New Rules of Lifting (for Women) Group - Part 2

Options

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    ah, there are TWO threads...i'm goo dnow.

eating more is good: here is my blog on upping the calories http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AggieCass09/view/fueling-my-body-141041

that was 3 weeks ago and since then i'm down to 156.8 (down like 5 lbs). HUGE PROGRESS considering i've been stuck since JANUARY (yes its September)

there is something to lifting weights, eating more, and getting in the protein!

phase 1 work out A #4 tomorrow!
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey! I just realized that I was forgetting to count the weight of the bar in the amount of weight that I lift when doing squats. I do 80 pounds + the 45 pound bar. Go me! If only that was my body weight, I'd be feeling really buff, but alas, it is not yet.
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How in the world do you guys get all your protein. I'm ALWAYS short. I'm trying to do 40/30/30, but having lots of trouble.

I recently added protein powder (mainly in shakes and I even put some in my pancakes this weekend) but I'm still short by around 40g each day. And I usually don't have left over calories to even make up the protein shortage.

I eat eggs, chicken, salmon, greek yogurt, nuts, and cashew/almond/peanut butters all the time.

How do you guys do it??????? Need advice.

cottage cheese is a good high protein snack.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I think I need to cut my cardio down and bump my weights up. My weight loss has stalled and more importantly my strength/muscle gains have slowed as well. I am planning on 1) bumping my calories up to recommended NROLFW levels (2000 for workout days and 1750 for off days) 2) cutting out steady state cardio in favor of exclusive HIT and 3) chilling out a little. I am sure my recent medical/hormonal freakout is keeping my body plenty busy so I want to be kind to myself while I am solving this mystery.

I had my first cheat day in a good 3 months yesterday and my head's been killing all day. Yuck. Oh sorry. That was non-NROLFW related griping.

As for protein, Greek yogurt combined with protein powder is my one-two punch of protein-y goodness. It's easy for me to hit my protein req. and beyond with a dose or two of this each day.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have been doing intervals on the elliptical in addition to the weight lifting. I basically have been following the book's plan starting on stage 2. I didn't see any reason to wait to add it. I also do it on my rest days. I just wish I burned more calories. I wear my HRM and in 30 mins I only burn 200 cals. Of course the machine tells me I burned 400 which used to make me very happy. But I guess I rather know the real number. I just don't know how to burn more cals without killing myself or doing it for an hour which I really can't see myself doing.

As for the weights I think I need to go heavier. I have been adding weight with each workout but I'm still not seeing results. Today I did 35 lbs for squats but I think I am going to bump it up to 45 next time. I don't know if I can lift the barbell over my shoulders though. I have been using the Ez-curl bar, which is easier to lift because it's shorter. I guess I am afraid of going too heavy, for fear of falling over or something.

Thanks for the idea of combining protein powder with yogurt, I'll have to try that as a snack as soon as I get my new powder. I gave my brother in law the EAS I was using because it was causing digestive issues. I ordered Jay Robbs protein powder because it's only whey isolate which is supposed to be easier on the stomach. I hope it was worth it cuz that stuff is pricey!
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    This is part of my blog....I copy it here to have your opinion.

After 2 weeks, I am wondering if I am pushing hard enought? Are 70 pounds squats and deadlifts ok...or not? Are 25 pounds dumbbells to light? I am very unsure of how I am doing!!!! I have seen this link http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ the lady can deadlift 315 pounds!!! but she started with 135 pounds. Did I start too low??? This is one of the thing I find is really missing in the book. I have no idea if my weight is ok or not.

The day after, I am pretty soar but not too bad.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options

After 2 weeks, I am wondering if I am pushing hard enought? Are 70 pounds squats and deadlifts ok...or not? Are 25 pounds dumbbells to light? I am very unsure of how I am doing!!!! I have seen this link http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ the lady can deadlift 315 pounds!!! but she started with 135 pounds. Did I start too low??? This is one of the thing I find is really missing in the book. I have no idea if my weight is ok or not.

