GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

Rack Pulls: 3x10 315 lbs
    Seated Pull Downs: 3x12 160 lbs
    Flat Press: 3x10 225 lbs

Great job!!! Honest question Bc I always wondered this.... what is the benefit of a rack pull over a conventional DL? Is it Bc the weight can be a bit higher since it is higher or just similar to partial movements focusing more the top half of the deadlift? Wondering if after my strongman meet I should add them to my split.

I always wondered this too when I first got seriously interested in both. It’s the same lift. The rack pulls keep the extreme bend out of the lift. Which does help a bit with lowering chances for injury. In my opinion it allows you to lift a bit more because you’re in a stronger starting position. Rack pulls are also not recognized in strength competitions. I have several friends that compete in strength comps and they train on dead’s leading up to comp and focus on racks the rest of the year. All have told me they notice little to no difference in the benefit on strength or muscle gains over the other. I’d also love to hear others opinions on the difference as well.

I've heard the same thing from my pro BB friends. One tells me that she just prefers them. Another says he can lift a little more. Both agree, pretty much same exercise.
  • dsc84
    dsc84 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    OMG.... I officially qualified for my meet this weekend! Which meant hitting the numbers for at least 4/5 events. I did not think I’d get one deadlift, with both tires loaded, but managed 14, 10 under 60 😱. I wish I went a little less hard Bc I only needed 1 to qualify and I am still hurting from it, but proud nonetheless.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend/holiday!!! It was crazy busy for me but everything is when you have little kids 🤣 Anyway happy Monday!!!

This was the 10th rep, that face tho 🤣🤣😁

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a5bf9f9735d05cef4f30fc7d1e7d3a8acf7b86f3&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

That's the face of someone whos getting stuff done! Great Lift. That looks like a lot of fun. Out of curiosity what was the weight on the with both tires?
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    OMG.... I officially qualified for my meet this weekend! Which meant hitting the numbers for at least 4/5 events. I did not think I’d get one deadlift, with both tires loaded, but managed 14, 10 under 60 😱. I wish I went a little less hard Bc I only needed 1 to qualify and I am still hurting from it, but proud nonetheless.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend/holiday!!! It was crazy busy for me but everything is when you have little kids 🤣 Anyway happy Monday!!!

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886a5bf9f9735d05cef4f30fc7d1e7d3a8acf7b86f3&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Congrats on qualifying. I take it the shoulder is being less cranky?
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,152 Member
    Options
    dsc84 wrote: »

Great job!!! Honest question Bc I always wondered this.... what is the benefit of a rack pull over a conventional DL? Is it Bc the weight can be a bit higher since it is higher or just similar to partial movements focusing more the top half of the deadlift? Wondering if after my strongman meet I should add them to my split.

I always wondered this too when I first got seriously interested in both. It’s the same lift. The rack pulls keep the extreme bend out of the lift. Which does help a bit with lowering chances for injury. In my opinion it allows you to lift a bit more because you’re in a stronger starting position. Rack pulls are also not recognized in strength competitions. I have several friends that compete in strength comps and they train on dead’s leading up to comp and focus on racks the rest of the year. All have told me they notice little to no difference in the benefit on strength or muscle gains over the other. I’d also love to hear others opinions on the difference as well.

I agree with your assessment.

The one thing I would say though is it depends on the height you set your rack pull to. I know guys that are just at or below the kneecap and there isn't as much gain or improvement (unless focusing on that specific part of the deadlift) as lower depending on your height. The lowest rack I have available to me is mid-shin on me which is where I typically rack pull from. That's still 6 inches higher than a conventional for me.

I also like to think of rack pulls as a way to train different parts of a deadlift, because you can adjust height on them. The lower you pull the closer to the conventional you are. But sometimes you need to work on hip hinge, or lock out, or keeping lats tight through lift, grip, etc. To me it allows for me to break down what I need to strengthen in the entire movement, and focus on that as well just by adjusting bar height.

Personally, I can pull heavier weight from the rack. They are great for working on lockout at a higher weight, and if I notice if I'm struggling at the top of my lift I'll rack pull to strengthen that aspect

I also use rack pulls as an alternative to lacking gym equipment so I could simulate an axle bar pull that would be a bit higher-- think hummer tire deadlift.

Rack pulls are a lot lower risk to reward and if not training for something they are great. I would personally switch to the rack pulls completely (when not training for something with a deadlift event) but I love the deadlift too much and I just feel better when there is a deadlift in my program.

Good info. I use the lowest setting at my gym which is only 2 or 3 inches below the knee.
    y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

I've heard the same thing from my pro BB friends. One tells me that she just prefers them. Another says he can lift a little more. Both agree, pretty much same exercise.

Yep, I haven’t had a single person tell me the risk/reward ratio is worth doing the dead’s unless it’s for a competition. I’m sure there are some that prefer dead’s over racks and I’d love to hear what they have to say about it though.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

This makes sense specifically because BB’s don’t need strength so I understand why they would do it for sure.
  • jennacole12
    Options

That's the face of someone whos getting stuff done! Great Lift. That looks like a lot of fun. Out of curiosity what was the weight on the with both tires?

So it’s so hard to say, the tires are 500 and 250 and the platform is heavy on its own. It’s not entirely the same as lifting off the ground though Bc it’s tilted so my coach is estimating about 350. The novice men are lifting a Prius and the non novice groups use heavier vehicles, it’s so fun to watch!
  • jennacole12
    Options

I agree with your assessment.

