Losing weight but some parts do not change ?

Siia993
Siia993 Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
New person here :)

Late October 2019 I started my journey and I have lost weight. however my problem is that some parts (specially my Stomach and thighs/hips) did not change!! I mean they reduced in size but fat is there, for example above my navel is lots of fat, it still holds the same Shape. I have put specific workout routine for belly and thighs in addition to treadmill. I have change the workout in case my body have adopted but still same problem only shrinking in size but the shape is the same fats are just hanging.

last time I checked my height is around 163-164 cm and my weight now is 67.7 kg and since last September my weight loss rate is sooooooo Slow (less than one kg in month and sometimes even less), I thought when I enter the 60s I would look different but honestly I kinda disappointed of my body shape. :/

any tips!

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited March 2021
    I am 35lbs down from start.

It has taken until THE PAST WEEK and last 2lbs to see any real difference in my torso (stomach, boobs, back). It's only now is it changing much. It got floppier and loser, yes, but not really any major change.

And it doesn't matter how much weight I lose my basic shape isn't going to change. My stomach will always be what holds the fat reserve. It'd be nice if I could move that around to give myself real hips and a butt, but THAT isn't going to happen. (Can build some glutes though, maybe.)
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    As others have mentioned, we unfortunately cannot target specific areas of our body for weight loss. A large determinate of where you lose fat first is your genetics.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    At that height and current weight you’re still just tipping into the overweight classification by BMI.

You may well find that as you get closer to the middle of the healthy BMI range you’ll see some more change. Many people tend to lose in an ‘outside in’ pattern. Meaning they lose from their extremities first and the centre core is the last to shift.

Stay strong, keep at it!
  • Siia993
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    There is no exercise you can do that will spot reduce fat in a certain area...it's just not possible and not how fat oxidation works. Most people who aren't happy with their body composition are lacking muscle mass...need to hit the weight room or otherwise start incorporating resistance training for your whole body, not just your problem areas.

It has taken until THE PAST WEEK and last 2lbs to see any real difference in my torso (stomach, boobs, back). It's only now is it changing much. It got floppier and loser, yes, but not really any major change.

And it doesn't matter how much weight I lose my basic shape isn't going to change. My stomach will always be what holds the fat reserve. It'd be nice if I could move that around to give myself real hips and a butt, but THAT isn't going to happen. (Can build some glutes though, maybe.)
    As others have mentioned, we unfortunately cannot target specific areas of our body for weight loss. A large determinate of where you lose fat first is your genetics.

I do know I cannot target specific parts but I meant that I try to move all my body parts but I thought that at least I would see some changes, since all gyms are closed I only half pairs of dumbbells 2kg and 4kg and try to work with them its kinda discouraging to lose that much but nothing change just saying :/
  • Siia993
    At that height and current weight you’re still just tipping into the overweight classification by BMI.

You may well find that as you get closer to the middle of the healthy BMI range you’ll see some more change. Many people tend to lose in an ‘outside in’ pattern. Meaning they lose from their extremities first and the centre core is the last to shift.

Stay strong, keep at it!

yes according to my BMI im overweight and my goal is to reach 55kg but at this losing rate it will take forever -_-
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Siia993 wrote: »
    There is no exercise you can do that will spot reduce fat in a certain area...it's just not possible and not how fat oxidation works. Most people who aren't happy with their body composition are lacking muscle mass...need to hit the weight room or otherwise start incorporating resistance training for your whole body, not just your problem areas.

I do know I cannot target specific parts but I meant that I try to move all my body parts but I thought that at least I would see some changes, since all gyms are closed I only half pairs of dumbbells 2kg and 4kg and try to work with them its kinda discouraging to lose that much but nothing change just saying :/

Yep it's harder with very limited equipment but bodyweight exercises can be very effective. That gives you a 67.7kg weight to work with.

"Shrinking in size" is change. Keep on keeping on and try to be patient - the last few pounds are far more noticeable than the first few (or even the first lots).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

If you've shrunk, you've changed. It just means you need to keep going. And yes...it's a slow process...but maintaining whatever where ever you end up is even slower...as in, nothing happens and it's not at all exciting...so just embrace it all and embrace becoming a healthier person. Everything else falls into place.