That says she was powerlifting though. Powerlifting is quite different from my understanding; a powerlifter performs three reps (or a very low amount) of a certain exercise. Whereas in the first stage of NROL, for example, you're doing 2 sets of 15 repetitions of squats... so 30 squats vs 3 squats if you were powerlifting. If you were only doing 3 squats altogether, then I'm sure you could lift a bit heavier.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I finally bit the bullet and did the first stage. There was about 10-15 big muscly men in the free weights section and it terrified me. I was close to tears I was so scared. I know it's stupid, but it's just the way I feel. I did most of my weights with eyes closed so I couldn't see if people were looking at me.

I ended up doing push ups from my knees. I felt stupid enough without doing them against a wall or a counter.

Prone jackknife I got the gym staff to help me with but I did them! Better than the trainer who showed me! They're hard, but they're really, really good.

Now to find out if I can find a program that makes me sore the next day. (I lift heavy, 15kg on squats, 26kg on row, 15kg on step ups, but that is getting higher next week)

Oh, one of the gym staff members mentiond I could do step ups with a barbell instead of dubmells. What are people's opinions?
  • idauria
    Options
    I just wanted to say that my HRM made me happy today. It's my birthday and my HRM has a picture of a birthday cake on the screen underneath the date! How cute!
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I finally bit the bullet and did the first stage. There was about 10-15 big muscly men in the free weights section and it terrified me. I was close to tears I was so scared. I know it's stupid, but it's just the way I feel. I did most of my weights with eyes closed so I couldn't see if people were looking at me.

It's not dumb at all. I still feel self-conscious in the free weights section of the gym, but it does get a little better each time I go and I'm slowly building more confidence. And congrats on the jackknifes, that's no easy feat! :flowerforyou:
    I just wanted to say that my HRM made me happy today. It's my birthday and my HRM has a picture of a birthday cake on the screen underneath the date! How cute!
    Happy Birthday, iduaria! Any fun plans for today? :)
  • idauria
    Options

I ended up doing push ups from my knees. I felt stupid enough without doing them against a wall or a counter.

Prone jackknife I got the gym staff to help me with but I did them! Better than the trainer who showed me! They're hard, but they're really, really good.

Now to find out if I can find a program that makes me sore the next day. (I lift heavy, 15kg on squats, 26kg on row, 15kg on step ups, but that is getting higher next week)

Oh, one of the gym staff members mentiond I could do step ups with a barbell instead of dubmells. What are people's opinions?

Don't let the big guys intimidate you. You're there for the same reasons they are. Congrats on the jackknifes, those are indeed hard!

I did step ups with a barbell yesterday. Actually it was an E-Z curl bar(the one that's 25 pounds and has the curved handles) with 15 pound plates on it to bring it to 40 lbs. In some ways it was easier because my hands weren't throbbing from holding dumbbells. I knew once I went up to this weight that I was better off putting the weight on my shoulders instead of my hands. I don't want to pull my arms out of the sockets, lol. But having the bar over the shoulders does change your center of gravity a little, you have to be careful not to pitch forward. All in all it was a good workout. I am scared to graduate to using the actual barbell though!
  • idauria
    Options

It's not dumb at all. I still feel self-conscious in the free weights section of the gym, but it does get a little better each time I go and I'm slowly building more confidence. And congrats on the jackknifes, that's no easy feat! :flowerforyou:
    Happy Birthday, iduaria! Any fun plans for today? :)

Thanks! Nothing special. My family and I went to dinner on Sunday to celebrate. I have to take the kids to gymnastics at 4:30 so I think we'll probably grab a bite to eat after that so I don't have to cook. I also have a coupon for a free cup of frozen yogurt at this new place that I really like so I think that's in my future today as well!
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I ordered Jay Robbs protein powder because it's only whey isolate which is supposed to be easier on the stomach. I hope it was worth it cuz that stuff is pricey!

That's what I use and I love it. No stomach problems at all! Yes, it's expensive, hate that! But it's the easiest way to get a big boost of protein!

So. I'm thinking of using the pull up apparatus to put the barbell on and make it a modified squat rack. I think I can lift the barbell high enough to balance it on the tricep dip handles, and then turn around and get in position for squats.

Am I courting danger? What do you guys think? I'm currently squatting with 25 lb. dumbbells and there's no way my hands will hold heavier weights. Then again, I'm about to start Stage 2, so maybe I'm worried for nothing?
  • idauria
    Options
    I ordered Jay Robbs protein powder because it's only whey isolate which is supposed to be easier on the stomach. I hope it was worth it cuz that stuff is pricey!

