Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Overexercising.!
    My dad's a diabetic-since the past 25 years- and in Feb 2020 he went to a doctor who claimed to completely cure people of diabetes and promised to get them off meds/insulin. He was put on a high protein low carb diet and my dad lost 20 kgs by sept 2020 but the amount of overexercising my dad did was crazy and he used to force me to do the same but I only used to feel light headed and hungry so for me I thought it was defeating the purpose coz I used to overeat 😢

What sort of exercising do you think was crazy? Did he have any medical issues due to it?

We live on the second floor of an apartment building and he was prescribed to run up and down the stairs 3x a day and also encouraged to add weights so he started carrying total of 5-6 kgs of dumbbells in a backpack. So basically he was climbing the equivalent of 7 floors per session and also used to do exercises with the said weights. He was overdoing it so much so that his shoulder blades became very visible and he used to look emaciated. So he was adviced to tone down his exercises and increase his food intake to look normal.

Getting skinny wasn't due to the exercise but not eating appropriately for his level of activity.
    He could have eaten more and done the exercise and not ended up looking that way.

Doing less just makes it easier to eat more to stop the gap.

Wouldn't be surprised if he had some other issues from what sounds like an extreme diet from that weight loss rate.

I guess off topic enough.

But to swing it around back to the myths - thinking exercise by itself causes weight loss.

I would challenge that that is a universal myth. For MOST people, yes, a change in eating habits is needed to lose weight.
    But, if a person is sedentary and maintaining their weight, then adding exercise could definitely create enough of a deficit, even if they kept their diet the same.
    It's not as common, but I wouldn't automatically say it can't be done.

If the statement is "Exercise, by itself, can create a deficit for some people," then I would agree (although it seems like it's very easy for most people to just eat more to cancel out the increased activity unless they're deliberately focusing on calorie control). But I think when it was mentioned as a myth, the meaning was more like "Exercise, in and of itself, causes weight loss."
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Overexercising.!
    My dad's a diabetic-since the past 25 years- and in Feb 2020 he went to a doctor who claimed to completely cure people of diabetes and promised to get them off meds/insulin. He was put on a high protein low carb diet and my dad lost 20 kgs by sept 2020 but the amount of overexercising my dad did was crazy and he used to force me to do the same but I only used to feel light headed and hungry so for me I thought it was defeating the purpose coz I used to overeat 😢

What sort of exercising do you think was crazy? Did he have any medical issues due to it?

We live on the second floor of an apartment building and he was prescribed to run up and down the stairs 3x a day and also encouraged to add weights so he started carrying total of 5-6 kgs of dumbbells in a backpack. So basically he was climbing the equivalent of 7 floors per session and also used to do exercises with the said weights. He was overdoing it so much so that his shoulder blades became very visible and he used to look emaciated. So he was adviced to tone down his exercises and increase his food intake to look normal.

Getting skinny wasn't due to the exercise but not eating appropriately for his level of activity.
    He could have eaten more and done the exercise and not ended up looking that way.

Doing less just makes it easier to eat more to stop the gap.

Wouldn't be surprised if he had some other issues from what sounds like an extreme diet from that weight loss rate.

I guess off topic enough.

But to swing it around back to the myths - thinking exercise by itself causes weight loss.

I would challenge that that is a universal myth. For MOST people, yes, a change in eating habits is needed to lose weight.
    But, if a person is sedentary and maintaining their weight, then adding exercise could definitely create enough of a deficit, even if they kept their diet the same.
    It's not as common, but I wouldn't automatically say it can't be done.

As many of the myths mentioned, was speaking of what seems to be a common accepted saying or thinking.
    As many of the myths mentioned, there can be specific use cases where it does not apply (cutting out some foods, not eating certain times, ect).

But the slew of people that ask if they'll lose weight because they can't exercise, or only started the exercise before logging food and wondered why no loss, shows how much confusion on this matter is still out there.

But it is a myth as I stated it - thinking exercise BY ITSELF causes weight loss.

If you don't account for calories.... as you stated.
  • Here is a funny one: All vegans a skinny

Go to India where most of the population is vegetarian and you will see not everyone is skinny or underweight.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Here is a funny one: All vegans a skinny

Go to India where most of the population is vegetarian and you will see not everyone is skinny or underweight.

That's true. Skinny people left only in rural India. We are also the diabetes capital of the world. We have a culture here of offering boxes of sweets on every occasion.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    If you exercise you are trying to lose weight.

I've had so many people ask why I bike/run/walk for hours. They automatically think exercise = trying to lose weight. I just exercise because I enjoy it and I like to eat! I always have people asking me why I exercise if I don't want to lose weight.

My response would be...

"I don't diet and exercise, I eat and train..."

Totally different mindset.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Everybody knows that it's unpossible to loose weight without drink Apple Cider Vinegar three times a day.

It's True !!

tenor.gif
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Recovery "carbs" after a workout. While it won't hurt you, your glycogen gets restored after just eating any carbs at anytime in the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png