$10,000
    * Insulated Window
    * Down Payment on a New Car
    * Kitchen/Bathroom Remodel

Carol in GA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed your responses about spending $10k. I first thought a used car dealership, but having just gone through that, it takes longer than an hour to buy a car even when you do the legwork ahead of a physical visit.

Then I thought windows were a good idea, but it would be far more. Then I thought a tile store because we want to build a screened in patio, but I don’t think it will be $10k. And now, Heather is right. I’d spend it on me and go for travel. Morocco or a Rick Steves tour or both.

Another possibility would be a nice carbon fiber electric bike. Though travel is always my first choice.

TINA in cold, but sunny CA

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Heather and Kylia - Beautiful works. I never think of pretty stuff I always think practical.

Barbara - My cousin has had three surgeries so far for the skin cancer. Her is her story
    The spot was about the size of a pin head when she first noticed it in November 2019, but she thought it was dry skin she threw some lotion on it and kept going. By the middle of December she tried to make an appointment with her doctor, but he was on holidays. She didn't think it was anything so didn't push to see another doctor. They went on holidays in early February of 2020 and when she returned and finally was able to get an appointment it ended up being a video call because of Covid. Her doctor set her up with a dermatologist right away and she was diagnosed over the phone. The "dry patch" had grown to about the size of a pencil eraser by the time she finally got in for surgery in June. They had to go very deep and her whole side of her nose was operated on. To graph and rebuild they also had to go up into her hairline, from the bridge of her nose up across her forehead. She has had 3 surgeries so far building her nose back up and was informed two weeks ago that she needs to have another one, but they have to wait 6 months because her face needs a rest. She looks good, but isn't quite herself things look a little off kilter. Throughout all of this is when she started having some memory issues, she can be talking and forget what she is saying and can't find her words. She has also found things where she never would put them, her wallet was in a drawer in the bathroom vanity for example. She went for a CT Scan in October for this and they found some calcification but she is waiting for an MRI so that a neurologist can see her. Of course, this is all delayed by Covid. She had fought for 2.5 years from late 2015 to early 2018 with health issues that turned out to be Fibromyalgia. She confessed to me that she is petrified and doesn't know how to deal with all of this unknown and she doesn't want to burden her loved ones. My heart is breaking for her.

Well after that novel, I should get to work.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Allie: It is good news that the hospital has a bed for you. I hope everything goes very well and that the doctors manage to get your health back to excellent. :heart:

Betsy: So far, no glasses. I called the optical shop & was told that it would go to the post office the next day. I still haven’t seen them. Perhaps they’ll be in today’s mail. I don’t have much confidence. :grumble:

Meg: It is wonderful to see your post! I’m sorry to hear that you lost a cat. I think our fur-babies are important parts of our lives. :broken_heart::heart:

Pip: What a remarkable quilt top! :star:

Heather: Cornwall instantly puts King Arthur & the Knights of the Round Table into my thoughts. I would love to see it in person someday, but I doubt that is very likely. :ohwell:

Sue in WA: I hope you’re able to get your vaccination in the near future. We’ve had no specific date for vaccination and there is nothing scheduled so far. We stay home and wear masks in public when shopping for groceries. I’m not delighted about the “roll out,” to say the least. :grumble:

Yesterday we paid off our car!!! YAY! If only my glasses would come. I called them yesterday and they claimed they would put it in the mail today. NOT holding my breath. When I next get new glasses, I’ll look somewhere else. I am very much inclined to complain to my eye doctor, although I don’t know whether that is useful. I would like to get some advice on the situation if any of you has a suggestion.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    We had our singing group Zoom today. :D
    Most people were managing ok, but there were a few very old ladies who weren't quite grasping it. At least they had a go. We sang about ten songs, on mute, with Jason playing the piano and singing. It was fun, if a little chaotic. The people who organise it all work so, so hard for us. Real troopers.
    Tonight we have Zoom with both of DH's daughters together. :)

All good here. Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    hi I've been pretty active and on top of things, relatively speaking but today is a bust.
    wierd stuff going on at work.
    it exhausted me.
    long to explain.
    thank goodness classes went well.

totally avoiding reading email since this afternoon. I needed a break.
    after classes, walk around the neighbourhood, easy heated up lunch, then sooooo tired. I was in bed a moment and had the shivers/chills for a good while but no fever. not sure what that is about as I had not been particularly cold. I eventually fell asleep and that passed.
    and then since late in afternoon I have been escaping online (watching dumb videos and playing online spades a the same time).

