What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Coffee tastes of headaches
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    on the topic of cookies... what's everyone's favorite holiday/christmas cookie?

I think I'm smelling a new post devoted just to this one topic!

However, I'm not sure I can answer this...I love too many holiday cookies equally in their own unique way 🤷‍♀️
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I'm not mostly a fan of the majority of traditional Christmas cookies (the frosted sugar cookies and such). They look nice, but tend to be Just Sweet, not that interesting. An old family friend used to make a kind of frosted sugar cookie with date filling, which was better.

If I were making, I'd be making some normal cookie I like, such as real shortbread, macaroons, or the vaguely cookie-esque biscotti. I like making macaroons, because for some reason people seem to think they're fancy, but they're one of the easiest things to make; and I have a recipe that (maybe blurring the macaroon/macaron border a bit) includes marzipan (I love marzipan).

I do like Springerle, though, which is sometimes considered Christmas-y. Because they're anise-flavored, that's possibly an unpopular opinon.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Unpopular: brownies are too just plain chocolately without nuts, so nuts improve them (although good brownies are good with or without nuts). Fudge is terrible and nuts cannot save it. Banana bread is good with or without nuts, I don't really care.

I'd rather have chocolate , peanut butter or toffee chips than nuts, except macadamia Ilove fudge, expecially maple! I do not like banana nut bread- or banana muffins, anything banana except bananas themslves

Zucchini bread > banana nut bread

Toffee and butterscotch blondies > regular brownies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is unpopular, but I love macarons. I used to live next to a French-style bakery, and it was way too tempting to go there on the weekend and buy some (they'd have different flavors each time).

I like zucchini bread a lot, but pretty much the same amount as banana bread.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I'm not mostly a fan of the majority of traditional Christmas cookies (the frosted sugar cookies and such). They look nice, but tend to be Just Sweet, not that interesting. An old family friend used to make a kind of frosted sugar cookie with date filling, which was better.

If I were making, I'd be making some normal cookie I like, such as real shortbread, macaroons, or the vaguely cookie-esque biscotti. I like making macaroons, because for some reason people seem to think they're fancy, but they're one of the easiest things to make; and I have a recipe that (maybe blurring the macaroon/macaron border a bit) includes marzipan (I love marzipan).

I do like Springerle, though, which is sometimes considered Christmas-y. Because they're anise-flavored, that's possibly an unpopular opinon.

I use to make an oatmeal short bread cookie shaped like trees with green sour-cream frosting with dots of regular frosting for Christmas lights. they were not as sweet.

I love macaroons
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    "Gourmet" grilled cheese sandwiches are overrated. Gimme a american cheese slice grilled cheese with ketchup any day
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    "Gourmet" grilled cheese sandwiches are overrated. Gimme a american cheese slice grilled cheese with ketchup any day

That's an interesting one: I've had grilled cheese with tomato; have never even thought of using ketchup. Wouldn't the sweetness clash with the cheese a little? Maybe?
  • gaild1942
    gaild1942 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Something about “smoothies” disgusts me. Totally irrational because I’ve never had one, but yuck! I think it is because they contain stuff that doesn’t go together, in my mind.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ALL the cookies, except macarons. Just can’t.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I hate macaroons, but love macarons.
    That one "o" makes a HUGE difference.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options

I love macaroons (though almond more than coconut, but *good* coconut ones are awesome). Maybe I just haven't had a good macaron yet (decent odds, so I'll keep trying), but the ones I've had so far have been pretty meh.

Until I see the light, we could buddy up, and divide with macaroons to me, macarons to you, maybe?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I love macaroons (though almond more than coconut, but *good* coconut ones are awesome). Maybe I just haven't had a good macaron yet (decent odds, so I'll keep trying), but the ones I've had so far have been pretty meh.

Until I see the light, we could buddy up, and divide with macaroons to me, macarons to you, maybe?

That’s a deal! I’m just not a coconut fan.
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    I've had some macaroons that are way way too sweet - ick. Other (less sickly sweet) are ok - I could pass though.
    Really quite like macarons - yum
  • pancakerunner
    Options

I'm the opposite.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

I think macaroons are eh, and also love macarons.
  • PAPYRUS3
    Options
    Thinks homemade/thick eggnog is very nasty....Although appreciates the flavor of a thin/cartoned version from the store
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Thinks homemade/thick eggnog is very nasty....Although appreciates the flavor of a thin/cartoned version from the store

I have nbever actually had homemade eggnog haha
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I don't like gourmet grilled cheese (correction, I'm sure I'd like them fine, but when they are on offer there's always something more interesting I want to order), but think the best cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches made at home is obviously swiss cheese.

I hate peppermint bark.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't like gourmet grilled cheese (correction, I'm sure I'd like them fine, but when they are on offer there's always something more interesting I want to order), but think the best cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches made at home is obviously swiss cheese.

I hate peppermint bark.

I do love swiss cheese......