January 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2020
    Hello I'm new, but I wanted to say my goal for this up coming month is to run 62 miles, running two a day for 31 days. side-bar I was wondering if anyone has any tips for running out-doors when its cold, as will as running tips for someone with asthma? or any breathing tips that have helped you in the past?

My husband has exercise-induced asthma which is worse in the cold. What helps him is using an albuterol inhaler before running, and if it’s below freezing running with a buff over his face to warm up the air. Also running really hard is harder on his lungs, so long and slow when it’s acting up.

General advice for running when it’s cold - wear the right clothes! If you get hot when running, wear layers. Whereabouts are you and how cold does it get there?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Thanks @martaindale for setting us up
    7: Take the plunge and spend stupid amounts of money on a decent running bra

someone suggested this brand on fb and i have 2. they fit like brooks juno. and i find it a bit more comfortable.
    i have this one and it has minimal bounce. about the same as my juno
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    Oh my! This is going to be so much fun. Thank you @martaindale for posting the link here.

I have been following along in Dec and I already know many of you. I am still trying to decide on my goals for the year but I think I have a secret one of being able to run a HM by my 63rd Birthday mid August with an avg pace under 10 minute miles and at least one mile under 9. The furthest I have gone this year is 10.25 miles in Dec at a 9:57 pace. And 10 in Aug at an 11:51 pace so I know that I have made significant progress this year even with an injury which took me way down for almost 6-8 weeks.

I really like the way @eleanorhawkins lists her goals for the year out. So I am going to copy cat a little >:)

What is RED January for this newbe?

1) Stay injury free (this one has to top the list as it takes just TOO long to recover)
    2) Stay off the Calorie rollercoaster and eat to TDEE consistently (not too low and not too high) maintaining weight
    3) Try to have at least 1 run with an 8:xx mile in it once a week
    4) Try to have at least 40% of my miles with an 9:xx mile pace on them
    5) Keep track of the mileage on my shoes
    6) RTY 2021 in miles running and walking and team bONmOT
    7) Run a long run each month as follows J 10 F 10.5 M 11 A 11.5 M 12 J 12.5 Jul 13 Aug HM

My Jan Mileage goal is going to be 165 which is an increase from last years 155.
    Doable as long as the weather cooperates and #1 above.

Summer in AustinTx

Red January is an initiative to get people more active in January. Originally it was Run Every Day but more recently it's become more inclusive so it's doing something active (running, walking, swimming, yoga etc) every day.

https://redtogether.co.uk
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    edited December 2020
    Thanks @martaindale for setting us up to start the year!!
    I am in for 100 but may have to reduce that depending on the outcome of tests/evaluation for my hamstring...

Still working through my 2021 goals so will be posting that later. An add on similar question is:
    At the end of 2021 where do you want to be, what improvements or changes do you want to have made?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    @shanaber good question!

"At the end of 2021 where do you want to be, what improvements or changes do you want to have made?"

For me the biggest thing is finally lose the last of the extra weight. As far as running goes, I'm happy having a year without any improvement. Though if I get to October and run a marathon, I will have improved my injury prevention from this year!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,051 Member
    Hello I'm new, but I wanted to say my goal for this up coming month is to run 62 miles, running two a day for 31 days. side-bar I was wondering if anyone has any tips for running out-doors when its cold, as will as running tips for someone with asthma? or any breathing tips that have helped you in the past?

My husband has exercise-induced asthma which is worse in the cold. What helps him is using an albuterol inhaler before running, and if it’s below freezing running with a buff over his face to warm up the air. Also running really hard is harder on his lungs, so long and slow when it’s acting up.

General advice for running when it’s cold - wear the right clothes! If you get hot when running, wear layers. Whereabouts are you and how cold does it get there?

