WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka, awesome for the 9 day fortnight!
    It's a bit like that in France for many (not me as i'm a teacher). They have had 35 hour weeks for well over a decade, 7h a day, but in fact many people work 8h days and accumulate a half day every week, and save them up , more often to have long weekends, extra long vacations, or more vacations and so on. It seems to work well.

Here, a 76 hour fortnight is quite common - 7.6 hours a day. Or something right around there.

I took my neuropsychologist's advice and waited a while after finishing university to make my decision.
    I debated about rearranging my hours, but didn't like any of those ideas.
    We've been very busy at work because we've been one person down since about a week before Christmas so I've been putting in the whole 76 hours and sometimes a bit more.
    But we're finally getting someone, and the 2 of us who have been doing 3 people's work are relieved!

I'll be working 5 days one week, 4 days the next, with Friday off. That will go for a year then will be reviewed to see if I want to continue with that or return to 76 hours.

I haven't even had one of the Fridays off and I feel more relaxed already just knowing I'll have about 26 extra days off each year. :)

M in Oz

I used to work that schedule. It is called a 9/80 here. I didn't like it because it didn't leave time for me to exercise every day. The longer days made it too late when I got home and too early in the morning. I did like the extra Friday's off though.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Acid reflux - I have not experienced it much, but the mister does once in a while. He take omeprazole to help and has a prescription of pantoprazole when it gets really bad. We also have the bed lifted at the head so we are not completely flat at night. Alcohol triggers it as well as greasy or fried foods. He hasn't complained about spicy food, but it probably does too. The doctor also told him and a friend of ours not to drink or eat anything (including water) at least 3 hours before going to bed. I do know that if you let it get bad for too long, it can cause all kinds of problems.

Tina in CA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Worked today so no formal exercise. Surprisingly, I did get in over 7,000 steps. Don’t ask me how. When I got home went for a walk around the block. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump DVD.

Kylia – that was so nice of the officer not to give you a ticket but just a warning

How I was wishing I was outside at work today! It’s so nice. I did many times make sure there were carts in the stall and not just sitting aside. Some people take the carts that you have on the side, and that’s OK.

Barbie – that coat looks really nice and warm.

Rebecca – you took me back to a time when I was a kid and we made headbands out of flowers

katla – yes, I’ve had that happen. Microsoft changes things when they do their <sic> wonderful updates

Allie – hope you get the disability

Annie DE – you’re doing fantastic!

Michele NC

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,823 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
    Uuu
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Im watching the Love Boat and tucked in to bed with my furbaby,it feels good to have him home..and with him here it gets me outside more..
    Will go in the morning to pick Homer up for the day.. love having them here.
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Machka - my favorite work schedule was four nines, Friday off, every week. It was so amazing to have weekdays off after so many years of trying to fit doctor's appointments and banking and everything else around a work schedule without any flexibility. My first Girl Scout Council worked four nines, and the second one worked four nines and a half-day Friday.

Got the hot tub all set up, and thank you for the tips, KJ - we created a privacy screen with PVC and shower curtains that makes it a very light, bright space, with plenty of room to get around the edges. All told, around $50 and an hour's work with my husband and I working together. No glue needed, just brute strength on his part. I know it's very Beverly Hillbillies, but I've seen worse.

Have had a few good days in a row health-wise. Trying so hard not to jinx it by talking about it, but it's amazing to feel like I have energy and to be able to stay out of the bathroom for hours at a time. Small blessings. Second vaccine on Thursday... which will change my life not at all, other than less worry.

Love y'all,
    Lisa

Oh, and the setup in the carport. Not sure why it's so blurry:
    3zjhvrdzuxi3.jpg

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,869 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: I love your floors. They are very appealing. :star:

Bananas: I had trouble with the computer yesterday but managed to clear it of junk. Microsoft paid a visit and caused the worry. It seems fine so far today. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays fine. :flowerforyou:

I have been having some acid reflux issues and tried Nexium. DH thinks that it is worrisome. I would appreciate advice on the matter if anyone has personal experience. Is it safe enough or worrisome?

Katla in bright, sunshiney NW Oregon

Nexium is horrible but if you've been on it a while you'll have to go off gradually.

I was on it a while before I started feeling all the negative effects and then going off was a very rough road.

I tried Zantac for a while until they took it off the market because it causes cancer.