I feel like I need the break. I was working on mails pretty much all day yesterday and also a good part of the insomniac night so it's fair balance, but not totally balanced;

one of the many subjects my students were talking about was sleep being out of sync. about half of us, me included said our sleep was out of sync. or something like that.

students are really going through a hard time. It's almost like a therapy sometimes. The majority talk to some degree, about how lonely they feel, how many are are depressed, how they are having trouble being motivated to do good work, and how they are unsure if they want to continue studies, and so on. We try to move the discussion into a more constructive way but it seems to be weighted to a regular discussion about how challenging things are. One mini-conclusion by one which made us all laugh was, "life sucks".
    I generally try to be positive and encouraging. But it's been a year and though I did try to bring the mood up a bit, sometimes its also ok to let people express the reality of their experience.

after short break I showed a video clip for humour to shake up the mood, which seemed to work ok. This one.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ht1ZnXiIBc0

and the very very first minute of the poet laureate from the inauguration (explaining what a poet laureate was and so on) suggesting they look it up and listen and read the text in English and it's translation (since it's not SO easy to get everything without translation.).

We did then move into more upbeat subjects to change the tone.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht1ZnXiIBc0 link didn't work. here it is to copy and paste maybe.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Tracey: my heart goes out to your cousin... what an ordeal! I'm so glad you are there for her.

Bananas: sorry you're having an exhausting day...thankfully the classes went well. The video did have me laughing!! :smiley:

Heather: a zoom singing group with elderly people where everybody is muted and nobody can hear anybody else, just strikes me as funny for some reason. But that's a cool idea for everybody to be able to see each other! DH and I attend our church on zoom on Sunday mornings. They mute all of us too, so I guess it's SORTA the same thing. Lol.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Another Getting To Know You Question:

You have 1 hour to spend $10,000 inside 1 store.
    Where are you going?

M in Oz

Amazon! So I can spend it as needed. Otherwise, a place that sells 4x4 vehicle to ride around the park. Similar to a golf cart.
    RvRita
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I thought about a car, but I’d need more than $10,000. Then I thought about furniture but I don’t think I need that much furniture. Then I thought if the Apple store. I could get tablets for both of us, phones for both of us, a laptop for me, a desktop for Dave and a new printer. Accessories for all. That ought to take care of the $10,000 and I could do it in an hour if I planned before I went.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Rebecca
    Those photos of Athena are beautiful! Especially #3 (The close-up).

Carol in GA
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @drkatiebug ah good idea for the apple store! powerful desktop (top one is 5000 dollars), MacBook Pro (top one is about 1700) 2 laptops, , high memory iPad mini (400), earphones, speakers, and if extra money left over an iPhone or 2 for a friend or 2 who could use one...realistic and easy and useful.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    totally out of sync today.
    crashed in afternoon and now at 11pm I am wide awake! I did write some emails.
    fingers are tired of typing. I don't like doing houswork at night.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 2hrs 26min 51sec, 186elev, 3.42ap, 85ahr, 119mhr, 8.41mi= 754c
    Strava app = 1018c
    Zwift bike trainer- 29.45min, 138ahr, 158mhr, 200elev, 20.2amph, 10.02mi= 280c
    Strava app = 235c

Total cal 1034
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Teresa - It is very funny, especially watching some very ancient ladies wobbling their Fire tablets about. Makes you sea sick! We can see and hear Jason, but we look as if we are all just opening and closing our mouths and doing a thumbs up. DH and I sit together on the sofa and warble. It's best if it's an easy tune. There were a couple today that were quite difficult. Still we enjoyed it. :D Jason is going to restart the Classical singing for those who want to. We used to love that session, much to our surprise. We do say hello to each other at the beginning and end.

Zoom with step daughters went well. Great for DH to see them both. One has permanently moved to France since December to beat Brexit.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Its Athena Lovin Time! A photographer asked if she could have Athena do her Valentine's promo sitting ad. The result.💖💕💟💌

💖
    Rebecca
    missing my Athena!

Oh. My. Goodness. She is so grown up. So beautiful!

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump video today. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise

Debbie – one person said that people weren’t wearing masks in church, another said they were. I suspect that the person who said they weren’t went early on, like in March, when people were more lax. Now they’ve gotten more serious. But I’m still not about to take the chance. After I get my second vaccine, I may feel differently.

Kylia – thanks for the heads-up about equipment.

Helped Vince take the ornaments off the cat tree. I guess that’s the last of the trees except for the main tree, and I’ve already taken off the ones I can take off. We leave in a few for the vet

Remember the dilemma I mentioned yesterday about the water at work. Well, I spoke to one gal who has been there for years, she basically told me that no one really gets fired. I should ask her about the gal who was always in the bathroom checking her Instagram. I understand she’s no longer there. Wonder what happened? Anyway, this gal suggested that I bring 4 bottles of water with me and if they don’t have any, use that. If they do, use that and take some home. I never thought of that!

Dee – thanks for sharing the scrapbook page. Loved it

After exercise picked up a piece of glass. Stopped at Hobby Lobby right after they opened and got another picture frame. Then bought gas, then to Food Lion to talk to that gal. The vet in a few

Katla – YEEEEAAAAAA!!!!!

Tina Arizona – welcome!

Rebecca – love the valentine beauty

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,445 Member
    Options
    Her eyes are mesmerizing huh?!!💖