Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

Replies

• barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    I tried it for a time after watching several coworkers have success with it. For me, it was totally not worth it. I, for whatever reason, did not find that it was helpful in managing my appetite at all and I would be well over my allotted calories for the day REALLY quickly, but was still feeling hungry.
  • digestibleplastic
    digestibleplastic Posts: 27 Member
    edited June 2020
    ozonezoe wrote: »
    Love hearing people’s opinions and experience with different life style changes! Let me know what you think of keto and if it was beneficial for your life!

When I was 200+ lbs and borderline diabetic it was the only diet that balanced my hormones enough to allow me to lose weight. I was actually put on it by a Doctor who said this isn't for life, but just to heal my body to the point that I could get to a healthy weight *eventually* and introduce back other foods. It wasn't used for weight loss in my situation.

It worked amazingly for that reason. I am no longer keto, but my blood sugars are self regulating now and so are many of my other hormones that were totally out of whack when I was much more obese.

ETA: I'm still obese, so it's clearly not the extra fat alone that was affecting my hormones, myriad of vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and inability to lose weight.
  • Irene89DtDowd
    Irene89DtDowd Posts: 2 Member
    edited May 2021
    The keto diet is a pretty extreme kind of diet. Refusal of carbohydrates threatens with breakdowns on unhealthy diet, headaches, weakness, chills. When switching to a keto diet suddenly, you can expect an exacerbation of pancreatitis and other health problems. A doctor's consultation is required. You can also use an app for keto diet. The main advantage of such a diet is that the lost weight will not return, since there is no sharp change in nutrition and artificial reduction of calories. However, due to a large number of proteins and fats in the diet, don't expect fast weight loss per week.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Fats are not satiating to me and I’m mostly plant based and eat a lot of fruit so it would never work for me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    The main advantage of such a diet is that the lost weight will not return, since there is no sharp change in nutrition and artificial reduction of calories.

What?!?!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    ozonezoe wrote: »
    Love hearing people’s opinions and experience with different life style changes! Let me know what you think of keto and if it was beneficial for your life!

When I was 200+ lbs and borderline diabetic it was the only diet that balanced my hormones enough to allow me to lose weight. I was actually put on it by a Doctor who said this isn't for life, but just to heal my body to the point that I could get to a healthy weight *eventually* and introduce back other foods. It wasn't used for weight loss in my situation.

It worked amazingly for that reason. I am no longer keto, but my blood sugars are self regulating now and so are many of my other hormones that were totally out of whack when I was much more obese.

ETA: I'm still obese, so it's clearly not the extra fat alone that was affecting my hormones, myriad of vitamin and mineral deficiencies, and inability to lose weight.

I am glad to hear of your health gains. When I cut out added sugars and grains my 40 years of life controlling IBS resolved after several months and 7 years later has never returned. While I still don't use added sweeteners and still watch the grains I eat well over 50 grams of carbs daily due my focus on healthy gut microbiome. They need good fiber to eat to provide me with a strong immune system.
  • Vjmikesell
    Vjmikesell Posts: 36 Member
    Was keto for 8 months, worked out on regular basis-. Total of 5 pound loss, highest cholesterol I’ve e we had, constant digestive issues, heartburn, fatigue, etc…etc..

I’ll be celebrating my 1 year vegetarian/dairy-free anniversary July 14th, work out on regular basis, but less than I did on keto 19.5 pounds down, energetic, clear skin, perfect cholesterol/labs.

Keto was just an excuse to stuff myself with high fat meat/cheese. I felt like complete sh** entire time no thank you- never again,
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I think it would be absolutely and entirely unsustainable for me.

I like carbs.

It's just really that simple.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member

I was once on a strict keto diet.

.... for about 12 minutes.

• GaleHawkins
    tsazani wrote: »
    If you are overweight, obese, or T2D cutting carbs and fasting is your treatment.

Keto is the most extreme way to cut carbs. Intermittant and 24-72 hr water fasting give your fatty liver and pancreas time to repair and heal.

ALL overweight, obese, and T2D people have fatty liver which is the cause of insulin resistance. It's a simple process:

years of excess carbs -> high basal insulin and spikes -> obesity -> fatty liver -> ever increasing insulin resistance -> T2D -> strokes, heart attacks, blindness, kidney failure, dementia, amputations, ED, cancer, etc -> early death

The problem with keto is that it's very limiting and boring. Plus, carbs are delicious. I prefer to follow these guidlines:

Phase 1 (Induction).  This phase allows for 20–25 grams of net carbs per day until you are 15 pounds (7 kg) from your goal weight.