That's what I use and I love it. No stomach problems at all! Yes, it's expensive, hate that! But it's the easiest way to get a big boost of protein!

So. I'm thinking of using the pull up apparatus to put the barbell on and make it a modified squat rack. I think I can lift the barbell high enough to balance it on the tricep dip handles, and then turn around and get in position for squats.

Am I courting danger? What do you guys think? I'm currently squatting with 25 lb. dumbbells and there's no way my hands will hold heavier weights. Then again, I'm about to start Stage 2, so maybe I'm worried for nothing?

Is there something to prevent the bar from rolling off? That's the only danger I can think of. It's been a while since I've been in the gym so I am having a hard time remembering what the dip station looks like. Either way, be careful and good luck!

I am looking forward to tasting that protein powder. It shipped yesterday so it should be here soon. I bought it at amazon but it's from the vitamin shoppe. It was cheaper than buying it directly from them and gnc. I bought the 12oz bag in case I don't like it or it doesn't agree with me. If all is good then once I finish it I will order the larger one.
  • elizabethblake
    Options
    I think the tricep dip bars slant backwards a little bit, and there's rubber around the bars where you're supposed to put your hands. I think that will keep the bar in place. It's a thought! We shall see...

I use Jay Robb's unflavored whey protein isolate, so can't testify as to the taste. I'll check out vitamin shoppe's prices!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options

I wonder the same thing. I definitely started on the more conservative side of the weights because this is the first major weight lifting program I've ever attempted and wanted to make sure that I didn't hurt myself. I wanted to make sure that I had the form right before I started adding major weight. I'm at the end of Phase 1 and am deadlifting 85 lbs and squatting 45 lbs. Although for my squats I go all the way down not just thighs parallel to the floor.
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    I missed this thread rollover, too.... Glad to see it's so active!

Stupid question time: When you all are mentioning the weight that you're squatting, etc., are you including the weight of the bar? For example: I'm up to 45 pounds of plates for my squats, but that doesn't include the weight of the bar. I keep meaning to weigh my bar b/c I'm not sure how much it weighs. I've been seeing some of the numbers that you all are squatting, etc. and my eyes are bugging out of my head!! Very impressive!
  • idauria
    Options

Stupid question time: When you all are mentioning the weight that you're squatting, etc., are you including the weight of the bar? For example: I'm up to 45 pounds of plates for my squats, but that doesn't include the weight of the bar. I keep meaning to weigh my bar b/c I'm not sure how much it weighs. I've been seeing some of the numbers that you all are squatting, etc. and my eyes are bugging out of my head!! Very impressive!

You should include the weight of the bar and a standard barbell weighs 45 lbs. So you are squatting 90 pounds! Impressive! I can't wait until I am at that point.
  • BifDiehl
    Options

You should include the weight of the bar and a standard barbell weighs 45 lbs. So you are squatting 90 pounds! Impressive! I can't wait until I am at that point.

No way!!! I'm squatting 90 pounds?? Get the heck out! I thought I was only squatting 45 pounds. :love:
  • elizabethblake
    Options

I wonder the same thing. I definitely started on the more conservative side of the weights because this is the first major weight lifting program I've ever attempted and wanted to make sure that I didn't hurt myself. I wanted to make sure that I had the form right before I started adding major weight. I'm at the end of Phase 1 and am deadlifting 85 lbs and squatting 45 lbs. Although for my squats I go all the way down not just thighs parallel to the floor.

We all have to start somewhere, right? I'm in the last week of Phase 1 and I'm deadlifting 70 lbs. and squatting 50 lbs. I'm severely limited in how much I can squat because my gym doesn't have a squat rack. So I'm happy with 50 lbs. When I start doing Bulgarian split squats, I'll be happy to do them with my own body weight! ;o)

It's all individual, right? I think the important thing is to progressively increase the weights. I probably should have started heavier than I did, but with the weight set up in the gym, I'm about maxed out for now. I think I'll have to get a gym membership somewhere else...

And yes, Staci from the story is freaking awesome!!! What an inspiration!!!