60 yrs and up

Replies

• Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    Wow, what a birthday 🥳🥳🥳
  • Tuppence26
    anawake13 wrote: »
    Hi all. Hope you have had a productive week. Things are heating up in Sacramento and I made a decision to use our pool this year. Last year we had too much smoke for much outdoors. Praying for a summer without such devastating fires. Since all the family are vaccinated we are planning a few trips which will be nice. I do well on vacation but not so great at being home which is another way of saying I'm a boredom eater. Wishing you all a good week.

• Tuppence26
    Swimming will be a great exercise, I go to the local baths once a week or so. Would love a pool out back😎😎
  • Tuppence26
    Hey everyone, thank you for sharing your stories, posting the beaut photos and keeping the blog alive. I really find it’s a the best distraction when I want to snack 🍰🍦🥮🍫🍪🍩🙆‍♀️🙆‍♀️ when I’m not even hungry. Bye for now from New Zealand🙋🏼‍♀️🙋🏼‍♀️
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited May 2021
    alteredsteve175
    Hope things settle down for you! Vent as much as you need to, we are here to listen! And even distract you if that helps :)
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    SbetaK wrote: »
    alteredsteve175
    Hope things settle down for you! Vent as much as you need to, we are here to listen! And even distract you if that helps :)

Thanks, SbetaK. Sort of a virtual scream in here. And you're right, it's a distraction, and that helps!

• glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2021
    @alteredsteve175 I'm praying for a speedy recovery to whom needs it. But yes, venting helps. That's why I write books on here. Men can scream and cry too. It's not good to keep it all bottled up. Trouble takes a break soon.
    @AnnPT77 The fruit shown are white chocolate covered pineapple slices. I also got dark chocolate covered strawberries. And omg thick,( close to 1/2") dark chocolate carmel covered green apples. I looked at the boxes opened before me and glanced up at my sister thinking, didn't I tell her I was using MFP, lol. But I said, ahhhh you shouldn't have.
    My sons treated me to a highly rated Asian takeout this p.m. It was delicious. But omg I am experiencing msg overload. Racing pounding heartbeat. I usually run a calm 72. I am a 86 resting across my bed. I had to get up and check it. I don't like the feeling. Some use too much msg.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    glojlilly wrote: »
    g96jkpi8a1nr.jpg
    I'm in rainy Texas as well. It messes with my outdoor plans. I'm afraid to buy landscape flowers. I think they may wash away.
    I had a great birthday. Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I got briefly sick at work before the big day. Drunk some old coffee left in my yeti. My sister got me 2 dozen chocolate covered fruit. I'm really not a sweets snacker. Also Michigan family sent me 4 dozen roses in a large vase . I felt I was looking at my own memorial. Why so many roses I thought. Showing love I told myself. They look beautiful. I love flowers outdoors better. Plants are different. They're still growing. Getting back on track.
    63...wow, I can't believe it. I used to ignore the numbers but I can't now. I'm a senior citizen, lol. It's time to live girl!
    Speaking of Medicare. My 83 yr old mother seems to have appointments every 2 months on Medicare. Diabetic Dr., foot Dr., dental Dr., eye Dr., heart Dr, medical Dr, etc. It gives her somewhere to go besides walking the 2 dogs with my brother, fishing, thrift store shopping, meijers for groceries steering fast in the handicap wheelie, beauty college hair appts, church, etc. She is quite active.
    Clothes for the summer someone said. I need to use what I have. This pandemic made me lose a whole year wearing what I already have. Besides, I haven't lost that much to celebrate. Not yet. I need to work more harder!
    m3xrkgblpdtb.jpg
    c1cytljh9ynm.jpg
    Here is mom.83. I hope I get around as good as she does. I had to stop her from filling out employment applications last week. She just renewed her driving license. Cooks , cleans and gardens a little.yrzjlvcs6lja.jpg

Happy Birthday to your Mom! We should all be like her at 83.
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    I'm about done with my evening chores, so will soon shower and then settle in for some Netflix binging (my newest distraction from getting to bed at a decent hour, ha). So, this is my life as being retired, and still "trapped" by many ramifications of Covid restrictions. All in all, I cannot complain when compared to the actual hardships faced by so many. I am thankful.
    One good thing is that I've plenty of time to "think about my food selections" before grabbing something that is not a wise choice (which can unfortunately happen pretty easily during very busy times).
  • Tuppence26
    SbetaK wrote: »
    alteredsteve175

Thanks, SbetaK. Sort of a virtual scream in here. And you're right, it's a distraction, and that helps!

Times like that certainly make us appreciate the easier times eh?
  • Tuppence26
    I'm about done with my evening chores, so will soon shower and then settle in for some Netflix binging (my newest distraction from getting to bed at a decent hour, ha). So, this is my life as being retired, and still "trapped" by many ramifications of Covid restrictions. All in all, I cannot complain when compared to the actual hardships faced by so many. I am thankful.
    One good thing is that I've plenty of time to "think about my food selections" before grabbing something that is not a wise choice (which can unfortunately happen pretty easily during very busy times).

