Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited March 2021
    sijomial wrote: »
    Source - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56440139

A review by the EU's medicines regulator has concluded the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine is "safe and effective".
    The European Medicines Agency (EMA) investigated after 13 EU states suspended use of the vaccine over fears of a link to blood clots.
    It found the jab was "not associated" with a higher risk of clots.

Still can't get my head around why so many EU states that are in a desperate situation of rising infection rates are so keen to suspend one of the key vaccines when no causal link was indicated.

Same here. I just don't get the pile on. A simple comparison of incidence rates between vaccine recipients & gen pop makes it almost impossible for the vaccine to be responsible, and that's without any sophisticated inquiry. And the start-then-stop, safe-questionable-safe messaging.... I just don't get it. Seems so harmful.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I'm not sure what you mean by "allow room for this conversation to happen." The conversation WAS happening. People responded to the inaccurate information with accurate information. Allowing a conversation to happen doesn't require validating fears that are not grounded in reality. In instances where there is no information to support a particular set of claims, that can and should be pointed out.

I don't think anyone is denying that anti-vax information isn't out there and it isn't causing some people to avoid medical treatments that will save lives. We obviously know it is out there and we know that people are being harmed by it. It's obvious that people are being told stuff like this.

I just skimmed the thread and from the replies I thought Kermit was telling people to not get the vaccine.

She was suggesting it was not safe or that people who might otherwise get the vaccine should be concerned that it is unsafe: "It seems unrealistic for scientists to suggest that the COVID-19 vaccine is safe for women longterm when we haven't even seen it run its course for a year yet."

Also, the "just asking question" thing is a very common approach to anti vax arguments, as is the "these other people say" or "experts claim" (with no legitimate supporting evidence provided) or the like, and those were all present.

I am curious about who these AU researchers are, as that seems somewhat specific. Not that I really care. My own problem is that I would like to get vaccinated and probably won't even have the opportunity for some time. If people are trying to push the vaccine on Kermit, she can give hers to me (yes, I know that's not possible).

IMO, someone who is telling others that "many" unnamed experts are recommending a certain course of action is going beyond "just asking questions."

This is true too.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I am curious, how do you convince someone who refuses to get the vaccine, because they believe “it really isn’t a vaccine”? Not me, I am fully vaccinated.
This discussion has been closed.