Does fasted cardio burn more fat

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    sflano1783 wrote: »
    Can I still lose fat eating anything once I track everything and weigh out foods even without getting the right amount of protein each day as long as its within my calories but if I go that way I might feel more hungry eating non clean foods as some junk don't fill you up
    That's what I did this past June till November and lost 40lbs of extra fat. People at my gym still don't believe it. And I don't work out fiendishly hard either. I train one body part a day for about 30-45 mins and just walk daily. BUT I did track everything I ate and stayed in a little higher than moderate calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,965 Member
    Can I still lose fat eating anything once I track everything and weigh out foods even without getting the right amount of protein each day as long as its within my calories but if I go that way I might feel more hungry eating non clean foods as some junk don't fill you up

If you don't get a reasonable amount of protein on average (i.e., on most days), you will struggle to achieve your muscle-gain goal. Protein is the building block for muscle. You need to eat it a certain amount, to gain muscle. The occasional low day here or there is probably not a huge issue, but a reasonable amount most of the time is important if you're serious about muscle gain.

Others' opinions will differ, but these guys (research based, generally regarded as neutral, not selling supplements), suggest that a guy your size could eat 112-167g protein daily and be OK, if I got your stats right.

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

Calories determine weight loss. Good nutrition is important for health, energy, and body composition. Body composition includes goals of muscularity.

Of course you'll find it useful to eat foods that are filling for you. Eating *some* less filling, less nutrient dense food may be OK - you may still be able to feel full overall. It's not all or nothing. If you eat mostly filling, nutritious foods all day, but eat a serving of potato chips within your calorie goal, it doesn't cancel out your other foods' calories or nutrition. (Yeah, some people find it hard to stop at one serving of potato chips. So, that could be a problem, even if you're feeling full. You can figure out how to handle these things yourself: Experiment.)
  • sflano1783
    sflano1783 Posts: 117 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    That's what I did this past June till November and lost 40lbs of extra fat. People at my gym still don't believe it. And I don't work out fiendishly hard either. I train one body part a day for about 30-45 mins and just walk daily. BUT I did track everything I ate and stayed in a little higher than moderate calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well done
  • ninerbuff
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

If you don't get a reasonable amount of protein on average (i.e., on most days), you will struggle to achieve your muscle-gain goal. Protein is the building block for muscle. You need to eat it a certain amount, to gain muscle. The occasional low day here or there is probably not a huge issue, but a reasonable amount most of the time is important if you're serious about muscle gain.

Others' opinions will differ, but these guys (research based, generally regarded as neutral, not selling supplements), suggest that a guy your size could eat 112-167g protein daily and be OK, if I got your stats right.

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

Calories determine weight loss. Good nutrition is important for health, energy, and body composition. Body composition includes goals of muscularity.

Of course you'll find it useful to eat foods that are filling for you. Eating *some* less filling, less nutrient dense food may be OK - you may still be able to feel full overall. It's not all or nothing. If you eat mostly filling, nutritious foods all day, but eat a serving of potato chips within your calorie goal, it doesn't cancel out your other foods' calories or nutrition. (Yeah, some people find it hard to stop at one serving of potato chips. So, that could be a problem, even if you're feeling full. You can figure out how to handle these things yourself: Experiment.)
    I agree here. TOO MUCH emphasis is put on protein in excess for muscle. Many competitive bodybuilders do a lot of excess because with DRUGS, they have a higher protein synthesis process. Hence they are freaky as hell in hypertrophy.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sflano1783
    Can I lose weight eating every few hours like how many hours between meals should I eat for fat loss
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited February 2021
    In short:

Calorie Deficit for Fat Loss (How much you eat)
    Macro/Micro Nutrient Awareness/Consumption for adequate nutrition/satiety/adherance to calorie deficit (What you eat)
    Meal Frequency for adherance to calorie deficit and working around your personal schedule (How often you eat)
    Meal Timing for adherance to calorie deficit and working around your personal schedule/preferences (When you eat)
    Cardio exercise for cardio health
    Strength Training for maintaining/gaining muscle, increasing strength & improving bone density
  • jeannabug94
    jeannabug94 Posts: 2 Member
    technically it should because you will be pulling from the fat for energy instead of calories already taken in and stored sugar. your body will have already burned through the stored sugar and such just leaving you burning from the fat
  • sflano1783
    Calorie deficit for fat loss. That's all it takes.

Well-designed strength training program, faithfully performed, plus good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively enough protein) for muscle gain.

Fat loss (especially if trying to keep/gain muscle at the same time) is slow. It won't show up as scale weight loss every day or even every week. Over many weeks, you'll know whether you're losing fat, by scale weight and by tape measurements or appearance.

Muscle gain is even slower, especially if pursing fat loss at the same time. You'll see results in more like months to years.

You keep coming back and asking us the same questions, mere days apart. You will not reliably see results in days. It takes longer. Much longer.

If you don't believe what we're telling you, that's fine . . . but asking again is not going to draw out different answers. In particular, it's not going to draw out answers that are more like what you may want to hear. You're going to get answers that are what we believe, and what (for many of us) we've seen take place in our own lives.

You've talked about wanting fat loss and muscle gain. For those goals:

Eat at a small calorie deficit to lose fat slowly.
    Faithfully follow a good strength training program to gain muscle, which is going to be very slow.
    Get good overall nutrition (especially protein, but not just protein) to support muscle gain and health.
    Be patient. Very patient.

