WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2021

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Kymaral: We haven’t had snow in more than a year. I would love to see some snow but it doesn’t seem likely at this point. :ohwell:

Pip: You are amazing and savvy. The idea of hiring a property manager to rent the condo for six months is brilliant! I hope all goes well and you’re able to move into your new home asap. :bigsmile:

Kate UK & Heather: Our previous cable TV provider had the Hairy Bikers in the line-up and I enjoyed seeing them. We were not happy with the provider due to poor service so we switched to satellite TV. Sadly, Hairy Bikers is not available, but we’re much happier with our satellite TV. We are able to see the local Oregon news stations via our satellite provider along with many other channels. The Great British Bake Off is on the Oregon Public TV station. :star:

This morning is foggy. It is nice to be cozy and warm inside.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A super gray and wet weekend here, not so pleasant. But I measured today and I have lost 3.6 lbs since starting back at it two weeks ago. And, my sugar levels (always a disappointment) have dropped almost 100 pts. Still not in a normal range, but better.

What would I have for dinner? Well, actually, I would change it to breakfast. There is this tiny little restaurant (4 tables) in Silver Gate, Montana just outside of Yellowstone National Park that created the best breakfast I have ever had. I would love to go back and enjoy it again. Whenever my family reminisces about vacations we inevitably all say remember that little restaurant we ate that fantastic breakfast at and get a happy dreamy look on our faces. I don't know maybe it was just the mountain air and scenery that made it so amazing, but any place that makes french toast out of banana bread gets my vote.

Travel? Oh my goodness, if I could have one wish come true it would be to travel endlessly. I have created power points of the vacations I want to take some day just in case...
    topping my list would be to become fit enough to hike with mountain gorillas and visit Dian Fossey's grave site in Rwanda's Volcanoes Park while staying at the amazing Bisate Lodge; next would be to travel the Canadian Rockies and experience Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper; I desperately want to go to the Katmai National Park to Brooks Camp and see the grizzlies fishing; there is so much in South America I want to see...the Galapagos, Machu Picchu , Iguazu
    Falls, the Pantanal, Patagonia, the Amazon....China's National Parks, Italy, Greece, the western part of Australia that I didn't see last time, Tasmania, and I would love to return to Kangaroo Island and the Great Barrier Reef, and SOOOO many of the US national parks I have not visited. I have a solid list of my top 100 places to visit that I regularly research, lol

5 beautiful things:
    Well, it is hard in Ohio right now to see beauty as it is so gray, but in the past week:
    1. two deer crossed my path on a walk
    2. it has been so warm lately there are buds on my trees (way to early to be thinking about Spring, trees)
    3. snow flurries are lovely and Bumble loves the snow
    4. a video of my daughter's new horse being ridden for the first time, can't wait to see that in person
    5. there have been more people wearing masks at the grocery store since the holidays and vaccines are started

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Decluttering today
    for flylady:(master) bedroom today. Staring with top shelf(ves). Went through 2 and eaked out a bit of space. I'm not sure if it's worth keeping very favorite CDs and DVDs. I ordered this online at least 2 years ago. It holds 40 DVDS/CDS in a much more compact space than case by case. 64t5c0eu9bb1.png

I put my favourite art videos: Rothko's Rooms, Street At by Tate modern, Bauhaus, The Eye of the Heart about Bill Viola, and a few others, a very edited video I made of my nieces graduation party, as I was learning video editing: with music and interview about 1) why are you here? and 2) what is friendship for you?, people playing badminton, the old dog, and so on. It makes for a lovely memories... a few other short videos I made in the following years, and a few movies I happened to have on DVD and really liked: "cold mountain", "once", (both with very strong acoustic instrumental and voice sound track by the way!) and a couple of others. I love the 1/4 shelf that that opened up and the finally tidying. I will go through CDs in next decluttering session. Yay! 2 sets of shelves are a mess, but this set is really not that hard to get through, just re-straightening some books and so on. Who reads books much these days. I really don't ahave many, but am not ready to give up the 50-100 I have. I few on research subjects im' interested in, very few on buddhism, a few thick dictionaries, a few technical or how to books (how to get out stains, still good, video editing- very probably obsolete, found an old poetry book that I thought I had somehow no longer had: short French love poems over a couple of centuries. It's lovely!!

