WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Does anyone know what happened witht JRsmom? She used to post daily
    and more recenltly we havenet heard much from Faye or Suzi. I imagine Suzi is very busy with work as can happen for her.
  • bananasandoranges
    In the usa, at least in the north east, where i'm from, "early to bed and early to rise" is not rare at all. Up at 5 or so and in bed by 9 or so is not uncommon. Moving to France, especially Paris, it was challenging. In Paris, (in normal times) never do you have dinner with others before 8pm; Usually the get together is at 8 at earliest and meal might start at 9...
    I was close to falling asleep shortly after arriving at get-togethers in my 1st years here; :D Now i've adapted more or less. I still like to get up very early when the days are long, and my most productive/efficient hours tend to be in the morning, and i LOVE early morning walk, after sunrise. But now we all have to be home at 6pm: no going for a walk, no post office errand, no food shopping, etc. It's a bit much, as there is no date limit. But, for whatever part of me needed to be home more, that part is satisfied.
    It has been great for meetings. It's hard to get everyone together and now not so much.
  • bananasandoranges
    edited February 2021
    done today
    walk
    tracked breakfast

to do
    write
    track rest of food today
    unclutter 15 min
    financial stuff to sort 15 min
    other papers 15 min
    meditate 15 min

grateful
    mild weather
    worker's rights collective
    other helpful people

long whinge about work
    Woke at 3 am and didn't get back to sleep.

a pain -in-the-neck colleague wrote a mail trying to make me look bad. (to explain the context would make for a long, uninteresting story) with false insinuations. i had to spend time going back through past mails -about a certain yearly task, every year, for 5 years back, and put into a tidy, easily-readable mail, with boxes, and say "for the historic of this see below, have a lovely day."
    This thinly veiled passive-aggressive stuff definitely seems to be part of working in higher ed, by most accounts. It's really sad, and not my bag, I'm not inherently competitive i think, but I have to deal with it.
    It's really too late to change fields, and i like many parts of my work, and I'm not certain that other fields don't have similar or comparable issues and trade-offs.
    What was sad is this person and i were close a few years back. The department was chaotic with no coordination a few years back and I told her I wanted to suggest coordination. She was adamantly against any coordination, due to past negative experience of coordination. But I found certain areas very unacceptably messy. So I did some research in other local schools (who all have coordinators in this area) brought in some stats, to the direction, and offered to be coordinator. This offer and initiative was welcomed by the direction, and not a big deal, financially but a tiny recognition just the same. She was furious. No longer because there was a coordinator, but because it wasn't her. She regularly tries to dis me to others. Many have told me. Early on, she called all our colleagues in the department, and would tell them half-truths, making it look like i was doing a power grab, whereas i was doing boring admin work that some had asked me to do (that i wasn't keen about, and had suggested i was not best to do), and this saved other teachers time! She gave it a break this fall, and I was helping her out when she was unable to get help. I thought she was going back to "normal" (not seeking ways to make me look bad with false info/insinuations, whenever the possibility to do so arises, usually with misleading half-truths) but I'm sad to see that that keeps going on an on. It's messed up.
    I tried to talk together early on, but she has always been firmly closed.

Fortunately no one seems to believe her except this one relatively new guy, for whatever reason. She most definitely told him some half-truths , or "inexactitudes" that, for what ever reason, he bought.

In addition to being a teacher, this colleague is a long-term, live-in caretaker in a meditation center, though i know she has major issues with the woman who runs the center, because she when we were close she would very often tell me many stories about issues with center manager, which seemed not so clear, (subtle power issues) but which were very disturbing to this colleague.
    I guess she suffers from lack of recognition, relative to what she feels she deserves, and is wanting to blame me and make me suffer for it. As if i were horribly sneaky to want to coordinate the chaotic service;

By the way, i saved some jobs, (no one has lost work nor had a reduction of hours. when i found the director had told someone he was going to let them go, a few years back i, with zero, job security, wrote to him at 7 am and said, it's not in that spirit that we had agreed we would work. He kept the person on with a permanent contract now), fought for keeping everyone's hours a few times over, (they have suggested phasing out some classes and increasing classes in my area as is the trend, but not necessarily an ideal approach. I argue against it), improved the profile of our department in the school slightly, had everyone's hours either maintained or increased by up to 30% (got this colleague's hours increased by about 30%), fought hard by attending many meetings to make sure the schedule we got was doable for all, when there was a major re haul of school schedule and program, got class sizes cut from 40 max to 25 max (a major issue), and still she attacks ceaselessly; I really don't get how people can be that way.

