GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    rcl6 wrote: »
    z8g3vvwke22b.gif
    New Hack Squat!

YESSSSSSS! LOVE IT! Looking strong AF, R!!
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    z8g3vvwke22b.gif
    New Hack Squat!

Lucky!!!! I wish I had one of these! My gym doesn’t even have one, I have to travel to get access to one and it’s my favorite machine!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    1 month out as of today 😰. My presses are still my weakest event by far. I have to add 20 lbs to the log and 10 to the circus dumbbell and do them both along with a 100lb Axle press in less than 60 seconds 😅 nbd, not stressed at all.

Also, thankful GIF’s don’t have sound, this way I can spare you all the dying animal sounds I make when lifting heavy😖 Can’t hide that struggle face tho 😂

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863c3ea7e93675fe126a64104bda8e6eaaee0b846c&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

giphy.gif?cid=5e2148863c3ea7e93675fe126a64104bda8e6eaaee0b846c&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I adore you! You're gonna get it, Jenna! I can't wait to see it!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    zk12gq7jaymw.jpeg

Last August 2020 my 1 rep max PR for DLs was 225 LBS. I had hopes to advance further than that but was not sure if I could progress that far. Today I am so excited picture above is 245 LBS max!! I'm so excited how strong I have progressed since then!!

Great job!!!! Once you get past 200 it feels like progress is at a crawl right? 🤣🤣🤣 at least it does for me 🙄🤣

It was funny because when I got to 225 I was nervous thinking about how hard it was last year. Then I pumped them out like nothing so I was like OH WOW OK maybe I can go further!!😆
  • ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,182 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    Got something in. Kind of winging tonight. Tried box squats for the first time (but went low weight because of my knee)

Did ohp... Still stuck at 70lb, but there is a little tiny vein in my shoulder that is flirting with me. Haha and I love that!

p0kv5t6q94ks.gif

OHP is my worst lift, by a lot. Always proud of people who keep grinding at making it better. Have you got any partial plates? Might be a good place to have some 1lb donuts when 5lb jumps are too steep.

No... The smallest I have are 2.5s. I keep looking but don't see any in store and online is ridiculous. I was thinking of maybe looking at ankle weights or something.

Chain from the hardware store, washers, and baseball bat weights might be options to consider as well.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Another 5 am workout.... my shoulder is killing me from last night, so I did all light weight, a ton of reps. My coach suggested a cortisone shot for the meet, but not sure. I don’t even like taking Advil, so my instinct is not a chance, do any of you have experience with this?

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488611793361ea094455cf6a8134f70e85eec8fb0574&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Another 5 am workout.... my shoulder is killing me from last night, so I did all light weight, a ton of reps. My coach suggested a cortisone shot for the meet, but not sure. I don’t even like taking Advil, so my instinct is not a chance, do any of you have experience with this?

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488611793361ea094455cf6a8134f70e85eec8fb0574&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

The shot will get you through the competition. However, it is a temporary relief and you could injury your shoulder more. I would say get the shot if you are in a lot of pain but exercise caution not to over work the shoulder. If you don't use KT tape, it's work a try. I would also suggest Tiger Balm; honestly it's a staple in my gym bag.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member

Unfortunately, yes. Feel free to message me if you want or ask anything you want here - I've had a number of shoulder injuries - surgery/pt/rehab, etc.

As to the cortisone injections,from what I can tell, their success seems dependent on the person's body chemistry (how medicines work or don't for different people), the root cause injury and perhaps the talent of the injector though this likely is not as big of a factor anymore thanks to medical technology. Limited data I have as an example - my dad and I have both gotten multiple shots in multiple areas without any relief, any time (more than 10 because insurance makes us do them before they will progress to the next step). I have other relatives where they gave relief for years.

If you want to know more about the actual procedure of the shots, my shoulder shots were years ago but I have had two back shots within the last two months. Again ask me anything.

One thing I would ask you to consider doing. Stand in a mirror and move each arm/shoulder one at a time. Raise your good arm over your head going out from the side and from the front, then do the same with your inured shoulder/arm. Try and note when you have pain and if your body is cheating to raise the arm. With my torn labrum, the only way i could raise my arm was by altering the actual way I completed the act. I didn't even realize i had modified it until my PT showed me in a mirror like this.
  • stljam
    Also... Pullups. Still no big breakthrough. But not quitting!

rwr9zan0q8cd.gif

So sticking with the new band position? You'll get it.
  • stljam
    Chain from the hardware store, washers, and baseball bat weights might be options to consider as well.