The midsection is often primary fat stores. Primary fat stores are a first on, last off proposition. I put on 20 Lbs in 2020 with COVID and everything else...it all goes to my belly. I'm down 10 of those Lbs right now and I've shrunk, but I still have a belly which is annoying...but I also know from experience that these last 10 Lbs will be huge in regards to changes in my midsection. So just gotta keep going.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member

Stay strong, keep at it!

yes according to my BMI im overweight and my goal is to reach 55kg but at this losing rate it will take forever -_-

Oh! Trust me, I fully 100% totally understand! (And the tautology is deliberate to stress how much I get the frustration!)

I’m 4 inches shorter than you and started at exactly the weight you are now. It has taken me since July 2019 to get to within 3lbs of my initial target weight. I’m currently 118lbs and fully expect it’ll be July 2021 before I lose that last 3lbs. I also fully expect that when I do get there I’ll decide another 5-10lbs are necessary to lose the last bits from my stomach. 🤷‍♀️ So that’ll be at least another year! 😂
  • jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    The body is like that sometimes... I keep all of my weight in my hips and butt, so you'd think that would be where I would lose since there's so much of it there, right? Nope, 9 times out of 10 when I do measurements the number going down is my chest! Thanks, body. :#

You said that your stomach has been reducing in size and just not shape. If you've lost a significant amount of weight it's possible that you may have loose skin making you appear fuller in that area than you are. Another possibility is that since you're losing slowly and gradually, you're just not noticing the subtle changes to your shape as much!

I know it's easy to get discouraged when you feel like you should look better than you do after all the hard work you put in. Just remember that you're in the middle of the process and your body is still changing.

And yes, it will take time to reach your goals. They say the last few pounds take the longest to lose, so don't be too hard on yourself. Just keep going, you've done a good job committing to it so far, and you'll get there!
  • Siia993
    sijomial wrote: »

Yep it's harder with very limited equipment but bodyweight exercises can be very effective. That gives you a 67.7kg weight to work with.

"Shrinking in size" is change. Keep on keeping on and try to be patient - the last few pounds are far more noticeable than the first few (or even the first lots).

so what kind of exercise you suggest? even with equipments, at least I take notes until gyms are open again
  • Siia993

If you've shrunk, you've changed. It just means you need to keep going. And yes...it's a slow process...but maintaining whatever where ever you end up is even slower...as in, nothing happens and it's not at all exciting...so just embrace it all and embrace becoming a healthier person. Everything else falls into place.

The midsection is often primary fat stores. Primary fat stores are a first on, last off proposition. I put on 20 Lbs in 2020 with COVID and everything else...it all goes to my belly. I'm down 10 of those Lbs right now and I've shrunk, but I still have a belly which is annoying...but I also know from experience that these last 10 Lbs will be huge in regards to changes in my midsection. So just gotta keep going.

I am more as a Pear shape most of my fats stored in my hips then the second part is my belly
  • Siia993

Stay strong, keep at it!

Oh! Trust me, I fully 100% totally understand! (And the tautology is deliberate to stress how much I get the frustration!)

I’m 4 inches shorter than you and started at exactly the weight you are now. It has taken me since July 2019 to get to within 3lbs of my initial target weight. I’m currently 118lbs and fully expect it’ll be July 2021 before I lose that last 3lbs. I also fully expect that when I do get there I’ll decide another 5-10lbs are necessary to lose the last bits from my stomach. 🤷‍♀️ So that’ll be at least another year! 😂

thank you for your empathy 😭 yeah I did not think it would take me years to reach my goal. 118 lbs is around 53 kg right!! and what happened, did not your body changed even with this low number? I got a doctor tell me that If I wanna see my self skinny I should be in 40s kg according to my height and I was really shocked so 55 kg is my second goal.

yeah I thought that when I will reach the 60s I will see a huge improvements but then I decided to lose more -_-
  • Siia993
    The body is like that sometimes... I keep all of my weight in my hips and butt, so you'd think that would be where I would lose since there's so much of it there, right? Nope, 9 times out of 10 when I do measurements the number going down is my chest! Thanks, body. :#

You said that your stomach has been reducing in size and just not shape. If you've lost a significant amount of weight it's possible that you may have loose skin making you appear fuller in that area than you are. Another possibility is that since you're losing slowly and gradually, you're just not noticing the subtle changes to your shape as much!

