just made a restriction that you can’t be out between 10 pm and 5am. This affects Food Lion a little bit since they are open until 11, but one hour isn’t much. Wonder what’ll happen to Jess’ flight into Charlotte? It’s due to be in around 11. You know something, just to be ornery what I should do is go to the food kitchen and help with the candy making. They’re supposed to be there until 10. Well, by the time I’d be getting home, it would be after 10.

Michele NC
    Who is feeling tired so may lay down for a bit

If they're smart, they'll adjust the hours of operation. :) That's what the shops here have done.

After all, it's important that this situation gets under control and that we all do our parts. <3

M in Oz
  • WThyme
    WThyme Posts: 78 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Thyme – what kind of music does your son play?
    He can play whatever is needed. But his main thing is as a professional Praise Musician guitarist.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Karen - thanks for the update on Josephine.

I am taking a little break while I eat my lunch. Today has been full so far.

On the weekend my Mom’s nursing home posted a picture of her and other residents making Christmas cards. I commented on the post stating I hoped to get one from Mom. I never expected one, as I know that the cost to the nursing home could be prohibitive with the stamps.

This morning I received a message from the home asking for my address, I immediately broke down crying.

My Mom used to give cards for everything and to everyone and I haven’t received a card from her since 2014.

I messaged the home back to let them know how grateful I was and they immediately took the iPad to Mom’s room and let me have a little visit with her. Today she remembered her Great Grandson and was able to fill me in on some accurate news. Today was a great day!

Tracey in Edmonton

That is so great that not only did you get a great response from your post, that you will actually get one but to also talk to her(and her remembering and having a good conversation)- sounds perfect.

Debbie
    Napa Valley
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Trying to catch up reading all the posts- Enjoy reading every one of them- Have the lights on the tree, my cinnamon tea and relaxing and checking in with all of you.
    This weekend is our big candy and sweets making weekend for mom and I. I have taken an extra day off(well, changed my day off with my daycare kid) so will be going up Friday morning and not come home until right before she comes in on Monday morning.
    I have most of my Christmas shopping done- husband informed me that he picked out and ordered what I am giving him for Christmas. I asked him to send me the link, he asked why, he already ordered and paid for it- I told him it would be nice if I knew what I was giving him.
    I am going to stay up a little late and work on some Christmas masks that will go in a few gifts- have some really cute fabric.
    I heard that my former mother in law got her package and the staff at the home where she is at said the tree looked beautiful.
    Dentist yesterday for a crown and then pick up new glasses Thursday- two things I have put off for way too long.
    Spent today getting fruit put in the dehydrator- mango, pineapple and candied ginger are in it now. Need to get these done and another batch of catnip done then finish up the pineapple and mango(mango were not quite ripe to do more today- got a box full- on sale 3 for $1 for nice size ones. The dried fruit will go in the boxes/trays with the fudge/toffee/caramel corn/?? for gifts- Need to make up a big tray for the dentist office. I mentioned making stuff and they all want it.

Still walking an hour with a friend at least 3-4 nights a week, still tracking my food and always under (even when I try to eat the full amount- just can't seem to do it, been on this 1000 cal a day for too long I guess) and I am GAINING !! I am getting so discouraged- It was one thing to be doing these things and not loosing like I did for like 6 months but to gain the past few months is hard to handle. Up 6lbs. I am now back up to 20 lbs to loose to meet my goal.
    Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    I’ve had such an emotional day. Tomorrow is the 8th anniversary of my Dad’s death so I’m always a little teary at this time of year anyway.

Today I got the call from Mom and that just tugged at my heartstrings, I’m so happy and grateful that she is in NB where Covid is being well managed, but I miss her.

It was another tough day at work with all the Covid stuff. In the course of all of this one of my coworkers has been gathering radioes for residents that don’t have anything. In figuring out which residents needed a radio I found out one of our residents could use a new tv so I posted on FB asking if any of my local friends had an old tv gathering dust. I just received a private message from an old boss, he is going to buy a tv tomorrow and he’ll meet me so I can give it to the resident that needs it.

My heart is full.
    Tracey

Tracey- I spent over an hour chatting with an old classmate of mine- he lives up there in Edmonton too. Haven't seen him since high school- found out last night that he actually liked me back then but never said anything. I had a little crush on him but never said anything either. I did invite him to go with our youth group at church for a youth rally and he did go but didn't sit by me or talk to me or anything. He said he loves it up there. He moved up right after high school. I think that is where he was born but not sure.
    Debbie