Less Alcohol - MARCH 2021

Options

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    lmlmrn wrote: »
    Hello to all
    Last night I made the decision to have a few drinks (5 oz to be precise). I have had such a hard time sleeping with the side effects of my medication. I did sleep well but the after effects of the alcohol are really unpleasant. I forgot was a hangover felt like LOL, this has to be a good thing.

So 5 out of 6 days in March AF, I am good with that.

@Womona I have spirilized zucchini and I found after you are finished if you put the noodles in between paper towels with a weight to help dry them out they cook fast and have more of a pasta 'bite'.

I’ll have to try this! I find they are too wet after cooking. This is brilliant!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Hello to all and thank for for continuing to share. My current goal is to be AF at home.

I have been AF at home (and elsewhere) since my last post. I am catching up with a couple of friends tomorrow after work, depending how I feel at the time it will be none or one glass of wine. Thursday night is pub choir, again a none or one glass of wine for me.

Coming up to a what may be a stresser or me. My mother passed in late year with advanced dementia. We are doing the final clean on her home and will be doing settlement of the sale of it. I will need to develop a few tactics between now than the next few days to make sure I don't end up at a bottle shop.

I'm not the expert here but what has saved me a few times while being AF is having "emergency" snacks and non-alcoholic drinks ready and allowing myself to indulge in those instead of alcohol. I know myself and my stress level in a situation as you would describe, for me it would be a highly stressful event so I would walk in there with a plan and toolkit of goodies. If you're there with another family member or friend who is on board with your game plan, that would help too.

Know you can do this. If your head tells you otherwise, talk back at it and say that yes, you can do this.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,622 Member
    Options
    Happy March!

I am continuing with my goals that I have mostly been following for a year:

16-20 AF days per month
    Don't drink 2 days in a row
    Try to keep 2 AF days in between drinks days

I choose the diary style so that I check in every day, keep myself accountable, and can see at a glance where I am at.

Monday March 01 - AF - Had to start the new month off with an AF day : - )
    Tuesday March 02 - AF - Needed to wait 6 minutes many many times, I really felt like having a couple of drinks tonight. I know that I (and my waistline) will be happy tomorrow that I resisted.
    Wednesday March 03 - AF - Early start for work tomorrow, so AF tonight. 4th AF day in a row.
    Thursday March 04 - Drinks. Busy busy day. I had lost my hearing aid on a hiking trail yesterday, so was having a pretty hard time of it today not being able to read lips whilst everyone was wearing masks. Replacement will take one week to get here. Finishing work for the day and for the week was so lovely. Relaxed with a few drinks.
    Friday March 05 - AF - Tomorrow will be a challenge since I am going to be with my bubble friend who drinks wine every day. Going to try really hard to get my 2AF days in a row though.
    Saturday March 06 - Drinks, 2. Already broke one of my own rules this early in the month. Willpower just gave out I guess.
    Sunday March 07 - AF - I will be again tomorrow.
    Monday March 08 - AF - Our 90+ people were able to make appointments today to schedule a vaccine. It will be quite awhile until they work their way down 5 years at a time. Keeping myself fit and healthy. Possible drinks tomorrow night.

Rolling total: 6AF days out of 8 days.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    3/1-3/7: Very bad, lots of drinks
    3/8: AF

I've had a couple of "normal person" days in a row that involve running errands, PT/walks, cooking dinner, doing small chores, getting a decent night of sleep, and doing it all without being in a lot of pain or feeling like I need a long rest. Went from the green to the blue bands in physical therapy today. It feels like surgery recovery just made a big leap, and that's a good feeling!

I'm driving 9 hours round trip to get my Covid vaccine tomorrow. A couple of Texas counties have opened up to everyone because they have way more vaccines than risk-group people. All of my friends and family have already gotten at least the first dose, most have gotten the second. Counting down 4 weeks from tomorrow to having dinner parties again!!

@globalhiker I do like the idea of delaying drinks until later in the evening. Having some sparkling water until the main course is served instead of being tipsy before appetizers reach the table seems smart.

@lmlmrn I'm doing way better :) a restful weekend, some healthy meals, a bit of exercise, and good sleep go a long way.