Phase 2. During this phase, you consume 25–50 grams of net carbs per day until you are 10 pounds (5 kg) from your goal weight.

Phase 3. Your net carb allowance is raised to 50–80 grams per day until you have met your goal weight and maintained it for 1 month.

Phase 4. During the final phase, you consume 80–100 grams of net carbs per day for ongoing weight maintenance.

For T2Ds I recommend "eating to your glucometer".

Thanks for your simple and straight forward informational Keto post.

Like many I failed to understand my controlling attachment to sugar wasn't a weakness of my mind but it came from some of my then gut microbiome communicating with my brain by way of my Vagus nerve dictating their cavings.

I was to start on Enbrel injections in 90 days for pain management. The associated cancer risk was something I was not willing to accept easily. I had a very strong hunch by cutting out sugar and all forms of all grains that I could dodge the Enbrel injection bullet.

After 60 days I was still stopping by Dairy Queen for my banana split.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I was once on a strict keto diet.

.... for about 12 minutes.

You needed about 2 more minutes, honest.
  • GaleHawkins
    tsazani wrote: »
    If you are overweight, obese, or T2D cutting carbs and fasting is your treatment.

Keto is the most extreme way to cut carbs. Intermittant and 24-72 hr water fasting give your fatty liver and pancreas time to repair and heal.

ALL overweight, obese, and T2D people have fatty liver which is the cause of insulin resistance. It's a simple process:

years of excess carbs -> high basal insulin and spikes -> obesity -> fatty liver -> ever increasing insulin resistance -> T2D -> strokes, heart attacks, blindness, kidney failure, dementia, amputations, ED, cancer, etc -> early death

The problem with keto is that it's very limiting and boring. Plus, carbs are delicious. I prefer to follow these guidlines:

Phase 1 (Induction).  This phase allows for 20–25 grams of net carbs per day until you are 15 pounds (7 kg) from your goal weight.

Phase 2. During this phase, you consume 25–50 grams of net carbs per day until you are 10 pounds (5 kg) from your goal weight.

Phase 3. Your net carb allowance is raised to 50–80 grams per day until you have met your goal weight and maintained it for 1 month.

Phase 4. During the final phase, you consume 80–100 grams of net carbs per day for ongoing weight maintenance.

For T2Ds I recommend "eating to your glucometer".

Thanks for your simple and straight forward informational Keto post.

Like many I failed to understand my controlling attachment to sugar wasn't a weakness of my mind but it came from some of my then gut microbiome communicating with my brain by way of my Vagus nerve dictating their cavings.

I was to start on Enbrel injections in 90 days for pain management. The associated cancer risk was something I was not willing to accept easily. I had a very strong hunch by cutting out sugar and all forms of all grains that I could dodge the Enbrel injection bullet.

After 60 days I was still stopping by Dairy Queen for my banana split.

I was down to 30 days when I put my left brain in charge and cold turkey stopped eating foods containing added sugars and any form of any grains. I held my carbs down to 50 grams daily but my calories remained around 3000 since weight loss was NOT an objective.

Going keto was not on my mind. I was trying to slow a hard and premature death.

Yes in the first 2 weeks I thought I was going to die. That was when I learned about my microbes that were causing my sugar cravings were dying off. In 30 Days my pain was dropping like a rock so I told the doctors no to Enbrel injections and to manage my pain with food choices. That decision accidentally put me in nutritional ketosis.

I cut out sugar and grains 1 October 2014. While I did not lose or gain weight in the month but started to loose my fat face and one inch in the waist. A few months in I realized my 40 years of life defining IBS had resolved. 7 years later it has not returned even for one day.

I ate keto for about 5 years which was more plant based than my former SAD way of eating. When I added more veggies and fruits that knocked me out of nutritional ketosis. Now that my pain has been well managed for years I eat to improve the health of my gut microbiome. For 50 years my health concern has to do with my Ankylosing Spondylitis.
  • EyeOTS
    EyeOTS Posts: 362 Member
    It's all about calorie reduction for me. I do use some Keto products and recipes because I find them to be satiating for their calorie counts.