I know it's easy to get discouraged when you feel like you should look better than you do after all the hard work you put in. Just remember that you're in the middle of the process and your body is still changing.

And yes, it will take time to reach your goals. They say the last few pounds take the longest to lose, so don't be too hard on yourself. Just keep going, you've done a good job committing to it so far, and you'll get there!

we always lose measurements in places we don't want. is not loose skin become saggy?

yeah last few pounds take a long of time HOWEVER, im still far from my goal to be called few pounds so I should not be losing this slow
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

so what kind of exercise you suggest? even with equipments, at least I take notes until gyms are open again

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Link is from the sticky posts pinned to the top of the fitness forum.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    It takes a long time to get rid of all the fat! I don´t know your body fat % but I´m around your height (163) and was 71 kgs in Feb 2020 and am now down to 55 kgs. My body fat was really high before but it was all over my body, and now I´ve lost loads (down to 25% form 39% at the start).

I can see that the main areas of fat loss are my chest, ribs and waist area, also my thighs are a lot smaller, hips and everywhere else too, but I´m now carrying most of my fat on my bum, thighs, lower belly and upper arms. These were always my problem areas I guess you could say, but now with barely any fat on in the other areas its more noticeable than ever I think.

I originally thought I´d be happy at this weight but now I realise I need to strip off a bit more fat before I see an improvement in those areas and will most likely be around 51 or 52 kilos when I´m finished. I am very small framed so this would be considered a completely normal weight for my size.

I know that exercise can help your muscles look more defined, and I do weight training, Yoga etc. but fat loss is the only way to get rid of any wobble!

• JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member

Stay strong, keep at it!

thank you for your empathy 😭 yeah I did not think it would take me years to reach my goal. 118 lbs is around 53 kg right!! and what happened, did not your body changed even with this low number? I got a doctor tell me that If I wanna see my self skinny I should be in 40s kg according to my height and I was really shocked so 55 kg is my second goal.

yeah I thought that when I will reach the 60s I will see a huge improvements but then I decided to lose more -_-

Your doctor is right! I´m your height too and am currently 55kgs and believe me I´m nowhere near done with my weight loss journey. It´s going to be a slow process getting the last few kgs off, but I am determined to stip off the excess fat I´m still visibly carrying. Body fat % plays a large part in this so maybe find out what yours is. I¨m at 25% now but want to get down to just over 20% if I can ideally.

I looked at a few online calculators and for my frame size (small) I should be around 49 kgs which surprised me, so I think I´ll be happy at just over 50. Let´s see!

• Siia993
    JAT74 wrote: »
    It takes a long time to get rid of all the fat! I don´t know your body fat % but I´m around your height (163) and was 71 kgs in Feb 2020 and am now down to 55 kgs. My body fat was really high before but it was all over my body, and now I´ve lost loads (down to 25% form 39% at the start).

I can see that the main areas of fat loss are my chest, ribs and waist area, also my thighs are a lot smaller, hips and everywhere else too, but I´m now carrying most of my fat on my bum, thighs, lower belly and upper arms. These were always my problem areas I guess you could say, but now with barely any fat on in the other areas its more noticeable than ever I think.

I originally thought I´d be happy at this weight but now I realise I need to strip off a bit more fat before I see an improvement in those areas and will most likely be around 51 or 52 kilos when I´m finished. I am very small framed so this would be considered a completely normal weight for my size.

I know that exercise can help your muscles look more defined, and I do weight training, Yoga etc. but fat loss is the only way to get rid of any wobble!
    JAT74 wrote: »

Stay strong, keep at it!

Your doctor is right! I´m your height too and am currently 55kgs and believe me I´m nowhere near done with my weight loss journey. It´s going to be a slow process getting the last few kgs off, but I am determined to stip off the excess fat I´m still visibly carrying. Body fat % plays a large part in this so maybe find out what yours is. I¨m at 25% now but want to get down to just over 20% if I can ideally.

I looked at a few online calculators and for my frame size (small) I should be around 49 kgs which surprised me, so I think I´ll be happy at just over 50. Let´s see!

I don't have a scale that calculates my body fat percentage so I don't know but if I need to be 49 kg I need to lose 20 kg more 😭😭😭😭😭and god knows how many years it will take.
  • Pickcupcakes
    Pickcupcakes Posts: 9 Member
    At 163cm 49kg would be underweight