Then I stopped using anything for acid reflux (GERD) and it has eased right off. I will occasionally use ginger but that's it.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Zwift bike trainer- 27.23min, 17.8amph, 164elev, 132ahr, 158mhr, 8.12mi= 294c
    Strava app = 170c
    Walk w/family- 1hr 43sec, 84ahr, 97mhr, 3.19mi= 314c
    Strava app = 387c

Total cal 608

• Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    It's a bit like that in France for many (not me as i'm a teacher). They have had 35 hour weeks for well over a decade, 7h a day, but in fact many people work 8h days and accumulate a half day every week, and save them up , more often to have long weekends, extra long vacations, or more vacations and so on. It seems to work well.

Here, a 76 hour fortnight is quite common - 7.6 hours a day. Or something right around there.

I took my neuropsychologist's advice and waited a while after finishing university to make my decision.
    We've been very busy at work because we've been one person down since about a week before Christmas so I've been putting in the whole 76 hours and sometimes a bit more.
    But we're finally getting someone, and the 2 of us who have been doing 3 people's work are relieved!

I'll be working 5 days one week, 4 days the next, with Friday off. That will go for a year then will be reviewed to see if I want to continue with that or return to 76 hours.

I haven't even had one of the Fridays off and I feel more relaxed already just knowing I'll have about 26 extra days off each year. :)

M in Oz

I used to work that schedule. It is called a 9/80 here. I didn't like it because it didn't leave time for me to exercise every day. The longer days made it too late when I got home and too early in the morning. I did like the extra Friday's off though.

Tina in CA

I'm not extending my hours each day. I'm dropping one day of work every fortnight. :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »

M in Oz

Tina in CA

I'm not extending my hours each day. I'm dropping one day of work every fortnight. :)

I'm going from 76 hours per fortnight down to 68.4 hours per fortnight.

I almost feel like I've retired! I'm much more used to working between 80 and 100 hours per fortnight than I am working less than 70 hours!!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Heather: I love your floors. They are very appealing. :star:

Bananas: I had trouble with the computer yesterday but managed to clear it of junk. Microsoft paid a visit and caused the worry. It seems fine so far today. Keeping my fingers crossed that it stays fine. :flowerforyou:

I have been having some acid reflux issues and tried Nexium. DH thinks that it is worrisome. I would appreciate advice on the matter if anyone has personal experience. Is it safe enough or worrisome?

Katla in bright, sunshiney NW Oregon

Nexium is horrible but if you've been on it a while you'll have to go off gradually.

I was on it a while before I started feeling all the negative effects and then going off was a very rough road.

I tried Zantac for a while until they took it off the market because it causes cancer.

Then I stopped using anything for acid reflux (GERD) and it has eased right off. I will occasionally use ginger but that's it.

M in Oz

I also find that drinking a glass of really cold water helps more than Nexium or Zantac ever did.

And cutting back on things like coffee.

And losing weight.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    o:)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💫⭐🌟
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Julie - a lot of my coworkers had fatigue as one of the reactions to the vaccine.

Katla - I have acid reflux, have for about 15 years now. I used Pepcid or Zantac for years. Now I am on Dexilant it is a prescription. I tried Nexium but it says you have to take it for a month before it would start working so I called my Dr to get my prescription renewed instead. When I lost weight in 2018 I had no issues until this past winter. I do find that if I drink too much coffee or too many acidic foods I suffer. Tomatoes and tomato based sauces are the worst culprit for me.

Rebecca- I just saw a commercial stating Lego Masters is returning on June 1.

Machka - that long weekend every other weekend will be nice.
    Currently, I am working insane hours, but my regular is 76.5 every two weeks.

I am slow to catch up today, have had a headache and been tired all day.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,823 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    Just a little bit about Nexium: https://www.drugwatch.com/proton-pump-inhibitors/nexium/ and https://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/why-you-should-not-rely-on-OTC-nexium-for-heartburn/

Personally, I regret trying it, not pleased that a doctor suggested it, and I am very glad I got off it.

The combination of my genetic disorder, the Vitamin B12 deficiency and low magnesium (which Nexium causes) was not good at all.

If you are thinking about taking it, read the reviews first.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Good early morning ladies
    Well i slept until 1 am ,but the congestive heart failure is acting up i try and dlerp propped up,but it is a constant clearing of the throat that drives me nuts,so im awake playing circle words on my phone..
    Only saving grace is that i have Alfie tucked with me under the covers.
    Here is hoping i can get back to sleep
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,210 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    In progress.1lbp04me81e8.jpg

Heather UK xxxxxx