Less Alcohol - FEBRUARY 2021 - One Day At A Time

Replies

• lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 777 Member
    @globalhiker I do workout in the morning. Mostly M-F at the gym. Typical day will be push hard on elliptical 10-40 min depending on my mood, then hit the weights for 15-25 min (free weights with little break between exercises and sets) But overall I try to get 45 min total cardio with either elliptical, treadmill, stationary rowing in some combination. I am still at the same weight...before AF I would at least see a drop on Sat or Sun a rest day....but have not been that lucky this round. My calorie intake is between 1200-1500 (this would be a high day).....so grr at my crazy body
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,582 Member
    it was 25 years today my mom passed away of ALS. she'd just celebrated her 60th birthday. oddly enough, we were both diagnosed at 55. i will be 60 in november. i can't help but wonder ....

anyone here - have you had a parent die relatively young, and now you are also sick and wonder if you'll die at the same age they did?

i'm grateful i can't go to the liquor store. i'd be *kitten* bombed by now...
    Womona wrote: »
    it was 25 years today my mom passed away of ALS. she'd just celebrated her 60th birthday. oddly enough, we were both diagnosed at 55. i will be 60 in november. i can't help but wonder ....

anyone here - have you had a parent die relatively young, and now you are also sick and wonder if you'll die at the same age they did?

i'm grateful i can't go to the liquor store. i'd be *kitten* bombed by now...

Oh man, that must be so scary for you. I can only hope that treatments have improved in the last 25 years, giving you a a much longer time with less symptoms.

she had ALS. i have cancer. i wasn't clear...sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cancer is no picnic either.

My grandfather died suddenly at age 52. My father (his son) was convinced he was also going to die at 52, so never bothered to take care of his health. Lo and behold, he lived almost another 30 years with poor health. (Uncontrolled type 2 diabetes, emphysema).

I imagine fear of meeting our parent’s fate can push a person either into saying “screw it, I’m toast anyway” , or double down on maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I wish my dad did the latter.

But you facing the age you lost your mom still has to be pretty scary and fill you with questions and concerns. Big hugs to you!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,511 Member
    Day 17 AF here, day 9 AF for husband. It's week 3 for me and the insomnia is back so is the fussy tummy. Tried to fall asleep at 4am and was fighting thoughts of wanting to go to IHOP for a stack of pancakes with whipped cream and syrup (I haven't been to IHOP since I was like 8 years old!).

@lisamestiza2021 I am sorry for your loss. My mom died from cancer when I was a child. So all my life going to the doctor stirs up anxiety. She became sick in her 30s. I did not get it but at 53 was labeled by docs as high-risk, 60-75% chance. I go to a cancer hospital 2x a year since I am part of a high-risk group. They put me on chemoprevention (tamoxifen) which was horrific and I went off it. Now it's just me creating my destiny, so I want to stick to an anti-inflammatory diet, hitting the needed nutrient profile, lower stress lifestyle, exercise etc because I believe it and in it's powers to keep me as healthy as possible. I wish you well on your journey towards improved wellbeing and optimal health. BTW your picture looks amazing, I thought you were about 20 years younger really.