What food as surprised you with the number of calories, fat,

Options

Replies

• jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Pick a food :frown: They all had more calories than I would have figured before I started logging.

What was devastating to me was the amount of calories I'll be able to eat on maintenance -- you know that 2000 calorie a day diet all the health agencies recommend? Yeah, right. My maintenance calories once I get to my goal weight will be less than 1500 net calories. It's depressing to contemplate: I get to my goal weight, yay, and then I get to eat like I'm on a very strict calorie-restricted diet for the rest of my life if I want to stay there.

I try not to think about it too much. But every time I'm reminded that a guy who's 6 feet tall gets 2000 calories for maintenance just automatically, before exercise, I want to cry.:sad:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    a crispy chicken salad at perkins - 1200 cals !!! that's my entire allowance for the day LOL
    and I was eating that for lunch
  • cowboydan43
    cowboydan43 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    This might sound stupid because most people would think it is a given, but nuts. I knew they were high in calories- just didn't know HOW high. :grumble: I can't believe how many cashews I used to eat as a "snack" seriously, like half a day's calories with no second thoughts! No wonder...haha

On the flip side- guacamole pleasantly surprised me! I thought it had waaaay more calories in it.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    anything from cheesecake factory. that stuff averages at the low end 1200 most has alot more than that
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Margarine! I stopped the whole family from eating butter 10 years ago, and switched to margarine. Cuz it's much healthier. right? WRONG!
    1 tbsp butter = v 12g of fat
    1 tbsp margarine = 11g of fat!
    Are you kidding?
    so now i buy a low cal margarine, 4g of fat....
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Wagamamas Chicken Katsu Curry, 800 cals, Its made fresh so you think oh itll be ok, but that really shocked me, my trip to wags in total is 1200 cals which is my daily allowance!! :O !!!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Granola bars.

I thought those things were supposed to be healthy!

And yogurt to be honest.

I dont like it enough to waste 100 calories on it...

they have 90 calorie Granola bars and they taste pretty good. Quaker makes them
  • RJSuperMan
    RJSuperMan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Similar to the Italian/pasta girls, I grew up in the Republic of Texas. 1,000 calorie steaks and burgers...huh...who woulda thunk it.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had a blueberry scone from Starbucks... I ate it before looking to see the calories. I think it was close to 400... I ate my whole dinner's worth of calories in one scone!
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    There is a pasta out there called smart taste and it's less calories then any of the others. You should try that if your like me and you like pasta but don't want all the calories. :) for a cup it's like a hundred and somethig. Other pastas are two hundred up to three hundred calories for a cup or a half cup!
  • sonybalony
    sonybalony Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Macaroni and Cheese... Holy Crapolla!!! A serving is 1 cup, ONE measly cup, who eats a CUP of Mac and Cheese???
    400 calories for that.... I almost cried when I realized it!

Then I ate at a friends not that long ago and it was on the plate, she was kind and only gave me a "taste", 200 calories later, I realized it doesn't really taste as good as I remember! Course, I'm 30 pounds lighter, and having not eaten a whole lotta processed foods for a couple months.

Sonia
  • katertot98
    Options
    Most restaurant salads. Even without the dressing or with a low cal/fat dressing, it is possible to walk outta there just having eaten a 1200 calorie salad (or more). Scary, when I can make a delicious salad at home for under 200 calories, and that includes chicken and some sort or dressing or vinaigrette.
  • marialynnporter
    marialynnporter Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Granola bars.

I thought those things were supposed to be healthy!

And yogurt to be honest.

I dont like it enough to waste 100 calories on it...

Nature valley is good. I like the sweet and salty bars it's 160 calories not to bad or the peanutbutter ones are 190 calories for two. And light and fit yogurt is 80 calories. That's what I eat sometimes. Pretty good.

they have 90 calorie Granola bars and they taste pretty good. Quaker makes them
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Activia yogurt (and other popular brands, but especially this brand!), breakfast cereals, salad dressings, CROUTONS! ha
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    We all know beer is empty calories, carb-loaded, blah blah blah. But some take it to the extreme. My absolute favorite beer, Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine-style Ale. One 12 ounce bottle is 520 calories. Let me repeat that, ONE 12 OUNCE BOTTLE OF BIGFOOT IS 520 CALORIES! And to think I used to drink that by the sixer!
  • msrobinson77
    Options
    Costco muffins. I don't eat them much but, they are offered at a lot of our work meetings. They are 600 calories and up...not worth it in my book!
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Most restaurant salads. Even without the dressing or with a low cal/fat dressing, it is possible to walk outta there just having eaten a 1200 calorie salad (or more). Scary, when I can make a delicious salad at home for under 200 calories, and that includes chicken and some sort or dressing or vinaigrette.

THIS^^ I always feel awkward ordering a salad when going out to eat with friends. I HATE it actually, to the point that I try getting out of going out. It's impossible to make a lot of places my friends go even remotely healthy.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Ranch dressing :( I love the stuff and never in my life thought it was that high in cal :( I still use in on sandwiches I`m just very careful with messureing it now ( I hate Mayo and mustard so I can`t give ranch up )
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I ate an avocado. Then logged it--over 300 calories! Now I weigh each piece and calculate gram weight and convert to calories before eating. It's like eating mayonnaise or butter.

Also, booze. I like to have some vodka drinks with my husband after a long day. Usually I have two drinks, each with 2 oz. vodka-- that's 120 calories per drink, even when only mixed with soda and a tiny squeeze of lemon. Fortunately with working out I can earn the calories and still enjoy them. When I waited tables it was common to have 3 or 4 drinks after work and I knew people who had much more than that!
  • Maripepelu
    Maripepelu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was surprised too. I just added it in my food record for the first time and now i am going to think again before use it often.