Beyond that, do what works for you to stay full and happy, and keep things practical and affordable, because your routine needs to be sustainable. It's going to take months for noticeable overall progress, maybe even years to reach your personal ideals. Patience.

I asking cause I haven't got answers to my diet plan I dunno what to eat for each meals and how many meals per day that will keep me from craving other foods etc
  • sflano1783
    I need around 2116kcals per day to be in a calorie deficit
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member

Well-designed strength training program, faithfully performed, plus good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively enough protein) for muscle gain.

Fat loss (especially if trying to keep/gain muscle at the same time) is slow. It won't show up as scale weight loss every day or even every week. Over many weeks, you'll know whether you're losing fat, by scale weight and by tape measurements or appearance.

Muscle gain is even slower, especially if pursing fat loss at the same time. You'll see results in more like months to years.

You keep coming back and asking us the same questions, mere days apart. You will not reliably see results in days. It takes longer. Much longer.

If you don't believe what we're telling you, that's fine . . . but asking again is not going to draw out different answers. In particular, it's not going to draw out answers that are more like what you may want to hear. You're going to get answers that are what we believe, and what (for many of us) we've seen take place in our own lives.

Faithfully follow a good strength training program to gain muscle, which is going to be very slow.
    Get good overall nutrition (especially protein, but not just protein) to support muscle gain and health.

Beyond that, do what works for you to stay full and happy, and keep things practical and affordable, because your routine needs to be sustainable. It's going to take months for noticeable overall progress, maybe even years to reach your personal ideals. Patience.

I asking cause I haven't got answers to my diet plan I dunno what to eat for each meals and how many meals per day that will keep me from craving other foods etc

That's because there is no set number of how many meals you "should" eat or foods you are "supposed to" eat.

You can eat what you like, and what satisfies you, and what fits in your calorie goal. That is a very personal thing: what I like and makes me full might not be what you like. You need to try things and figure out what works for you personally. Start with foods you enjoy, in appropriate portion sizes to meet your calorie goal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You can eat whatever you want, as long as the result is a calorie deficit.

You can have however many meals you want per day, as long as the result is a calorie deficit.

That's all it takes for weight loss.

As far as what will help you resist cravings, nobody can just hand you that answer. What works for me might be different than what works for you.

What many people have found is that when their calorie goal is reasonable, they're meeting their nutritional needs (especially protein, fiber, and fat), and they're regularly eating foods they enjoy, cravings aren't as much of a problem.
  • ninerbuff
    technically it should because you will be pulling from the fat for energy instead of calories already taken in and stored sugar. your body will have already burned through the stored sugar and such just leaving you burning from the fat
    Total depletion of glycogen is RARE. While there are some that have and PAID for it (Triathletes running on fumes then hitting the ground because they burned through all their stores), the body doesn't break down fat that quickly for energy to move voluntary muscle without a major crash. And the majority of even fasted people (myself included) don't hit that apex.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff

You can eat whatever you want, as long as the result is a calorie deficit.

You can have however many meals you want per day, as long as the result is a calorie deficit.

That's all it takes for weight loss.

As far as what will help you resist cravings, nobody can just hand you that answer. What works for me might be different than what works for you.

What many people have found is that when their calorie goal is reasonable, they're meeting their nutritional needs (especially protein, fiber, and fat), and they're regularly eating foods they enjoy, cravings aren't as much of a problem.

THIS. Don't complicate it. I'm a night eater. That's why I MAKE SURE I have calories for evening snacking. I eat my meals based on my habitual behavior of eating. I just make sure that I fulfill my macro/micronutrient needs and count my calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Total depletion of glycogen is RARE. While there are some that have and PAID for it (Triathletes running on fumes then hitting the ground because they burned through all their stores), the body doesn't break down fat that quickly for energy to move voluntary muscle without a major crash. And the majority of even fasted people (myself included) don't hit that apex.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think twice in my life I've come close to depleting my glycogen (both during marathons when I made unwise fueling decisions). It's an unpleasant feeling I wouldn't wish on anyone and it's absolutely different than the everyday feeling of exercising in a fasted state.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member

Experiment with different macro ratios, timings and frequencies, as long as you remain in a calorie deficit, fat loss will happen, using your Food Notes section can be a good way to note days you had more or less hunger. Setting the names of your meals to time slots instead of Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snacks can also help you look back over meal timings and frequencies to review what has or hasn't worked. Bear in mind that if you're changing macros around you may see a gain on the scale, even if you're in a deficit, that is just water retention and it doesn't mean what you're doing isn't working.

Cravings tend to happen more often when you make foods you like off limits, see if you can satisfy craving with smaller portions of those things or substitutions for them before considering cutting them altogether.

For example if you like fries, obviously the kind you get from a fast food place are going to be pretty calorific because they are usually deep fried. The humble potato itself is not that calorific and has some pretty decent nutritional value, I make my own fries by tossing chipped potato in a couple of sprays of 1 cal oil spray and some seasoning and bake it for 30 mins.

I use light Philadelphia cheese as a substitute for Ricotta or Cream when making gratins/lasagne, etc.

I try not to keep large packs of snack foods in the house or if I do, I'll try to portion them out into small tubs of a 100-150cal serving. As I mentioned earlier upthread I made homemade chocolate cake, but the bulk of it was Beetroot (400g) and Eggs (4) and there was no butter or oil, very little sugar and only very dark chocolate in it it tasted delicious but was higher in Protein and Fibre than anything I would have bought at a shop.