Rainbow Warriors: Getting Fit & Fabulous!

Options

Replies

• roisins_girl
    roisins_girl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Lesley and I are trying to get healthy. We've been on here a while but we fell off the band wagon. We're back again and ready to go. We'd love to meet others in the LGBT community! Send me a request!
  • Camppryor21
    Options
    Wow is it Thursday already? You know what that means... week 2 challenge starts today. ( Would of posted sooner but gotta work for a living :smile: )

Dialy Exercise for week 2:

1) One minute Step Touches- Stand with feet shoulder-width apat, Step to the left with your left foot then bring the right foot to meet it. Quickly step to the right with your right foot and bring the left to meet it.

2) Wall squats- hold up to a minute. Do this 2x.

3) Push-Ups- 2 sets of 10.

4) One minute Plank- Lie face down, rest on forearms with palms flat on the floor. Push off floor, so that your body is parallel to the floor, and raise up on your toes. The only body parts touching the floor should be toes and elbows. Keep back flat and stomach tightened.

Weekly Challenge:

1) 6 miles for the week.

2) Total of 1500 calories burned. keep track of your numbers warriors!!!

Have a great 2nd week!!!
    -Kayla
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I intend to post a new question after I get back from a birthday party, tonight (at which I will not be drinking or eating cake, or so that's the plan).
  • Rogue68
    Options
    Hi. I'm Rebecca, my partner and I joined MFP the other day and are thrilled to see a LGBT weight loss support forum. We are hoping to make new friends, please feel free to add me! I could use extra motivation and encouragement. Hopefully I will be able to locate this forum again once I click out of it, still learning the site! lol
  • coasternut2
    Options
    Hi, I'm Cheryl, Rebecca's partner. We're hoping to meet a good supportive group of folks on our way to health and fitness. Feel free to friend request me, looking to encourage and motivate, well as receive encouragement and motivation! We're all in this together!
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Richard, living in London, with my partner and rather doddery old dog. Would be great to have some friends on here so that I dont feel like the only gay in the village.

So feel free to invite me as a friend. Or indeed fix me up with a handsome man - I'm easy
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Don't think I properly introduced myself on here! Hi I'm Jack, living in Bristol originally from Kent. Am a queer transman, psychology student and rather geeky. It's nice that this thread has kept going :) Always welcome to having new friend so feel free to friend me.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people!
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Ok, guys, new question:

Do you allow room in your new lifestyle to indulge in junk food? Why or why not? Bonus question: if you still indulge, what's your number one junk food vice?

I allow a bit of room, but I try to go for slightly better stuff (like those peanut butter pies I made). I want to get healthy, but I still think there's room for good taste. That being said, when I get a craving, now, I tend to stop and think "how can I indulge this in a healthy way?", which is why I usually end up with a jar of peanut butter in one hand and dried apricots in the other. I'm a little addicted to those, now.

My number one vice, though, is chocolate. If anyone figures out a way to give that up without wanting to hurt people, let me kniw. Otherwise, it stays in the diet for good. I have at least managed to switch to all dark and only one or two pieces a day, at most.
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Actually I have heard a LOT of talk about how a VERY little bit of dark chocolate IS good for you. However, the peanut butter really isnt that great for you. It has a lot of sugar in it... EVEN natural peanut butter. :( I have trouble eating peanut butter (even though I love it SO much) because my girlfriend told me once that its what they give football players to bulk up. :( sad day. HOWEVER I don't know if you have ever seen it but I have a friend on facebook who posted this chart that had "when you crave this THIS healthy thing will satisfy the craving" and it wasnt like "i want junk food give me healthier junk food" it was "give me junk food give me veggies or drink water" kind of thing.

That being said. I love junk food. And in this world its VERY difficult especially on a tight budget to eat organic and raw and natural blah blah blah. If someone is "fat free" its filled with sodium. Even weight watchers meals are LOADED with sodium.

My sweet (said drug) of choice is ice pops. Mostly because they have no fat, and are loaded with sugary goodness. I still probably have one a day, or one every other day. The problem lies with junk though is if you give yourself a little bit you are going to generally want it a lot and a lot more often. I find this happening when I start eating fast food. I have it one day and I want it every day for every meal after. So... I know that I have to stay away from it or I am going to want it all the time.

Anyway sorry for random rant. :) Eat the chocolate thats all I am saying... just read the label find out what a serving size is and if possible eat half the serving size. And limit it to only a couple times a week tops. But don't cut it out completely or you will be miserable. :)
  • backwardslant
    backwardslant Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Ok, guys, new question:

Do you allow room in your new lifestyle to indulge in junk food? Why or why not? Bonus question: if you still indulge, what's your number one junk food vice?

I do allow wiggle room with what sounds good to me at any given moment. I've found that if I try to completely cut something out of my diet altogether, it's all I end up craving. Like robo, I do try to find healthier options for those junk food fixes. Fortunately, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and I actually really enjoy healthy foods the most. Probably my biggest vice is cheese. I'm a lacto-vegetarian (I don't eat any meat/fish or anything with eggs in it) which cuts out a lot of junk foods already, but cheese is my last remaining tie to the non-vegan world. :) I do try to keep it to a minimum, and only use really high quality stuff...but I can't quite seem to let it go. Oh well, I guess it that's my worst indulgence I'm not doing too horribly bad. Just have to keep an eye on it so I don't end up having too much. Although, I would love to live in a house made of cheese....
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Actually I have heard a LOT of talk about how a VERY little bit of dark chocolate IS good for you. However, the peanut butter really isnt that great for you. It has a lot of sugar in it... EVEN natural peanut butter. :( I have trouble eating peanut butter (even though I love it SO much) because my girlfriend told me once that its what they give football players to bulk up. :( sad day. HOWEVER I don't know if you have ever seen it but I have a friend on facebook who posted this chart that had "when you crave this THIS healthy thing will satisfy the craving" and it wasnt like "i want junk food give me healthier junk food" it was "give me junk food give me veggies or drink water" kind of thing.

