Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Two articles about researchers finding a negative correlation between fitness and severity of Covid infection:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/henry-ford-study-finds-better-aerobic-fitness-can-reduce-severe-effects-of-covid-19
    https://news.virginia.edu/content/exercise-may-protect-against-deadly-covid-19-complication-research-suggests

Should I start posting these on the "Need Motivation" threads? (<== Joking. But anyone who's recently been following the "glamorizing obesity" thread in Debate will know why that idea occurred to me).

ETA, truth in advertising: I haven't sought out the actual scientific publications yet, to the extent they may be available. I just ran across the topic in a radio report, looked up the articles starting from there, thought others here might be interested even though this is just the popular-press view.

Nice articles but to be honest, probably not a whole lot of news IMO. I'm pretty sure all factors being equal someone in good aerobic condition will fare better then a person that isn't in regard to complications from any disease/illness.

As would I: Should be the case that any positive health dimension helps a person survive many types of physical challenge. Still, I appreciate it when there's research that justifies common sense . . . because, from time to time, there's been some that turned "common sense" into "discredited myths". I thought the details about EcSOD/ARDS in the second article were interesting, too. 🤷‍♀️
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Southern CA here as well. We are under a regional stay at home order, but the only changes I've noticed are all dining being take out only, personal services such as barbers being closed, and gyms only operating outdoor operations. There is still plenty of traffic and people going out for "essential" trips. There are further restrictions regarding capacity for shops and such, but I don't really see that being followed and the mall traffic was still plenty heavy during the holidays. When I went to Home Depot to get some materials for home projects around the holidays it was uncomfortably busy, the line for In-and-Out was causing traffic back-ups and there were a ton of people at the shops in the shopping center.

From the CA website:
    Retail: Allow indoor operation at 20% capacity, and 35% of capacity for standalone grocery stores, with entrance metering and no eating or drinking in the stores. Additionally, special hours should be instituted for seniors and others with chronic conditions or compromised immune systems.
    Shopping centers: Allow indoor access at 20% capacity with entrance metering and no eating or drinking in the stores. Additionally, special hours should be instituted for seniors and others with chronic conditions or compromised immune systems.

Yeah, I think the only time I've seen any metering is at the Trader Joe's, where there seems to frequently be a line dozen's deep.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Minnesota has an app, COVIDaware Minnesota, that supposedly notifies you if you’ve been in contact with someone that has covid. I’m assuming other states have it as well. I’ve had it on my phone since around Thanksgiving. I’m wondering if anyone has actually been notified about exposure through this app. It’s my understanding that it senses prolonged contact, 15 minutes or longer.

It’s been active in parts of California for a while, but not mine. In December, it went state-wide. since it’s opt-in (and not mandatory like in other countries) I’m skeptical about its usefulness, but I figured it couldn’t hurt and activated it.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    (Not glove-hoarding, BTW. My local hospital system was taking donations of unopened boxes of gloves at first, so I donated the unopened one of the big 2-pack I'd recently bought at Costco for crafts use, but kept the open one. Not using them often any more, but have them ready, including a small bag of them in the car, just in case. Suspect using gloves to avoid getting paint on my face/clothes is good practice for not spreading viruses to my face/clothes, though not a perfect analog.)

I don't think there's currently a shortage, is there? I got a bunch of them because my cat is taking a medicine that you rub into his ear wearing gloves, and so I ordered a package of gloves before picking up the medicine, only to learn that a glove was provided with the medicine. I don't use gloves, so would be happy to donate the box I bought if someone wanted it, but I don't think anyone does anymore.

Depends on the kind of glove, I think. We’ve had to ration the nitrile gloves of a certain thickness for our custodians as those will protect their hands from the sanitizing spray. We have other gloves of all kinds for everyone else as a germ barrier.
  • Psychgrrl
    Options
    I got the pfizer vaccine this morning. Just feel achey in my arm like I always do with the flu vaccine but a lot more achey. I have a weak immune system too so I was a little nervous (I was sick for a week after the chicken pox vaccine) but so far I feel good. I expect to probably feel a little run down the next few days, but that is way better than getting COVID.

I will definitely still be wearing a mask at all times and so will my coworkers since you can still spread the virus if you get it. They say mask wearing will be required even after the booster shot and immunity develops since there is still a small chance you can still get it. I actually wonder if wearing a mask in the hospitals might continue even long after COVID to prevent other airborne infections. Flu cases have been way down this year because of mask wearing.

Sounds like a good plan. You can still get the flu when you’ve had the flu shot. Makes sense with this as well.

And flu is down this season. Likely because of all the precautions we’re taking for COVID.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    (Not glove-hoarding, BTW. My local hospital system was taking donations of unopened boxes of gloves at first, so I donated the unopened one of the big 2-pack I'd recently bought at Costco for crafts use, but kept the open one. Not using them often any more, but have them ready, including a small bag of them in the car, just in case. Suspect using gloves to avoid getting paint on my face/clothes is good practice for not spreading viruses to my face/clothes, though not a perfect analog.)

I don't think there's currently a shortage, is there? I got a bunch of them because my cat is taking a medicine that you rub into his ear wearing gloves, and so I ordered a package of gloves before picking up the medicine, only to learn that a glove was provided with the medicine. I don't use gloves, so would be happy to donate the box I bought if someone wanted it, but I don't think anyone does anymore.

Depends on the kind of glove, I think. We’ve had to ration the nitrile gloves of a certain thickness for our custodians as those will protect their hands from the sanitizing spray. We have other gloves of all kinds for everyone else as a germ barrier.

Mine are the cheapo gloves, nothing special. Someone who wears them when they go out might find them useful, but they seem to be generally available.