Just the usual work moans. not terribly original. i know many people have tough and tougher work situations and issues. but that's one of mine present and related to little sleep last night.

wishing you a great day.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    edited February 2021
    Does anyone know what happened witht JRsmom? She used to post daily
    and more recenltly we havenet heard much from Faye or Suzi. I imagine Suzi is very busy with work as can happen for her.

Fae is fine. She has had her jabs, and is recovering from jaw surgery, and like many others, is fighting the snow conditions. We are the same in U.K. Boris suggests extreme caution in opening up as he wants to make sure we don't have a resurgence and have to repeat lockdown. IMHO he is too optimistic. This virus is very adaptable, and the only way to stop spreading it is to limit its chances of transmission by any means we can.

Kelly: I'm so happy for you that you have got your license.

For those who don't know me, I have some equipment at home dumbbells et cetera, and I use walking videos, dance aerobics, etc and just my own long experience of exercise that I've done over all the years to boost my calories. Still fighting the nibblies from time to time. I find that keeping those things out of the house is the best way of not having them.

We don't often have snowy icy conditions, (about once every 10-15 years) and our recent snow was wet and slushy, really only lasted one day. We then had three days of rain and wind and then yesterday the temperature just rose to 9*C and it was like spring. It's all part of living in Ireland where we don't really get extremes of weather except in the Mournes. This morning I did my exercises in a vest top and shorts, at the moment I am looking out at a sunny spring day. I do,have all the cold weather gear from when we went on our regular ski trips to mainland Europe, where I loved hiking the pistedtrails.

I had a lovely weekend, some virtual family time, a walk with DYD, and some overindulgences on Sunday, which is the anniversary of our engagement in the late 1960s.

I have already done my morning workouts and am ready for breakfast (blueberries, muesli, yoghurt). Afterwards we will head out for our morning walk in the spring sunshine. Not sure what I will do after lunch.

Have a joyous and productive day. ☘️ Terri

6ov4jks85i8x.jpg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Having pancakes for lunch. It's Pancake Day! :D
    I don't go in for fancy fillings. We both LOVE lemon and sugar. :p

Then I'm going to venture round the corner to pick up milk and veggies. DH has promised to cook his amazing Hairy Bikers Lancashire Hotpot this week.
    We split the chores pretty well and we have a cleaner for the basics. She couldn’t come this Saturday, so I just postponed it to the next fortnight. The money we saved went on the fish and chips. :D We don't get very dirty, so a month between cleans is not impossible, with one or two mini top ups from us.
    I cook and do the laundry. Plus the occasional mini shop and clean. DH does most of the physical shopping ( I actually order our big delivery) and takes care of dessert and makes breakfast every day. He cleans up after me in the kitchen, and keeps it clean and swept. :D<3 He is in charge of the dishwasher.
    We share tea and coffee making and make our own afternoon snack. He does most of the trash, including dealing with all the Amazon boxes, but I help with that and take out glass bottles.
    I empty bins etc before the cleaner arrives. I hoover our posh rug. The cleaner's hoover is too strong.
    I'm fairly happy with the arrangements. Whenever we haven't had a cleaner, that's when it gets difficult. We can never decide on a good time to share the cleaning and I hugely resent having to be the organiser. £26 once a fortnight to save our marriage feels like a very good deal. :D
    We are both tidy. Everything has a place. I'm very OCD about objects and their placement so I'm always adjusting his stuff. :o
    I don't like things out of line. He puts up with me, but thinks I'm crazy!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,354 Member
    edited February 2021
    Tracey - glad the pain has lessened.

Allie - thinking of you. Time for you to just take care of you and let the rest of the world go hang, girl.

Using my phone as a hotspot this morning--the broadband internet provider is down, probably due to the bitter cold... and would be really surprised if they got anything fixed before this afternoon. I'm just pleased the cell towers are still functional. It's -12 F out there (-24 C).

