December 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Huge hugs, @quilteryoyo thinking of you and your mother and hoping you can both find some peace. Have you recovered ok?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins Oh no, hope you all turn out to be okay! How frustrating and annoying for you when you’ve been so careful.

@quilteryoyo What a beautiful obituary! I liked the way everyone important to him was listed, family, extended family, dear friends, pets.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui So I hear y’all are having earthquakes and eruptions - I forget exactly where in Hawaii you are, is this close to you, everything okay?
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    @HonuNui So I hear y’all are having earthquakes and eruptions - I forget exactly where in Hawaii you are, is this close to you, everything okay?

Kilauea (currently erupting) is on the south end of Big Island, 50 miles as the crow flies from our house, and ash and flow go in the opposite direction from where we are (north end of island)....but there have been rumblings on Mauna Loa also (which last erupted in the early 1980's), which is more centrally located, and which triggered a 4.2 last week and rattled us pretty good.

Guy walks into a bar in New Orleans and says “give me a Corona and two hurricanes.” Bartender says “that’ll be 2020”.....just add an erupting volcano to the mix....

What a few volcanoes thrown into the mix of 2020. Glad, though it's close, it's not affecting you. Stay safe.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    December Goal – 120 miles
    12/1 – 1.05 miles
    12/2 – 6.41 miles
    12/3 – 3.3 miles
    12/4 – 5.02 miles
    12/5 – 1.72 miles (travel day)
    12/6 – 6.09 miles (2 mile walk on beach)
    12/7 – 5.50 miles (4 mile walk on beach)
    12/8 – 6.21 miles Jingle all the 10K Way (virtual)
    12/9 – 3.51 miles (18.44 mile bike ride; 1.78 mile walk on beach)
    12/10 – 13.24 miles
    12/11 – 5.14 miles (2.27 mile beach walk)
    12/12 – 1.14 miles (travel day)
    12/13 – 1.26 miles
    12/14 – 4 miles
    12/15 – 5.02 miles
    12/16 – 4.27 miles
    12/17 – 5.67 miles (Christmas Lights Run) + 5K walk
    12/18 – 2.02 miles (trail)
    12/19 – 5.04 (Pioneer 5 Mile Race)
    12/20 – 5.01 miles
    12/21 – 4.01 miles
    Total – 94.63 miles

Yesterday’s 12 Day of Christmas assignment was to run 5 miles with the first 2 being at conversational pace, the third mile a little speedier, and the last 2 back at conversational pace. I met three friends to run in a neighborhood with beautiful Christmas decorations. The neighborhood route ended up being very hilly. We tried to speed up on mile 3 but I think mile 5 ended up being our fastest just because of the terrain. The lights though did not disappoint. They were beautiful.

As @mbaker566 (hope your hip is feeling better) mentioned, today’s 12 Days of Christmas challenge was to complete your run (any distance) before checking email or social media. Since I usually run first thing in the mornings, I wasn’t too tempted. Just got out the door around 7:00 am and ran 4 miles.

@camaramandy – Sorry about your fall and I hope you are mended quickly.
    @Faebert – I thought about you today when I read about London’s lockdown in the news this morning. I just don't understand all the resistance to following rules that save people's lives!
    @eleanorhawkins – I hope your family’s test results are all negative. Sorry you have to go through the testing. How did your daughter handle it?
    Congratulations on your PR @rheddmobile!
    More hugs going out to you and your mom @quilteryoyo!
    To everyone - keep on keeping on!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thoughts, hugs, etc. I'm reaching breaking point here and can't run it off. My daughter's test was arranged through the school system, she went yesterday and it was one of the quick ones. Negative result, 15 minutes later. She was in a state and it was uncomfortable but she survived. She is allowed out of isolation tomorrow as long as no symptoms show up, but today is the last day of term so she's happy she doesn't have to face the world until the 7th of January now.
    Meanwhile, my husband and I have to go to a drive-through testing place this afternoon. Different system, possibly different test. They get sent to the hospital, then the results are sent to our GPs who will phone us with them. On the 28th!!!! And we're not allowed to set foot outside the apartment until we have a negative test result. So that will be 10 days locked up indoors, all because my MIL is stubborn and careless. I am so angry. I'm getting chest pains from the anxiety and frustration of it all. Spent most of last night trying to work out how to feed us all for 10 days with what I have in the cupboards or send a reluctant, panic-stricken kid to the supermarket.
    Meanwhile my dad 1,500 miles away, after having a malignant brain tumour removed and 2 weeks into a 6 week cycle of radiotherapy with chemo planned after that, phoned me the other day to ask me if I thought he might have cancer because he just noticed he's being treated at an oncology hospital. WTF? I don't know if nobody bothered telling him, it went over his head, he didn't understand or he's just been in denial.
    Oh yeah, and it's Christmas this week. Happy Christmas everyone!

Oh you poor thing. How awful for you. Sending love, positive vibes and sunshine. I wish I could actually do something practical for you.