February 2021 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    @juliet3455 - Yikes that is too cold! You may have to resort to @AlphaHowls crazy laps inside in the house.
    @Eaglesfanintn - Hope you heal quickly! If you have one, you might try some foam rolling before the stretching.
    @martaindale - That is very speedy! Great workout!
    @polskagirl01 - your little workout room sounds awesome! I wish I could build out something similar in my home. Maybe if I get rid of my dh's bed 😁 she could sleep on a treadmill when she comes home to visit, right? We'll just put one of those memory foam things on it!
    @142jmh - what kind of pup do you have that loves the cold? I have a Vizsla and we have no idea how they could ever have tolerated the cold in Hungary. He shivers when it is in the low 50s here. At agility class last night it was 54 and he needed his blanket jacket on between runs.
    @skippygirlsmom - glad to see your update! I have been thinking about you and hoping you were doing ok.

No run/walk for me today. Between my longish (6.5mi) run/walk yesterday and agility last night (another 2 miles of running), Hobbes the Vizsla and I both need a rest day. I will be doing some strength training this afternoon though, likely while he frowns and judges my workout and then sleeps and snores thru the vast majority of it.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    @polskagirl01 It sounds like you are going to have a great little home gym. I love that you are going to get forest wallpaper. Great job on your treadmill speedwork today.

Thanks @skippygirlsmom . Hope you continue to heal. It's been almost 5 weeks since my surgery and it has gone by so fast. I've barely put a dent in my post-op to to list - things I need to do that I CAN do. Seems like other things keep popping up that have to be done first. Anyway, I'm trying to encourage you that the time goes quickly and hopefully you will be back to being active before you know it.

• quilteryoyo
    2/1 2.02 miles 3.5 mph - treadmill
    2/2 2.23 miles 3.5 mph - treadmill
    2/3 2.00 miles 3.6 mph - driveway laps
    2/4 2.00 miles 3.3 mph - driveway laps
    2/5 2.00 miles 3.5 mph - driveway laps and neighbor's field
    2/6 1.75 miles 3.3 mph - driveway laps and neighbor's field
    2/7 2.50 miles 3.6 mph - driveway laps
    2/8 2.00 miles 3.8 mph - 2 separate walks to my mom's and back
    2/9 2.00 miles 3.6 mph - driveway laps

Monthly Total: 18.50/56 miles

We had a meeting with the lawyer this afternoon about dad's estate. We did some other things while in town, so it was after 4 when I got home. Those trips always make me tired. I was tempted to take today as a rest day, but it was fairly nice out, really nice for the beginning of February, so I talked myself to walking driveway laps while dinner cooked. I'm glad I did, because I felt more energized as the walk went on instead of just wanting to quit.

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,646 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hey all.

The rain I was expecting yesterday came today and it was WET! I did 8k. I kept trying to slow down, but I was so comfortable I found it challenging. I was supposed to do 6:27 min/k and ended up with 6:17. This gets me excited, cause it means I'm on form.

I'm starting to get really excited!

Go you. Good to see your base fitness held through your injury. You’re going to do so well next weekend!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited February 2021
    February Goal: Hike/Run the "C's" *

2/1 off
    2/2 3.50 Cote D'Ivoire and Cape Verde Islands
    2/3 off
    2/4 3.35 Cambodia
    2/5 Life
    2/6 3.55 Cameroon
    2/7 4.30 Canada
    2/8 off
    .....I deep mucked the chicken coop, then took all the ...muck....and hand tilled it into the garden. Then relocated all my (heavy) container veggie pots, then planted all my tomato starts. Found many muscles that I didn't know existed before....
    2/9 2.10 (no "travel")

Total 16.80

@avidkeo Not just train trips....I realize my paragraph below was poorly worded. I added both of your suggestions to my travel itinerary!

exercise.png

*So, my 2021 resolution is to hike/run all 193 (or 195 depending on your source) countries of the world this year. This could be difficult, since I don’t have a passport. But YouTube to the rescue! I have been using the site to take train “trips” recently, and have found them strangely motivating. Why not use Youtube vlogs to hike/run the world (and learn something about each country?)

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi guys. Reaching out for some advice regarding the ankle. I twisted it on Friday last week. Had run in the morning no problems, but out walking on uneven ground in a park in some slightly loose shoes, I did some damage. It twisted outwards, and the outer ankle puffed up with a bit of a bruise. I’ve done the usual - ice, compression, elevation etc - and it does feel much better. Walking fairly normally but it’s still a bit puffy. I can flex the foot without pain but when I point my toe there is pain and it’s really uncomfortable.

I think I probably know the answer to this, but do you think I should try a gentle run on the treadmill or give it a bit longer? I’m really frustrated at more time off, but I definitely don’t want to make things worse.

Also, any tips on good support/taping much appreciated. 🙏 x

My husband recommends the ASO ankle stabilizer. In general ankles are self limiting in that it will hurt too much to run if you shouldn’t run, but if it’s still swollen and bruised I would definitely wait.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    @Faebert I'm not in any way a medical professional, but I would also wait! Frustrating now, but much better than injuring it worse and being out of running even longer. I hope it heals quickly for you!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    No running this last two days, as I have had to work late, but I did go to my body pump class last night. Too tired and hungry to run after though.
  • quilteryoyo
    You are doing great @Avidkeo ! You're going to kill that HM!

@HonuNui That's a lot of work, but I'm sure it pays off.

@kgirlhart That is cold! You did great with your run and good call to not run in the dark with potential black ice. That could end in disaster.

@Faebert Sorry about the ankle. I think I would wait a few more days too. You don't want to make it worse.

@142jmh Love the pictures of your dog. Tippy likes to play fetch with "sticks" that size too. It's dangerous. LOL I would like to have a Bernese Mountain dog, but it's just too hot for them here.