My husband, who in the last three years at this job has never been late or called in sick, called his boss and told him he'd come in at 8 or 9 after the sun comes up, and his boss was fine with it. The landscaping crews at the company are able to get out for snow removal, because he went in early yesterday and got one of the plows up and running. Hopefully they won't break anything he has to fix before 8 or 9.

Regarding housework - I retired in May last year, rather unexpectedly, and have taken on the vast majority of the housework since, because he works a hard, physical job. In the summer, until I got ill in late August, I also took on the outside chores, watering the plants etc. Hope to be able to be outside again taking care of them this summer, too. He plants everything, and just tells me what to water and when. The exception to me taking on the house chores is cooking - which he actually enjoys and I do not. He still cooks, I just do the dishes after.

Corey is my sole source of support, and it makes me very happy to make his life as easy as I can--a labor of love, so to speak. Which sounds kind of twee, I know, and I'm not trying to be all Miss Mary Sunshine, but after more than 40 years of decision-making and stress at work, it's been heaven to have my biggest decision for the day to decide between making the bed first or getting the dishes going.

Speaking of which, just got the yogurt into individual jars, need to go buzz up my morning smoothie, which is lactose free yogurt and mandarin oranges at the moment - with a little bit of sweetener, tastes a bit like a Dreamsicle. Does anyone else remember Dreamsicles? Also called Creamsicles if they were made from real ice cream instead of ice milk. They looked like this:

5zsj4pkvbz69.png

:)

Happy Tuesday from the frozen wastelands of the Arkansas River Valley...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,813 Member

Speaking of which, just got the yogurt into individual jars, need to go buzz up my morning smoothie, which is lactose free yogurt and mandarin oranges at the moment - with a little bit of sweetener, tastes a bit like a Dreamsicle. Does anyone else remember Dreamsicles? Also called Creamsicles if they were made from real ice cream instead of ice milk. They looked like this:

5zsj4pkvbz69.png

:)

Happy Tuesday from the frozen wastelands of the Arkansas River Valley...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa

I eat something like those just about every evening. :)

M in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    My ex used to say that we split the housework 50/50 then I hired my half out. Lol!

Actually I did things he didn't see or didn't count. Eventually I got tired of his gaslighting.

Looks like I can drive today! The ice is gone. I need to pick up a prescription.

Hope today is a better diet day. I'm not off to a great start. I slid off my IF window and my appetite came right back.

Have a great day!
    Annie in Delaware
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,034 Member
    Heather: We are planning to have some 🥞 🥞 🥞 late afternoon. Lemon drizzle is our favourite flavour, too. 😂

Two people don’t create that much housework. We tend to share jobs. DH does kitchen each morning and I do the ‘refining’. He mostly takes care of the dishwasher. He does downstairs vacuuming, I do upstairs. He does the washing machine, I fold clothes and put away. He does downstairs shower room, I do upstairs master bathroom. We share catering duties, gardening etc. Works for us.

Every now and then I get the nesting bug and blitz a room. It’s amazing what you rediscover doing that. 😂
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :) With all my walking this fall and winter, my shoes have begun to spring some leaks so my first job this morning (after walking dogs and fixing their breakfast) was to order new shoes. It was so kind of Amazon to have them at the top of the "suggestions" so I could click on the picture of the shoes, order them again, and have assurance that they would arrive by Saturday.

:) When we started RVing in 2005 we found some videos and pamphlets about RVing by a couple who talked about "pink" chores and "blue" chores which turned out to be--he does the outside stuff and she does the inside stuff. In an RV, the chores are somewhat even between indoor and outdoor.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Heather - I like things in order too, and right now it's difficult. My husband finds me crazy at times too.

Kate - I should suggest the headphones to Rodger, this is starting to become an issue for us. Some nights I can hear his show in the bedroom over mine in the living room.

Lisa - I remember those. I should mention your smoothie to Rodger, he has decided to make smoothies for his lunches.

Annie - I love how you hired your 50% out. Sorry you were gaslighted, I had a friend in that situation it ruined her.

Barbara - LOL @ "nobody dusts"

Barbie - Sometimes Amazon actually makes good suggestions.

Pip - What a great deal to get a gas fireplace. I would love to have a fireplace.

It is currently -23 and supposed to go up to -14 this afternoon, by this Saturday it is supposed to be +1. We're not out of the woods yet we still have March and probably part of April to get through.