Oh my goodness I so agree, a day out almost seems like an excuse for me to eat rubbish! No restrictions here in NZ. I love Netflix it’s how I get my biking exercise done.
  • Tuppence26
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oh, @glojlilly: What a wonderful looking birthday! Many happy returns of the day to you, if a bit belatedly. What *are* those glorious looking sweet treats with the frosting flowers? They're so beautiful! And your mom: Everything about her says she's *A Personality*!

On the mundane local front: Nice day today, I did some yoga/stretch-y stuff, took a 5.14mi walk, did a light weight strength workout, rode my stationary bike . . . then made pizza from scratch. 😉 Not a thing I do often: Higher calorie, higher effort. I've been working on my crust, trying to get the right ratio of whole wheat flour (for flavor, texture), chickpea flour (little extra protein), vital wheat gluten (for protein, rising/chewy-ness). Since this is a rare thing, I'm keeping notes, think I'm getting closer to where I want it to be. Excessively many nice veggies on top, always.

rg78hf2tbyon.jpg

I just joined the Medicare flock near the end of 2020, so still figuring that out. I'm very, very fortunate that my former employer provides a good Medicare supplement plan (including drug coverage), so my out-of-pocket so far is very manageable. Even more fortunate, I worked for the same organization (big university, but not a state/civil service kind of job) for my whole career, and because they had moderate salaries for the area, they offered really good benefits when I hired in (1978). No pension, but a good defined-contribution plan, and the deal was that after 25 years, one was vested for health care: If I retired, I got the same deal as current employees, for coverage, even when no longer working (or if working part time). No vision, super limited dental, but the basic health care deal was excellent. After having advanced-stage cancer in my 40s, I was motivated to figure out how to retire as soon as I could (lest I never live long enough to retire at all), and that *great* insurance coverage was a key piece of the puzzle for retiring early. They stopped offering that deal to new hires not all that long after I hired in, but they've kept the faith - thankfully - for those of us who hired in under the generous terms. I'm grateful (and lucky).

On the flowers front, there's still lots going on, some of it honestly more photogenic than this, but my current joy is the view outside my (second floor!) living room, off the deck: Some kind of ornamental cherry/plum (Prunus sp.), a nice dogwood (Cornus florida), and (just barely visible, poking a little globular bloom-cluster through the deck-rail) the most wonderfully scented Viburnum shrub. When it gets warm enough, I can open up the several awning windows in my living room, and the glorious scent wafts through the house.
    8lybyb78h8eu.jpg

That pizza looks so yum!!! And love your view. I am in NZ where we have free medical care which seems a million miles away from your system. Basically we get free hospital( although we can buy medical insurance which means private care, no waiting) The government subsidises doctors visits A visit can cost between$30-$50 Children free. We pay dental
    Interesting hearing about your plans
  • anawake13
    anawake13 Posts: 99 Member
    I count my blessings. My husband and I get a supplement to Medicare at no cost thanks to my former employer. My husband has a medical problem which has caused him to lose feeling from feet to mid chest but no diagnosis yet. With two neurologists, two rheumatologist a nephrologist and pc don't know what we would do if not for insurance. My heart goes out to those who struggle because of lack of good coverage. It's frustrating to not know the causes of problems AND then worry about the financials. So glad we got to retire early while we were healthy enough to enjoy it. Prayers to those of you in need.
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    anawake13 wrote: »
    I count my blessings. My husband and I get a supplement to Medicare at no cost thanks to my former employer. My husband has a medical problem which has caused him to lose feeling from feet to mid chest but no diagnosis yet. With two neurologists, two rheumatologist a nephrologist and pc don't know what we would do if not for insurance. My heart goes out to those who struggle because of lack of good coverage. It's frustrating to not know the causes of problems AND then worry about the financials. So glad we got to retire early while we were healthy enough to enjoy it. Prayers to those of you in need.
    I hear ya'. We went through cancer treatment with a family member who was on Medicare, and it enabled the family to come through the medical bills without going bankrupt.

I'm learning more about "aging" in combination with "losing weight". It takes longer to loose a pound (of course influenced by metabolism and activity level).
  • Tuppence26
    Hi everyone, great autumn weather continues🥰🥰inspired me to do a little gardening today. Tomorrow is town day, I go for a swim in town day so I am looking forward to that. Hope everyone is counting those calories💃💃💃
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,490 Member
    Good Morning and Happy Morning! Here’s to a happy and healthy week to all of you. 😎👍😎
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,746 Member
    Good Morning all and here's hoping the same for everyone! I am off for a dental cleaning this afternoon. Yuck. Since COVID the new procedures used are really uncomfortable. I mean cleaning has never been pleasant but now... I have had it done once late last year so I am due.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Good Morning all and here's hoping the same for everyone! I am off for a dental cleaning this afternoon. Yuck. Since COVID the new procedures used are really uncomfortable. I mean cleaning has never been pleasant but now... I have had it done once late last year so I am due.

Who knew they could make going to the dentist more unpleasant? 😁That made me chuckle! It's worth to be able to share a smile, though.