Some poems sweet, others funny, others cheeky...

Now correcting
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Outside things -
    Our daffodils are almost ready to bloom in our front garden. :o
    We love watching the birds in the back garden every morning. The squabbling sparrows at the feeder and the patient pigeons waiting for the seeds to fall. The robin always on the same branch, waiting to pick up a few peanut crumbs and the blackbird listening for worms.
    The tulips I planted in a large pot outside our dining room window are poking above the soil already! :o
    The lilac tree is budding. Our geraniums have survived the frosts.
    Spring is just around the corner! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    B)
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    any takers?
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    CJ3TEACH

WELCOME!
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    KATLA Hairy Bikers have a website with recipes an they’re on BBC good food websites. Not as good as watching them but better than nothing

Kate UK ❤️

Just checked there are videos on HB website too
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    @dandl1986 - You are so right about finding beauty in our grey winter. I will say that the snow today makes it look like we are inside a living snowglobe.

@cj3teach - Welcome. Stick with us and you will find lots of support!

So the book I am reading is "sugar shock" . With hypoglycemia and yeast issues, I thought it was a great idea. I generally do eat fairly healthy. Few processed foods, little alcohol, and the only sweetened drink is honey in my coffee or hot tea. However, the book has made me second guess some of my choices. I do reach for chocolates when I am bored, hungry, and or thirsty. I was sitting here thinking I am hungry, went to grab candy, told myself I needed food. I made egg burrito with power greens and tomato with a side of unsweetened applesauce. Non-scale victory! Dinner is out with friends tonight. Last night shared with husband at dinner. It was perfect serving size. He won't share tonight. 😉

Kylia
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday!

On a side note: My youngest son had this weekend off work. He works M-F (40 hours), then has mandatory OT every other weekend. Friday night, I asked him to help me with a couple of things on Saturday, and he told me he had an all day gaming tournament! ?!? Never heard of such a thing! Turns out, his love of video games, can pay off! He is ranked in the top 10 in the world for one of the new VR (virtual reality) games. I guess, "gamers"/ game makers track the scores of the players, then they hold sponsored tournaments. Top players win $$ based on how well they do, and they also earn the chance to move on to the next tournament. This is the first tournament, the winner takes home around $2.5K. As the tournaments get bigger, the prize money from sponsors gets bigger. Not bad for a hobby that makes most parents want to pull their hair out!

Well, I better fly! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

There are actually tournaments of video gamers where thousands of fans pack into some sort of arena and watch others play video games. Of course they are on hold for covid right now, but they do have them. I would get bored, but apparently it's a big deal.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, we went on a nice, overly ambitious hike. Right now, my max is about 4miles RT, but yesterday we ended up at just under 6 and were exhausted. My body just isn't ready for that much, yet. Today, off to kayak, hoping the wind doesn't kick up too much.

Getting the outdoor activities in this weekend, as the weather is due to be colder and rainy next weekend.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Cj3 - love the pics! What name can we call you? And whereabouts are you?

Luci - How great to see you and your lovely granddaughter. So big now! I've been wondering about you and hoping the dreaded covid hadn't got you. Sorry to hear you've lost people.

I have the Hairy Bikers diet book no 1 on my tablet. I habitually make the Chicken and Chorizo bake, which is known as "Hairy Bikers" in our house. I use chicken thighs and red pepper though. I also make their Lamb Tagine often. And I have made their Paella.
    We make their non diet Lancashire Hotpot occasionally.
    They did a fun road trip down Route 66 a year or so ago.

Everyone who knows me knows I am a stickler for times and appointments. :o>:) No messing.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome @cj3teach! So glad you have joined us.

I have successfully followed my food boundaries this week and as a result have dropped 1 1/2 lbs. I don’t know why I have such trouble remembering that the plan works when you work it! I am 2 lbs away from being out of the obese category on the traditional height/weight chart. My short term goal is to be there by the end of January.

It is cold here in Georgia! I am trying to channel the words of Barbie - there is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing, or something similar anyways. I’m about to bundle up and hit the road.