• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    e6gvcunrlids.png
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,501 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: goodies to firehall, Post Office, recycling, car to shop.
    Bonus: Listened to what Joe wasn’t saying and went with him to pick up a tiny Christmas tree, Leslie Sansome 15 mins.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, call R, thank you note to T, corrected roster to Cal-Or, index mutual aid files, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, Monday call State Fire Marshall’s office re: reporting, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Monday: recycling.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments, ask faucet question, if answer ok order.
    Do Good December
    22: Congratulate someone for an achievement that may go unnoticed: .

Power outage this evening, fortunately just after my movie (Chronicles of Narnia/The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) ended. Had barely enough battery left on my cell to report the outage. Note to self, if you’re sitting on your butt CHARGE that phone!

SuziQ ((hugs)) and thanks for the reminder to reach out to my buddies that are alone.
    Margaret :love: your mom’s recipe for a good long life, and interesting info about the gut microbes. Thanks!
    Flea congrats on the fudge!
    KJ I think of you and your T every time I squeeze out the sponge Joe left soaking in the sink. :laugh:
    Karen happy to see you posting!
    Allie Brava for deciding (every time) to do your PT.
    Sharon ((hugs))
    Katla :love: the tree. Is that snow outside your window? Our boughten tree is in a bucket of water overnight, will put it up tomorrow.
    Heather β€œβ€¦ a light up whirring thing”???
    Carol I’ve also used jarred mincemeat to make pies but as I’m the only one who likes it I don’t make it every year. My old Boston School Cookbook has a recipe that contains suet… guess back in the day it was a minced meat pie that morphed into the sweet spicy pastry we know today?
    Beth so glad to see you post, welcome back!
    Pip :love: the pic of Yogi cuddling up to you.
    Debbie what you said about shipping costs. Caused me to cut out sending anything far away and only send two packages to folk in the West.
    Machka β€œβ€¦Nature abhorred a vacuum” :laugh: Joe, the dogs, and I do too!

Was too foggy/cloudy/rainy this evening to see the Christmas Star/Great Conjunction. Hoping for a clear sunset tomorrow. Thanks for the pick Karen!

Carless for the next two days at least. Not as much of an issue as it would have been last year. Silver linings.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 18, weigh: 21, steps>5505=5708 vits=21 log=21 CI<CO=20 CI<250<CO=14Tumble & Shadow 5=16 mfp=21 outside=11 up hill=11
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx=3 dance= clean 30 mins=3.5
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 20for20=0 bonus: AF=13 play=0 sew=0
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    hello,
    I tried fasting till 10 am. I'm not crazy about fasting but trying to shake it up. I read that for women 14-15 hour fasts can be a good choice. Friend coming by at 6 for a drink and legal curfew at 8pm now, so I can plan to have no more to eat after 8pm. I'll try the 14h-10 intermittant fasting. I don't actually mind not eating in the eyening much, but socially that can be an issue sometimes.

Weighed and measured breakfast. Yet to track it.

Went out early to put tons of Ikea, etc boxes outside on sidewalk for trash. They filled up the 4-person elevator!
    Then emptied bottles in glass place (2 trips) and went for an expresso at the bakery and for a walk.
    Then started tidying in prep for friend coming. Minimal tidying of kitchen which is not too bad, and then entrance, much nicer with the shoe holding cupboard, and hung up some paintings there on screws that were already up.

Just remaining: tidy and/or hide clutter in living area, bedroom area and bathroom! AND see if I can assemble the trundle bed or at least make good headway on it.

Friend coming by at 6 so some semblance of tidiness is a mush.

Oh, and maybe I need to pick up some nibbles.

I needlttitle rests thought in the day.
    Maybe 45 min physically working vs 15 minute breaks. or something like that...
    At
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @auntiebk Barbara, power outage is a pain. I hope you got your electricity back.

@Machka9 I love the Larson comics!

@Machka9 sit down and relax? if watching a movie counts, yes. if doing nothing is required, a much less, but still some.

There is definitely a temptation to be drawn to the screens...
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited December 2020
    Options
    hello,
    I tried fasting till 10 am. I'm not crazy about fasting but trying to shake it up. I read that for women 14-15 hour fasts can be a good choice. Friend coming by at 6 for a drink and legal curfew at 8pm now, so I can plan to have no more to eat after 8pm. I'll try the 14h-10 intermittant fasting. I don't actually mind not eating in the eyening much, but socially that can be an issue sometimes.

I used to stop eating about midnight but in the last several months I've stopped at about 9 pm.
    I don't eat until 11:30 am at the earliest. Today it was noon.

@Machka9 sit down and relax? if watching a movie counts, yes. if doing nothing is required, a much less, but still some.

There is definitely a temptation to be drawn to the screens...

I don't think I've just sat and watched a movie since I was in my very early 20s. Movies don't keep my attention that well, I start to get bored, and the next thing I know I'm doing laundry or dusting or reading a book or taking photos of Rhody or something.

