Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of weight loss articles on Google for inspiration and ideas and everyone's diet secret is either a big bowl of soup or glass of milk at night. That's it. And these people end up losing 25 kgs in 5 months. It really makes me doubt myself coz despite eating healthy and working out regularly my weight is not dropping. I know i will not be able to sustain it so it prevents me from trying such methods and I have a terrible fear of passing out!

If it makes you feel better, nobody is actually losing weight simply because they're drinking a big bowl of soup or glass of milk at night. If doing one of those things results in an individual consistently eating fewer calories than they body is using, they will experience weight loss. In that sense, they may feel like it's their weight loss "secret." But there are many people who could do this and still wind up not creating a calorie deficit. I personally have soup several times a week and I only lose weight when I also create a calorie deficit.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of weight loss articles on Google for inspiration and ideas and everyone's diet secret is either a big bowl of soup or glass of milk at night. That's it. And these people end up losing 25 kgs in 5 months. It really makes me doubt myself coz despite eating healthy and working out regularly my weight is not dropping. I know i will not be able to sustain it so it prevents me from trying such methods and I have a terrible fear of passing out!

I guess having a big bowl of soup instead of a calorie high dinner could well help people lose weight.

However if you yourself are not dropping weight and it has been a decent length of time with no progress - start a separate thread and people can help you.

Eating healthy and working out is great - but quite possible to do that and not be in a calorie deficit hence not lose weight.

I'm not disagreeing that you can't lose weight on a bowl of soup for dinner. I subscribe to my local paper online so they publish these people's diets which are clearly less than 1000 calories. I just wanna know how are they not passing out by eating sprouts for breakfast, piece of chicken for lunch, nuts for tea and just plain water after a vigorous workout and then just lentils or soup for dinner. Maybe I am wrong...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    Protein as a supplement is a waste of money. Yeah, prolly gonna get smashed for this one lol

Please, cite your clinical studies that validate this statement. I pore over research, double blind clinical studies and data derived from trainers that have worked with thousands of clients, who have FACTS that differ from your conclusion. Please, show us some.

I dont see how "protein powders are a waste of money" could possibly be proven or disproven by any clinical studies or FACTS.

Since it is a subjective statement and entirely a personal decision.

Anything - be it protein powder, shoes, bags, jewellery, coffee etc etc - is worth it to some people and not others.

Yeah to say they are not needed is a far cry from a waste of money. If you can get all your protein from food they are not needed. If you are super busy and a daily shake helps you hit your protein goal then they are clearly not a waste...
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Carbs are bad.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options

I guess having a big bowl of soup instead of a calorie high dinner could well help people lose weight.

However if you yourself are not dropping weight and it has been a decent length of time with no progress - start a separate thread and people can help you.

Eating healthy and working out is great - but quite possible to do that and not be in a calorie deficit hence not lose weight.

I'm not disagreeing that you can't lose weight on a bowl of soup for dinner. I subscribe to my local paper online so they publish these people's diets which are clearly less than 1000 calories. I just wanna know how are they not passing out by eating sprouts for breakfast, piece of chicken for lunch, nuts for tea and just plain water after a vigorous workout and then just lentils or soup for dinner. Maybe I am wrong...

Well, maybe they don't eat to their plan every day or they do it short term or who knows...

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Oh, along those lines, actually heard in a commercial years ago.

If you skip breakfast your metabolism will tank.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    If all these crazy myths were true our species would have become extinct long ago...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If all these crazy myths were true our species would have become extinct long ago...

There are a lot of things that, considered with a nickel's worth of common sense, and an eye on the context of natural selection, ought to make any person's eyes roll around in their head like loose marbles:

* Certain foods must be eaten in a particular order, or particular combinations, for health (like raw food before cooked)
    * Macro combinations must be tailored to time of day
    * It's healthier to stop eating (some food humans have eaten for millennia)
    * Etc.
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    One from the late 80s/early 90s was "take your goal weight and multiply it by 10 to get your calories needed to get to that weight " or the variation "whatever your weight is now, multiply it by 10 to figure out how many calories you eat a day". I don't know why, but that one has stuck with me all these years.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Overexercising.!
    My dad's a diabetic-since the past 25 years- and in Feb 2020 he went to a doctor who claimed to completely cure people of diabetes and promised to get them off meds/insulin. He was put on a high protein low carb diet and my dad lost 20 kgs by sept 2020 but the amount of overexercising my dad did was crazy and he used to force me to do the same but I only used to feel light headed and hungry so for me I thought it was defeating the purpose coz I used to overeat 😢

What sort of exercising do you think was crazy? Did he have any medical issues due to it?
  • heybales
    Options
    One from the late 80s/early 90s was "take your goal weight and multiply it by 10 to get your calories needed to get to that weight " or the variation "whatever your weight is now, multiply it by 10 to figure out how many calories you eat a day". I don't know why, but that one has stuck with me all these years.

Ohhh, I've still seen that super simple formula thrown out still on sites and by people. It's stuck with many people it appears.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options

If I did that I'd get to my goal weight all right! In like 2-3 weeks, based on what I'm eating and how fast I'm losing now 😬
  • J72FIT
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

There are a lot of things that, considered with a nickel's worth of common sense, and an eye on the context of natural selection, ought to make any person's eyes roll around in their head like loose marbles:

* Certain foods must be eaten in a particular order, or particular combinations, for health (like raw food before cooked)
    * Macro combinations must be tailored to time of day
    * It's healthier to stop eating (some food humans have eaten for millennia)
    * Etc.

100%
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Overexercising.!
    My dad's a diabetic-since the past 25 years- and in Feb 2020 he went to a doctor who claimed to completely cure people of diabetes and promised to get them off meds/insulin. He was put on a high protein low carb diet and my dad lost 20 kgs by sept 2020 but the amount of overexercising my dad did was crazy and he used to force me to do the same but I only used to feel light headed and hungry so for me I thought it was defeating the purpose coz I used to overeat 😢

What sort of exercising do you think was crazy? Did he have any medical issues due to it?

We live on the second floor of an apartment building and he was prescribed to run up and down the stairs 3x a day and also encouraged to add weights so he started carrying total of 5-6 kgs of dumbbells in a backpack. So basically he was climbing the equivalent of 7 floors per session and also used to do exercises with the said weights. He was overdoing it so much so that his shoulder blades became very visible and he used to look emaciated. So he was adviced to tone down his exercises and increase his food intake to look normal.
  • heybales
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Overexercising.!

We live on the second floor of an apartment building and he was prescribed to run up and down the stairs 3x a day and also encouraged to add weights so he started carrying total of 5-6 kgs of dumbbells in a backpack. So basically he was climbing the equivalent of 7 floors per session and also used to do exercises with the said weights. He was overdoing it so much so that his shoulder blades became very visible and he used to look emaciated. So he was adviced to tone down his exercises and increase his food intake to look normal.

Getting skinny wasn't due to the exercise but not eating appropriately for his level of activity.
    He could have eaten more and done the exercise and not ended up looking that way.

Doing less just makes it easier to eat more to stop the gap.

Wouldn't be surprised if he had some other issues from what sounds like an extreme diet from that weight loss rate.

I guess off topic enough.

But to swing it around back to the myths - thinking exercise by itself causes weight loss.