Dressing for the cold is always a bit tricky. A general rule of thumb I have been told is to dress as if it is 10 degrees (F) warmer than it really is. Most of the time that works for me. Like @rheddmobile said, layers are key. Especially if you haven't done cold weather running before and aren't sure what you will need. For me, something to cover my ears and gloves make a huge difference. I will tolerate being cold for a mile or so just to not have to strip several layers. When I do shorter distances, like the 2 miles you are planning, I dress warmer. Leggings and a long sleeve wool shirt, probably with a tank or t-shirt layered. It takes a mile or 2 to really get warm when it's cold outside.
    Where are you from? My cold may be a balmy spring day for you! The coldest I usually have to contend with is 30's. Some runners here deal with MUCH colder on a regular basis.
  • martaindale
    Avidkeo wrote: »

So no Km goal for me. I'm not l giving myself that kind of pressure. That's a 2022 goal.

I like that one! We could all use a little less pressure!
  • martaindale
    I'll come back later to post a couple of goals for 2021. The will probably be really uninspiring.

I disagree. Recovering from major surgery and returning to running is definitely inspiring!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    edited December 2020
    For the Run the World challenge I have the following places to map. If you want another included please let me know today or tomorrow.

Arkansas, Virginia, Texas, Poland, East Tennessee, Portugal, Ohio, New Plymouth NZ, Anaheim CA, London UK, Detroit, Auckland and Hawaii.

I can't see who has joined and so set up spaces for up to 30 people so we have room for more than those that expressed an interest in October so anyone can join @shorkster @thisvickyruns and others

@noblsheep @durhammfp @Camaramandy648 @Teresa502 @kgirlhart @T1DCarnivoreRunner @WandaVaughn @polskagirl01 @marisap2010 @quilteryoyo @hamsterwheel6 @eleanorhawkins @hanlonsk @katharmonic @Tramboman @RunsOnEspresso @AlphaHowls @skippygirlsmom @Avidkeo @martaindale @rheddmobile @shanaber @Faebert @kristinajeang @ContraryMaryMary @Scott6255 @annshandle @HonuNui
    You are invited to join the Run the World 2021 challenge. The code to join is MFPRunners2021

Run the World 2021
    Jan 1, 2021 12:00 AM - Dec 31, 2021 11:59 PM
    Team Challenge
    Run, Virtual Run 24,901 Miles in 365 days

== INSTRUCTIONS TO JOIN ==

1. Visit https://www.challengehound.com/join/87084200-0550-11eb-9a36-31595d1e7f7e?code=MFPRunners2021

2. Click the green "Sign In to Join Challenge" button

3. Sign in to an existing Challenge Hound account, or sign up if you are new to Challenge Hound. You can sign up using your email address or Facebook

4. Now that you are signed in, click the green "Join Challenge" button and confirm you are joining.

5. That's it! You've joined the challenge. You'll receive an email confirmation with the challenge details.
    == HOW TO LOG ACTIVITIES ==

1. You can log activities into Challenge Hound https://www.challengehound.com/activity/new/edit

2. You can connect an App listed on the Apps page and activities will be automatically synced to Challenge Hound. Challenge Hound currently supports Under Armour (Map My Run, Map My Walk, Map My Hike, Map My Ride, etc) and Strava. https://www.challengehound.com/apps

If you connect an app, Challenge Hound will automatically sync applicable activities, so there is no need to manually enter. Whether you manually enter or use an App, you'll receive an email notification with your challenge status after each activity you log. You can visit Challenge Hound to view your personal challenge dashboard, as well as full challenge leader boards and charts.

== ADDITIONAL SUPPORT ==

Support, FAQs, and How-tos can be found here: https://support.challengehound.com

What is Challenge Hound? Challenge Hound is a platform used to create and track group challenges. Read more at https://www.challengehound.com

Cheers!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited December 2020
    Regarding GOALS :)
    My ongoing monthly running distance goal is 100 miles (base goal) or 200 km (stretch goal).

2020 Results:
    Ran 2151 km (Average = 179 km/mo)✅
    Cycled 1056 km (HUGE improvement)✅
    Swam 14,000 m (pool closure didn't help but I had no specific goal)✅

Other 2020 Goals:
    1) Local "half marathon crown" challenge - canceled, but I did all 3 of the races that did happen - 3 weekends IN A ROW in September. Points for doing everything I possibly could. ☑

2) Some type of speedwork 1x/week (track, hills, intervals, race, etc)✅

3) At least 1 HM or longer run per month - since December 2018 (25 months)✅
    zmkegn76r71e.jpg
    I cropped out the map and the rest of the activity totals, but the other colors are activities other than running and cycling.