Can I message you regarding your back rehab/injury? I have some questions about my current situation and was wondering if you had any experience or could share what helped you?

• stljam
    z8g3vvwke22b.gif
    New Hack Squat!

Great job and that looks like a fun machine.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member

Everyone reacts differently to Cortisone shots. Depending on the pain level/tolerance sometimes they don't even touch the pain. I've done it once and I did not care for it. It wasn't for a competition, it was just for some shoulder pain as a course of treatment from the doctor as dictated by the insurance company, but I'm also not one for pain killers beyond the occasional ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

In high school there was a kid on our baseball team that got a Cortisone shot so he could pitch. Ended up destroying his arm. I to this day still struggle to believe a doctor would give this to him if he knew he was going to pitch. I'm guessing the doctor didn't know because it was a smaller town and stuff like that will ruin your practice. I will tell you that without it he wouldn't have pitched, and would more than likely have gone on to have at least a scholarship for baseball.

Personally I would suggest trying other things like the KT Tape, Tiger Balm/Icy Hot etc. to see where and how you feel using that. Not as strong and worth testing. Just be careful if you do decide to and know your limits because one competition isn't worth a lifelong injury.

• ___Soundwave___
    ___Soundwave___ Posts: 1,182 Member
    stljam wrote: »

Can I message you regarding your back rehab/injury? I have some questions about my current situation and was wondering if you had any experience or could share what helped you?

Sure, I'll be happy to share what my experience was like in case it can help you at all. I'll be back on later this evening.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member

I can't speak to cortisone shots but would give KT tape a shot like GymGoddess suggested. It wreaks of pseudoscience but I've used it for nagging shoulder, knee, and ankle issues in the past with surprising success. Depending on the type of pain you're dealing with there may be different ways to apply it. The youtube instructional videos are pretty good in getting the tape applied the right way.
  • steveko89

I can't speak to cortisone shots but would give KT tape a shot like GymGoddess suggested. It wreaks of pseudoscience but I've used it for nagging shoulder, knee, and ankle issues in the past with surprising success. Depending on the type of pain you're dealing with there may be different ways to apply it. The youtube instructional videos are pretty good in getting the tape applied the right way.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,348 Member

I always listen to my body, (well i do now) pain is pain, no need to surpress it, because in long run, it will cause injury (speaking from experience)
  • stljam
    edited March 2021
    steveko89 wrote: »

dsc84 wrote: »
    Personally I would suggest trying other things like the KT Tape, Tiger Balm/Icy Hot etc. to see where and how you feel using that. Not as strong and worth testing. Just be careful if you do decide to and know your limits because one competition isn't worth a lifelong injury.

To add to this train of thought, I'd consider some shoulder stability exercises.

Think things like the top two in this -
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2F736x%2Ffc%2Fd8%2Ff4%2Ffcd8f49ed327deeccdbf7c533ddb7fe1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
    Body blade exercises if you or your gym has one.
    The old school hold your arms out for minutes (I think of pe as a kid).
    There are a number of isometric exercises that are used for stability. They were annoying for me to do because it didn't feel like i was doing much but they did build stability and have kept me from having my other shoulder surgically repaired.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I have a question about deadlifts. When you're doing a set, do you stop and reset for each rep? Or just rep out continuously for the set? I usually do them continuously and wonder if I'm cheating it a little with momentum???
  • steveko89
    I have a question about deadlifts. When you're doing a set, do you stop and reset for each rep? Or just rep out continuously for the set? I usually do them continuously and wonder if I'm cheating it a little with momentum???

I do them continuously but I have a history of lower back arthritis so I tend to keep volume low and rarely go above 5-6 rep sets. Unless you’re going so quickly you’re benefiting from a bounce at the bottom I wouldn’t consider that cheating. My plates are competition-style with minimal bounce so I can’t imagine getting reset quickly enough to make a significant difference. I’ve always heard that style referred to as touch-and-go so it’s definitely a thing.