But I did think of another time I sit down and relax ... on the bus on the way home. Like today! The bus had barely made it to the big hill between the city and where I live when I fell asleep. Next thing I knew I was in the suburb/town where I live. It does make me wonder if I snore when I do that.

Anyway, back to work ... I've got some work-related stuff to do this evening.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    8xdr5arxjup4.png

That's the plan!

Machka in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ho, ho, ho, and a bottle of rum!

Work was crazy busy yesterday which was primarily due to my PW not properly working when I logged in yesterday morning. After two very frustrating hours on and off with the help desk I finally got to a very good tech who lead me through the 30-second process of how to clear the issue. She sent me instructions for future use. This issue happens almost every time we have to change our PW (every 60 days). I have never in my life worked for a company with so many IT issues.

Heather – I love all consistencies of fudge. I think I would enjoy the crumbly texture. I love chocolate covered cherries. I have never seen them with both stone and stalk. I must seek out. 😊 Very happy Johnny was able to touch base with his other daughter and got to see her home.

Katla – Your tree is beautiful. I love it in front of the window. What a gorgeous view!

Barbara – It seems everyone is cooking this year and prime rib is the choice of many households. I dry age my own when I decide it will be on the menu. It takes a little preplanning since the roast is dry aged for 10 days. It makes a big difference in the both taste and tenderness. Technique is located within the Food Network site. It is a Guy Fieri recipe.

Machka – Most of my family has passed. The few of us left are spread across the US. Here is a brief example of why I do not stay in touch. About three weeks ago my last aunt passed. My cousin Nikki Lynn let me know via messenger. We had been out of touch for 40 years or so and would FB and message each other from time to time. Nikki Lynn was going through her mom’s pictures and found a few of my mom and dad. The picture of my mom was from the 60s and I had to post on FB because she was simply incredible. My cousin Greg commented and then proceeded to exclaim what a B my cousin is, how his mom passed in a nursing home, etc. To say I was taken aback is an understatement. In a public forum no less. There are many more stories of this nature. Basically, we are all a very co-dependent hot mess when we are all together. It is the biggest reason why I moved to FL in my early 20s. I had to move away in order to become a whole person.

Here is mom. She was hot, hot, hot. I am the little dweeb sitting next to her in the white tights. The little one next to me is Greg and on the far left is my Aunt Pat (she is the one that recently died). The only way I find time to relax and settle my mind is if I make time for it. I find most times the things on the list can wait.

v2dgnhlqssl4.png

KJ – Glad to hear you are almost back to normal. You must be extremely excited for your break.

Karen – Thank you for the testing share. I would be more than happy to self-test to keep the community safer and stop the spread.

Pip – Wish you well on the apartment search. It seems you have found the right local – now just need the right place.

SHARON – So glad to hear from you. I am sorry you are dealing with a bout of depression. It sounds like you are moving in a forward motion. I am so happy you found someone to share your time with – kisses on the cheek – love it!! Your story gives all of us single gals hope.

Debbie – I know sometimes it is me because I get so frustrated people do not reach out after I reach out to them I just stop. Then I think I am the one isolating myself. My money situation, which has gotten better, does not help because everyone wants to meet somewhere. It is very difficult to get someone just to meet at the beach and take a walk or something a little more frugal, like a cup of coffee. Yesterday I had a very nice conversation with one of our reps. He and his wife moved to Park City 7 years ago and they did not know a single person. They got involved with a few community things (difficult right now – will not be in the future) and built up a great circle. It gives me some hope. Gleaning season starts up in mid-January and I will be volunteering again. I am sure the sunshine and being outside helping others will lift me up. I just need to get through the next few weeks.

Pip – Yogi is almost bigger than you! He is such a sweet boy.

Lanette – I remember the article/dissertation you posted regarding fat-mouse cells. It makes perfect sense and shows we cannot run away from our genetics. I do want to get genetic testing done, but am leery of my genetic makeup being out in the world.

Bananas – I wish I could say it was due to online socialization and our current state of affairs. My situation has been going on well before covid. I hate when I feel dispirited. There are quite a few people who know my situation and will tell me of their holiday dinners, etc. Do I get an invite even when I say I have no plans? No. Then, those same people invite me to lunch, go out of their way for me, etc.. I need to get over myself and get back to the little projects I have going. So excited for you and the changes you are making to your living space. Hey, even if your bed is not put together maybe you can make it a team project during your visit. 😊

Ginny – BRAVO!! House is officially paid off!!!!

Barbara – I hope the electricity is back on.