Well off to do some work before I have to go to physio.
    Tracey in Edmonton

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Heather - I like things in order too, and right now it's difficult. My husband finds me crazy at times too.

Kate - I should suggest the headphones to Rodger, this is starting to become an issue for us. Some nights I can hear his show in the bedroom over mine in the living room.

Lisa - I remember those. I should mention your smoothie to Rodger, he has decided to make smoothies for his lunches.

Annie - I love how you hired your 50% out. Sorry you were gaslighted, I had a friend in that situation it ruined her.

Barbara - LOL @ "nobody dusts"

Barbie - Sometimes Amazon actually makes good suggestions.

Pip - What a great deal to get a gas fireplace. I would love to have a fireplace.

It is currently -23 and supposed to go up to -14 this afternoon, by this Saturday it is supposed to be +1. We're not out of the woods yet we still have March and probably part of April to get through.

Well off to do some work before I have to go to physio.
    Tracey in Edmonton

These are what we use
    crm3wuakb5ph.jpeg

Kate

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,631 Member
    B)
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,780 Member
    Good moring from -17 below Grand Island, Nebraska. Starting tomorrow it is to be in the teens. Yesterday we had no cold water in the kitchen, DH got it working about 10 last night, but was strange as had hot water and water everywhere else in the house. I am so looking forward to spring.

Tracey-- I have 3 heriated disks in my back and at one point I could not walk more then a couple steps. I went to a back surgeon and he said to wait and the out side of my leg was numb to touch. DH talked me into trying the chiropractor as I was so scared he would break my back or neck, turned out to be the best thing I could of done. Within a month he had me walking and feeling back in my leg. Usually I go once a month and do fine, but with the shut down it has been hard to get an appointment. I am hoping once this gets fixed I can get back to regular appointments. Lucky as our insurance will pay for 30 chiropractor visits a year. Back and leg are some better today. Had some traction yesterday and will go back Wednesday and Friday for more. Have to practice sitting up straight at work. I try to when I remember, but then next thing I know I am bending over the desk.

Don't apologize for posting pictures. I love seeing others pictures. Gives me a look at others lives and then I don't feel so a lone.

Allie--Please take care of you and don't worry about keeping up or anything besides rest. We will still be here when you are better.

Barbara-I am glad that is behind me and I gave up drinking completely 15 years ago this April.

Blessings, Vicki GI NE <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Lisa: I liked dreamsicles as a girl. I haven’t seen them in years. They are a very good memory. :star:

Pip: We have a natural gas fireplace and enjoy it. We had to have many of the parts changed because they’d gotten old and didn’t work anymore. We found a local business that did a great job for us. We have been very happy with the change. In our case, if the power goes out, so does the fireplace. In our good news, we very rarely have aa glitch in electricity. The power lines in our neighborhood are under ground. :smiley:

I love our neighborhood. Neighbors shoveled the snow off of our sidewalk yesterday, just out of the goodness of their hearts.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,798 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) With all my walking this fall and winter, my shoes have begun to spring some leaks so my first job this morning (after walking dogs and fixing their breakfast) was to order new shoes. It was so kind of Amazon to have them at the top of the "suggestions" so I could click on the picture of the shoes, order them again, and have assurance that they would arrive by Saturday.

:) When we started RVing in 2005 we found some videos and pamphlets about RVing by a couple who talked about "pink" chores and "blue" chores which turned out to be--he does the outside stuff and she does the inside stuff. In an RV, the chores are somewhat even between indoor and outdoor.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Same here with chores! DH does like to cook but does most of it outside when it is above 30 degrees and not too windy!

We are having rolling blackouts here because of the cold. NM is not used to temps below 30 for more than a day. It’s been between 0 and 20 for 4 days now! Very rare! Also freezing rain last night and snowing today- all very rare—- but we really need the water. I just wish it wasn’t frozen! Lol

Headache today. But have to go to town.

Laters Ladies!

RvRita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Forgot to add that I am such a stickler about equal housework that we each make our own side of the bed in the morning. :o:o>:)
    In my first marriage in the early 70s my husband and I were featured in Homes And Gardens as an equal chore couple. That was before we had children, which somewhat screwed things up. But he still did a lot more than most men and was a very hands on dad. Things were better once I found a lovely cleaning lady who could babysit.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx