Women 200lb+, Let's Amaze Ourselves This April!!!

Options

Replies

• Spotteddingo
    Spotteddingo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Respectfully, I disagree with the blog post relating to the notion that slow metabolism and weight gain is "BS."
    That would mean that advice from a cardiologist, endocrinologist, GP, and 2 licenced nutritionists would all be wrong. Not to mention my own experience with how my body is responding to my caloric intake. Scientific data has shown that when calories are very limited, the body's metabolism slows down to compensate for that.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Respectfully, I disagree with the blog post relating to the notion that slow metabolism and weight gain is "BS."
    That would mean that advice from a cardiologist, endocrinologist, GP, and 2 licenced nutritionists would all be wrong. Not to mention my own experience with how my body is responding to my caloric intake. Scientific data has shown that when calories are very limited, the body's metabolism slows down to compensate for that.

What part are you disagreeing with, then? The "BS" part is when people claim they gain weight because of having a slow metabolism - if you're eating so little that your metabolic activity has slowed down, which does happen as you say, you are probably not gaining weight. His point is that some people claim to have a "slow" metabolism and that's why they gain weight no matter what they eat, when in reality, their metabolism is working exactly as it should - they're just eating more and moving less than they think they are, because people are bad judges of that kind of thing.

edit to add: The situation may be different for people with metabolic disorders, but he also says that right up front in the article.
  • trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    speyerj wrote: »
    @goal06082021 really excellent explanation of NEAT, TDEE and BMR reminded me of an article by Aadam from Physiqonomics. For those of you not familiar with his blog, I encourage you to check it out. This particular article called "The Truth About your Slow Metabolism" cuts through a lot of the bunk that is out there about how weight loss works. Hope you find it informative. https://physiqonomics.com/slow-metabolism/

@speyerj the website is amazing. Thank you for sharing. I've sent it off to two of my friends that don't get onto the MFP forums
  • uyister
    uyister Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    @ladychr0nic Thank you. I am doing good. I am back home already, so getting back into a routine.

@speyerj Thank you!!! Glad I was home for this, as I could find someone to take a nice full-length pic for me.
  • MuttiNM
    MuttiNM Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    @uyister Congrats on the 100 pounds! What a great milestone to achieve! And I agree, very cute dress. You look great!