Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Its what we hear here, the risks of Covid outweigh the risk of vaccination. BBC4 radio, Inside Health, this week were answering questions on the virus and vaccination. They were saying in general younger folks have stronger reactions on vaccination, to the vaccine than older persons. In the first couple of days its the body realising its encountered something different then it changes to the body producing antibodies at about 4 days.

With regard to the Oxford/AstraZeneca, the clotting issue is infrequent but anyone suffering headaches of longer duration they should make contact with their doctors for assistance.

I appreciate the caution, but every vaccination has a small degree of adverse reaction; this is known. It would be more helpful to discern potential predispositions than stop the process altogether.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    trying to recall from the programme. It was the AstraZeneca, it uses more or a different part of the virus than the later generation technology Pfizer vaccine. Work is going on into why the clot happen, it is also seen in some but not all who have the virus. Naturally research is going on into why, what it is about the virus which causes this to happen in the hospitalised persons. Information gained from these persons will be if it is not already be turned towards those who are having headaches as well as other symptoms in the AstraZeneca vaccinated population. Science is not resting on its laurels nor has it been which is why we have the opportunity of vaccinations after all.

From what I remember the AZ vaccine was well tested in communities with high rates of infections as part of the research into its reliability and for all those thousands tested, I don't think they found this reaction because its so rare.

I well understand the, there are risks with all vaccines, I'm glad they no longer use mercury as the preservative as they did in the 1950's when I had my childhood vaccines. The preservatives can cause issues, few of us have reactions to paraben and related natural things put into foods and medications as preservatives but the idea of it being used was enough to put me off having the flu vaccine. (Liquid Levothyroxine, the brand I was prescribed uses Paraben, it made me ill and look for alternatives) Those who have known allergies have been advised to avoid the vaccine after two persons in the first week possibly day of the schedule became ill, both recovered.

I did not have the flu vaccine last autumn, unless the preservative methods change, I'll not have it this year either. I've not taken advantage of the vaccine to cover shingles because I could not identify the preservative used in it. When I asked about the preservative in this years flue vaccine our practice used I was given the information sheet so I could see for myself. I have had the first Pfizer, my second is due mid April because its become the UK system to wait up to 12 weeks. I given my age and responsibilities to my family decided to bite the bullet and have what ever was on offer. My understanding is the method of preserving this one is freezing and they are thawed on the day of use so for me there are no preservative issues. I've just looked up, the AZ also has no preservative in it either, it too is preserved low temperature but not as low as the Pfizer, so it would have been ok for me too. AZ because of its ability to be stored in regular freezers and fridges makes it more appropriate to countries where the deeper freezing are less widely available.

My daughter had hers on Friday evening. It was the AstraZeneca, I advised her to monitor her symptoms and heaven forbid she were to have headaches to contact UK's 111 for assistance. Fortunately all has been well this far. Mind you, having been asked before having the vaccination, had I had any other vaccination with in a week, IF I had felt really unwell in any way shape or form I would have contacted 111 or my doctors practice I'd not have needed to be advised to.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    Those who have known allergies have been advised to avoid the vaccine after two persons in the first week possibly day of the schedule became ill, both recovered./quote]

Could I ask where this advice has been given please?

Is Not the case here in Australia - people who have had anaphylactic reactions to anything have been advised to wait additional 15 minutes after vaccination - but not to avoid the vaccine

And that is only for anaphylactic reactions not just known allergies ( most peoples allergic reaction to whatever allergen won't be as extreme as anaphylaxis, of course)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Paper pudding, if your quote relates to my post above, I'm in the UK and it was a BBC Radio 4 programme "Inside Health", in the last week. I was addressing the comment by oocdc2, the post they responded to is at the top of this page.

Hope you are keeping well.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,983 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Paper pudding, if your quote relates to my post above, I'm in the UK and it was a BBC Radio 4 programme "Inside Health", in the last week. I was addressing the comment by oocdc2, the post they responded to is at the top of this page.

Hope you are keeping well.

sorry, I mucked up the quoting thing a bit in my last post.

Yes was just in response to sentence I quoted and curious as to where that is the official advice (it is the official advice, not just someone's opinion on a radios show?) since it is quite different to the official advice here.