That being said. I love junk food. And in this world its VERY difficult especially on a tight budget to eat organic and raw and natural blah blah blah. If someone is "fat free" its filled with sodium. Even weight watchers meals are LOADED with sodium.

My sweet (said drug) of choice is ice pops. Mostly because they have no fat, and are loaded with sugary goodness. I still probably have one a day, or one every other day. The problem lies with junk though is if you give yourself a little bit you are going to generally want it a lot and a lot more often. I find this happening when I start eating fast food. I have it one day and I want it every day for every meal after. So... I know that I have to stay away from it or I am going to want it all the time.

Anyway sorry for random rant. :) Eat the chocolate thats all I am saying... just read the label find out what a serving size is and if possible eat half the serving size. And limit it to only a couple times a week tops. But don't cut it out completely or you will be miserable. :)

M peanut butter only has 1g of sugar per serving. I sort of need it, too, to help me get all my protein. If you buy one that has just peanuts in the ingredient list, it's really not at all bad.

I don't even track my fat or sodium, anymore. I'm always under on sodium and usually right at fat. Pretty much all my sources are good fats, so I don't even worry about it.

I never eat a full serving of chocolate at once, anymore. Just a piece. I know some sources say that a small amount of dark per day is good for you, but I'm still always wary of the sugar content.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    Although, I would love to live in a house made of cheese....

DITTO.
  • richardholt2011
    Options
    When i was diagnosed with diabetes I said no to chocoloates and sweets (candy) and apart from a couple of wafer thin mints in restaurants i have stuck to it. Gone are those entire boxes of chocolates eaten one after the other. But i keep grazing the fridge and the fruit bowl - and last night i did have some granola bars that i found (justification - big stress over the dog's health)

I have promised myself that when i reach my target weight and so need to add a few calories to the daily routine i am going to reinstate cheese. At the moment its not allowed in the house
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    I have promised myself that when i reach my target weight and so need to add a few calories to the daily routine i am going to reinstate cheese. At the moment its not allowed in the house

I think cheese is what I miss the most.
  • richardholt2011
    Options
    I just think cheese is one of civilisation's great achievements along with bread and wine - so many hundreds of gorgeous varieties. so every week i will treat myself to a different cheese. But not for the next six months or so!
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Oh for the love of cheese!

Hi everyone,

I'm joining you all here. I've been reading through the topic (not all of it as it is really quite long - yay!), but enough to see that I really like this group. Lots of cool people who are really quite funny I must say.

In regards to this week's question, I certainly allow for wiggle room. I think I might go insane otherwise. Like many I choose healthy options a lot of the time now. I drastically changed my diet about 6 months ago. I eat almost exclusively wholefoods now, I am a BIG fan of organic super super dark chocolate. I also like almond butter (I'm not so much a fan of peanuts), dried fruit, especially bananas, and baked fruit with chocolate. I still occasionally indulge in my old favorites like hot chips just because I don't think it would be life otherwise, although I have to say I almost feel like I have lost most of these as I just don't get the same pleasure out of them as I used to, and sometimes I just end up feeling sick which is really quite the deterant. Sadly the same thing has happened for me with cheese (it was also almost the only thing keeping me from the Vegan world, bar a little ice-cream on the odd occasion), and now I find that I get a weird feeling in the back of my throat when I have cheese so I have sort of unwittingly fallen into this vegan vortex.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

Hi everyone,

I'm joining you all here. I've been reading through the topic (not all of it as it is really quite long - yay!), but enough to see that I really like this group. Lots of cool people who are really quite funny I must say.

In regards to this week's question, I certainly allow for wiggle room. I think I might go insane otherwise. Like many I choose healthy options a lot of the time now. I drastically changed my diet about 6 months ago. I eat almost exclusively wholefoods now, I am a BIG fan of organic super super dark chocolate. I also like almond butter (I'm not so much a fan of peanuts), dried fruit, especially bananas, and baked fruit with chocolate. I still occasionally indulge in my old favorites like hot chips just because I don't think it would be life otherwise, although I have to say I almost feel like I have lost most of these as I just don't get the same pleasure out of them as I used to, and sometimes I just end up feeling sick which is really quite the deterant. Sadly the same thing has happened for me with cheese (it was also almost the only thing keeping me from the Vegan world, bar a little ice-cream on the odd occasion), and now I find that I get a weird feeling in the back of my throat when I have cheese so I have sort of unwittingly fallen into this vegan vortex.

I can relate to all of this so much. I consume very little dairy, anymore, but I decided to get a latte the other day. Within a couple of hours, I thought I was going to die. It's definitely soy lattes only from now on.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Hi everyone,

I can relate to all of this so much. I consume very little dairy, anymore, but I decided to get a latte the other day. Within a couple of hours, I thought I was going to die. It's definitely soy lattes only from now on.

I hear you loud and clear!
    I made the mistake of having milk with a cup of tea at a friend's place a few months ago as she didn't have soy or almond or rice (what is wrong with some people? I mean really! ...but anyway...) and it was dreadful, I actually couldn't drink it for the taste, which was just as well as the small bit I did consume had my stomach churning. I've never had my tea black but I opted for that and found to my surprise that I quite like it. When I was at her place again this week I remembered and was quite happy with my black earl grey, ahhhh
  • tearose4
    tearose4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Yes, yes, absolutely! I have had my best success when allowing myself one day or one meal a week to eat anything my heart desires. And it's usually Pizza, potato chips, and sometimes wings.

Also -- hi, I am new to this forum and searching hard for "rainbow" friends!