The one thing I would say though is it depends on the height you set your rack pull to. I know guys that are just at or below the kneecap and there isn't as much gain or improvement (unless focusing on that specific part of the deadlift) as lower depending on your height. The lowest rack I have available to me is mid-shin on me which is where I typically rack pull from. That's still 6 inches higher than a conventional for me.

I also like to think of rack pulls as a way to train different parts of a deadlift, because you can adjust height on them. The lower you pull the closer to the conventional you are. But sometimes you need to work on hip hinge, or lock out, or keeping lats tight through lift, grip, etc. To me it allows for me to break down what I need to strengthen in the entire movement, and focus on that as well just by adjusting bar height.

Personally, I can pull heavier weight from the rack. They are great for working on lockout at a higher weight, and if I notice if I'm struggling at the top of my lift I'll rack pull to strengthen that aspect

I also use rack pulls as an alternative to lacking gym equipment so I could simulate an axle bar pull that would be a bit higher-- think hummer tire deadlift.

Rack pulls are a lot lower risk to reward and if not training for something they are great. I would personally switch to the rack pulls completely (when not training for something with a deadlift event) but I love the deadlift too much and I just feel better when there is a deadlift in my program.

Good info. I use the lowest setting at my gym which is only 2 or 3 inches below the knee.
    y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

Yep, I haven’t had a single person tell me the risk/reward ratio is worth doing the dead’s unless it’s for a competition. I’m sure there are some that prefer dead’s over racks and I’d love to hear what they have to say about it though.

This all makes a lot of sense and I do like the working on the diff pieces of the movement. Also, my coach does have me do the DL lifted on wooden blocks a few weeks before I attempt a new weight, he always said it trains the nervous system to bear the heavier load. I’m assuming that is technically the same as a rack pull.
  • jennacole12
    Options
    stljam wrote: »

Congrats on qualifying. I take it the shoulder is being less cranky?

No not really and I’m still not in qualifying range on the press medley, luckily I didn’t need it to qualify for the meet. My log is at 85 I gotta get to 105 and my CBD single hand clean and press is 45 and needs to be 50. I did get the shot and am now more scared to push so that isn’t helping either 😕
  • kinetixtrainer2
    edited April 2021
    Options

I agree with your assessment. I think we’ve even spoke about this before in this thread.

y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

This all makes a lot of sense and I do like the working on the diff pieces of the movement. Also, my coach does have me do the DL lifted on wooden blocks a few weeks before I attempt a new weight, he always said it trains the nervous system to bear the heavier load. I’m assuming that is technically the same as a rack pull.

Yeah I would agree. I think we spoke about that being similar to racks in this thread.
    y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

This makes sense specifically because BB’s don’t need strength so I understand why they would do it for sure.

Rack pulls will allow you to get strong AF. I think more BB’ers prefer racks because rack pulls allow for more volume and getting most of the same reward while avoiding that extreme bend in the lower back that can occurs on heavy dead lifts. I don’t compete in strength competitions nor do I desire to do body building competitions. I do it for job function and simply because I love it. There’s an array of other training ( duty specific) that I don’t post here that is complimented by what I do in the gym. Aches and pains and getting banged up happens a lot. So I limit the risk where I can.
  • jennacole12
    Options

I agree with your assessment. I think we’ve even spoke about this before in this thread.

y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

Yeah I would agree. I think we spoke about that being similar to racks in this thread.
    y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

Rack pulls will allow you to get strong AF. I think more BB’ers prefer racks because rack pulls allow for more volume and getting most of the same reward while avoiding that extreme bend in the lower back that can occurs on heavy dead lifts. I don’t compete in strength competitions nor do I desire to do body building competitions. I do it for job function and simply because I love it. There’s an array of other training ( duty specific) that I don’t post here that is complimented by what I do in the gym. Aches and pains and getting banged up happens a lot. So I limit the risk where I can.

I mean more so doing rack pulls alone wouldn’t equate to a 1:1 match on the full movement.... you’d have to alternate both to strengthen a conventional dead. But if not aspiring to compete or be a PWL it wouldn’t really matter so makes sense for a BB.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

y8g1lc5pi7ky.gif
    y7q6dh6mn441.gif
    32u9jx8dmwpj.gif

Just a few from today.

I mean more so doing rack pulls alone wouldn’t equate to a 1:1 match on the full movement.... you’d have to alternate both to strengthen a conventional dead. But if not aspiring to compete or be a PWL it wouldn’t really matter so makes sense for a BB.

Yes ma’am I agree.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options

Beast Mode!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    gamnmypxcxw2.jpg
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,065 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    They caught me at the gym today again.🙈
    Not an accomplishment but....it’s something.😂

wn121iejrhdn.gif

I think this is awesome and would kick my *kitten*!
    Story of my life 6 days a week “kick my *kitten*”😂 You’d be fine! Thank you.
  • jennacole12
    Options

wn121iejrhdn.gif

This looks fun! Is it like a boot camp type thing?
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,568 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options

Hell yeah! I had no doubt! You slayed it GRRRL!!! You're such an inspiration! ❤️
  • KickassAmazon76
    edited April 2021
    Options

wn121iejrhdn.gif

Yes! Love this!!! ❤️
    Plus, it IS an accomplishment because you were there, busting your butt!
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    I hit my squats 5x5@150. I'll try to post more later, but it's being super slow atm. Sorry for the pole in the way!3s8ykb4nsnt4.gif

This is awesome!! Well done and great depth!