2021 Goals:
    1) Stay healthy as far as it depends on me!
    2) Enjoy running!
    3) Keep the speed & HM streaks going (CONSISTENCY!)
    3) Run 40 km/week, for 40 weeks during my 40th year of life
    4) IF there are IRL races, consider doing a marathon or any distance triathlon.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member
    @TheMrWobbly I signed up, and I don't see Spain on the map yet ;-)
  • martaindale
    @TheMrWobbly I signed up!
    For app users, the link only worked correctly if I did it through the full website. In the app it takes you to the site but I got caught in a weird loop and could not get to the actual sign up. Just FYI.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    For the Run the World challenge I have the following places to map. If you want another included please let me know today or tomorrow.

Arkansas, Virginia, Texas, Poland, East Tennessee, Portugal, Ohio, New Plymouth NZ, Anaheim CA, London UK, Detroit, Auckland and Hawaii.

I can't see who has joined and so set up spaces for up to 30 people so we have room for more than those that expressed an interest in October so anyone can join @shorkster @thisvickyruns and others

@noblsheep @durhammfp @Camaramandy648 @Teresa502 @kgirlhart @T1DCarnivoreRunner @WandaVaughn @polskagirl01 @marisap2010 @quilteryoyo @hamsterwheel6 @eleanorhawkins @hanlonsk @katharmonic @Tramboman @RunsOnEspresso @AlphaHowls @skippygirlsmom @Avidkeo @martaindale @rheddmobile @shanaber @Faebert @kristinajeang @ContraryMaryMary @Scott6255 @annshandle @HonuNui
    You are invited to join the Run the World 2021 challenge. The code to join is MFPRunners2021

Run the World 2021
    Jan 1, 2021 12:00 AM - Dec 31, 2021 11:59 PM
    Team Challenge
    Run, Virtual Run 24,901 Miles in 365 days

== INSTRUCTIONS TO JOIN ==

1. Visit https://www.challengehound.com/join/87084200-0550-11eb-9a36-31595d1e7f7e?code=MFPRunners2021

2. Click the green "Sign In to Join Challenge" button

3. Sign in to an existing Challenge Hound account, or sign up if you are new to Challenge Hound. You can sign up using your email address or Facebook

4. Now that you are signed in, click the green "Join Challenge" button and confirm you are joining.

5. That's it! You've joined the challenge. You'll receive an email confirmation with the challenge details.
    == HOW TO LOG ACTIVITIES ==

1. You can log activities into Challenge Hound https://www.challengehound.com/activity/new/edit

2. You can connect an App listed on the Apps page and activities will be automatically synced to Challenge Hound. Challenge Hound currently supports Under Armour (Map My Run, Map My Walk, Map My Hike, Map My Ride, etc) and Strava. https://www.challengehound.com/apps

If you connect an app, Challenge Hound will automatically sync applicable activities, so there is no need to manually enter. Whether you manually enter or use an App, you'll receive an email notification with your challenge status after each activity you log. You can visit Challenge Hound to view your personal challenge dashboard, as well as full challenge leader boards and charts.

== ADDITIONAL SUPPORT ==

Support, FAQs, and How-tos can be found here: https://support.challengehound.com

What is Challenge Hound? Challenge Hound is a platform used to create and track group challenges. Read more at https://www.challengehound.com

Cheers!
    If we can pass through Memphis on the way from East Tennessee to Arkansas that would be great!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    @TheMrWobbly
    I have signed up and am on the Hamakua coast of Big Island of Hawaii
  • libbyralls
    libbyralls Posts: 23 Member
    Hello all! I am a newbie to this challenge, but am looking forward to it! I haven’t been running much lately and don’t have time to run every day, so my goal for the month is to run 15 miles