Oh no the pesky clock is telling me it is time to start getting ready for work. The virtual cocktail mixer is this evening at 5:30. I am sure it will be interesting and fun. It will be interesting to see how to use tea bags in mixed drinks! 😊

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Machka9
    Options
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    The Science before Politics got involved
    Laboratory Studies

N95 filtering facepiece respirators (FFRs) are constructed from electret (a dielectric material that has a quasi-permanent electric charge.) An electret generates internal and external electric fields so the filter material has electrostatic attraction for additional collection of all particle sizes. As flow increases, particles will be collected less efficiently.
    A properly fitted N95 will block 95% of tiny air particles down to
    0.3 ΞΌm from reaching the wearer’s face.
    https://www.honeywell.com/en-us/newsroom/news/2020/03/n95-masks-explained.
    Problem: no source control. An N95 does not filter exhaled air passing through the exhaust/exhalation valve (for easier breathing and less moisture inside the mask).
    Study measuring filter efficiency (2010)
    https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744; https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2020/04/commentary-masks-all-covid-19-not-based-sound-data; https://academic.oup.com/annweh/article/54/7/789/202744
    Filter efficiency was measured across a wide range of small particle sizes (0.02 to 1 Β΅m) at 33 and 99 L/min.
    All the cloth masks and materials had near zero efficiency at 0.3 Β΅m, a particle size that easily penetrates into the lung (SARS-CoV-2 is 0.125 Β΅m)
    Efficiency for the entire range of particles
    T-shirts β€” 10%
    Scarves β€” 10% to 20%
    Cloth masks β€” 10% to 30%
    Sweatshirts β€” 20% to 40%
    Towels β€” 40%
    Study measuring filter efficiency (2014, Korea)
    https://aaqr.org/articles/aaqr-13-06-oa-0201
    Evaluated 44 masks, respirators, and other materials with similar methods and small aerosols (0.08 and 0.22 Β΅m)
    N95 FFR filter β€” >95% efficiency
    Medical masks β€” 55% efficiency
    General (cloth) masks β€” 38% efficiency
    Handkerchiefs β€” 2% (one layer) to 13% (four layers) efficiency.
    Conclusion: Wearing masks (other than N95) will not be effective at preventing SARS-CoV-2 transmission, whether worn as source control or as PPE.
    N95s protect health care workers, but are not recommended for source control transmission.
    Surgical masks are better than cloth but not very efficient at preventing emissions from infected patients. Cloth masks must be 3 layers, plus adding static electricity by rubbing with rubber glove.
    The cloth that serves as the filtration for the mask is meant to trap particles being breathed in and out. But it also serves as a barrier to air movement because it forces the air to take the path of least resistance, resulting in the aerosols going in and out at the sides of the mask.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,063 Member
    Options

Fae
    I made a mask early on that is a tube mask it is made of a stretchy material. I like that it covers everything and no side air pocket. It even can be worn so it covers my hair. I know it is better than a regular cloth mask because when I blow and put my hand up by my mouth I do not feel any air. I do have a thinner fabric version and you can feel air. A friend who is a nurse told me about this test to see how effective your mask works.

I agree because many of the masks no not fit right and material is questionable how well it work, side issues and noses hanging out I really try to stay or more feet from strangers. When I am out walking Drew I usually do not wear a mask because I want the fresh air. If someone is coming our way I give space. If it is a biker, runner, or a pair talking I turn my back til they pass and count to twenty before I turn around.

Besides my mask I always wear gloves when I am in a store or pumping gas I also use a plastic bag to pump the gas that I throw away at the station. When I get back in the car I have an essential oil spray I use to spray my mask and gloves down before I get home.
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    VENUS

0635 PST in the eastern sky of North Central, Oregon
    Canon T3i with 200x lens and photo program cropped

haa609u5akna.jpg

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Phew, busy day. :D
    Had a good morning's writing even though I was desperate to get out there and nab the last lettuce before they all disappeared! (Ports to France blocked, panic buying of perishables)
    I had a hair appointment, so I decided to do my shopping then. The hair place had sent me a long covid form to fill in , plus it's like they are doing heart surgery in there. Temp check, wash hands, masks, visors etc. I wore two masks at once and just had a cut, no shampoo or blow dry.
    Then I found the very last lettuce in Hove, plus arugula, brussels sprouts, cabbage and green beans. DH has just come back with pak-choi. Need onions. Need extra milk. Found some bread and bagels.
    Having salmon and zucchini/tomato tonight.
    With my spoils I crossed over to the flower shop to buy a small arrangement. I love the guys in there. They said they weren't expecting any more deliveries because of the blockade. The queue outside the butcher's was huge, but we don't need meat.
    Happy now I've got most things I need. Can't decide whether to make a loaf or try to buy one tomorrow.
    My son is coming round later to drop off the last of the kids' bits for me to wrap..I will have to check if the family wants to come over on Thursday to open presents in the garden. :o
    Otherwise we will drop everything off at theirs and see them on the beach Christmas morning.

Feeling much less stressed now.

The whole country shuts down for several days over Christmas, with no transport, even in normal times. It's a four day weekend this year with an extra bank holiday on Monday because Boxing Day falls on a Saturday. Plus we might have a country wide lockdown after Christmas.

Love to all and smile through the heart! <3 Ring someone lonely. Be nice. o:)

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Just imagine being the poor devils stuck in this. Happy Holidays! :o
    v2vk9chad1w9.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    Oh how adorable Heather...just got back from bloodwork and picking up meds..