Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

COVID19 - To Vaccinate or To Not Vaccinate

Options

Replies

• fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    Very good information in this thread, wholesome and elaborate. I've addressed questions and concerns about the vaccine with my doctor, and he's been very transparent and genuine in giving me the latest and most accurate information as it relates to what to expect if I chose to get vaccinated. I've also done a bit of my own research around COVID-19 and the latest advancements and research with the vaccine, and quite frankly it's still ongoing. A lot of what I'm learning is favorable toward getting vaccinated, however, the research I've done in collaboration with consulting a medical expert does not have me completed ready to pull the trigger just yet....referencing additional research, articles, and trials will certainly help my decision when I'm ready, but it will not overturn my apprehensiveness.... because to date, it can not objectively prove what my "unique" reaction to being vaccinated would be.

It's not from a misguided sense of self righteousness, arrogance, or disregard for myself or other's safety. I'm not in the science or medical field, which is why I am taking the initiative to further educate myself in an effort to make a sound decision for myself that is the best fit according to what I've learned. I am not comfortable yet, and will continue to stay open minded as more relevant information is inevitably discovered.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    The official recomendation in Australia - not from Facebook and the like but the official recomendation - is that we will not be routinely vaccinating or promoting the Covid vaccine, for pregnant women.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    an interesting dive into vaccine efficacy

https://youtu.be/K3odScka55A
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I think there are multiple camps on this issue. You have the pro vaccination group, the I am not going to get it because.. group, and the anti vaccination because it will kill you group. I agree with Kimny, I am also surprised that the US #s have dropped so rapidly, and I don't think it is possible that it is attributable to the vaccine but if a single dose gives some immunity or less severe cases perhaps it is? We did start this process in Dec.

The thing is, our case numbers dropped from the holiday spike, but they are still high. They just seem low because of what we just got through. We're at the levels we were last summer now, and still higher than we were in the fall!

YES! Our daily death rate in the US has dropped about 75% from the peak in January. To around 1000 people a day. It boggles my mind how people think it’s OK to throw caution to the wind and end the virus transmission mitigation strategies with the variants and only about 15% of the adult population vaccinated. It’s 1000 people too many when we can employ techniques to lessen the rate of infection.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Vaccines can't stop the spread until they reach a herd immunity level...at this point my state is only about 11% vaccinated, it's not enough to stop the spread...not even enough to considerably slow it...but as the percentage of population vaccinated increases, it will slow and then stop the spread of covid, it's just going to take a while getting to that point.

We're already seeing things get better - less spread.

At some point, long before we reach 80% innoculated for herd immunity, it will be getting rarer, and easier to track. If we're smart about contact tracing we'll be able to switch from mass vaccination to ring vaccination. We don't actually have to get to 80%.

Until spring break ends and they all head home on planes ...
    https://apple.news/ADq4se6vXSEm8nIjl8zQ6zQ

Things are not looking good in parts of Florida and South Texas with spring break revelers. 😞
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Vaccines can't stop the spread until they reach a herd immunity level...at this point my state is only about 11% vaccinated, it's not enough to stop the spread...not even enough to considerably slow it...but as the percentage of population vaccinated increases, it will slow and then stop the spread of covid, it's just going to take a while getting to that point.

We're already seeing things get better - less spread.

At some point, long before we reach 80% innoculated for herd immunity, it will be getting rarer, and easier to track. If we're smart about contact tracing we'll be able to switch from mass vaccination to ring vaccination. We don't actually have to get to 80%.

Until spring break ends and they all head home on planes ...
    https://apple.news/ADq4se6vXSEm8nIjl8zQ6zQ

Things are not looking good in parts of Florida and South Texas with spring break revelers. 😞

I'm sure it's not a fair comparison, but SARS1 and Ebola both made it to North America and Europe, and at least in part because people reacted without too much stupidity, those didn't become pandemic. When we started hearing about this strange pneumonia in China, I thought the same thing was going to happen, public health institutions would save us.

So, in terms of what's ahead, there's what could be done, and what's going to happen. ☹️
  • fitnessguy266
    fitnessguy266 Posts: 150 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    because to date, it can not objectively prove what my "unique" reaction to being vaccinated would be.

Well, yes, that is true - one cannot always predict who will have a reaction - but that goes for Covid disease too - we cannot objectively prove what your unique reaction to that would be nor always predict who will be more severely affected, or die, from it.

Risk of the disease has to be weighed up against risk of the vaccine.

Agreed :) I hoped that my post alluded to my understanding of that.
This discussion has been closed.