Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    In fitness (especially strength training): more is better, or quantity over quality. I see this in terms of people doing every move possible when targeting a body part, and in adding more weight before they're really ready and their form taking a big hit.
    Absolutely. Especially with people who are ego lifters and do nothing but partial reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    In fitness (especially strength training): more is better, or quantity over quality. I see this in terms of people doing every move possible when targeting a body part, and in adding more weight before they're really ready and their form taking a big hit.
    Absolutely. Especially with people who are ego lifters and do nothing but partial reps.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yep, there's a guy at my gym who was banging out partial rep chin-ups like he was in a race for half-completed chin-ups, then did some barbell bicep curls by throwing the weight around like he was supposed to be working his back (and even legs) instead of his biceps. It was totally an ego thing, because the guy wasn't even all that big.