60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• MyFieryGypsySoul
    MyFieryGypsySoul Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm female, 62 and needing to loose (forever) 110 lbs. ! ! ! I live alone so would welcome friendly chit-chat about most anything.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    . No good news - pain has not been abated - mobility has not improved. Hoping that the radiation treatments are the "magic bullet" as advertised. 'Cause, Lordy, this is hard to watch. I hate feeling helpless.

Thanks for the support, y'all.

:'(:'(:'(

Steve, thinking of you and yours.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,081 Member
    Options
    Happy Weekend peeps! Chasing a toddler and holding a newborn. It’s way fun since we haven’t seen the grandkids for a year, but boy, they wear you out. I guess that means I’m old! 🤣

Those kids keep you young, Karl. Think of it that way! And then take a nap after they leave. HAHA!

Took breakfast to my wife this morning. No good news - pain has not been abated - mobility has not improved. Hoping that the radiation treatments are the "magic bullet" as advertised. 'Cause, Lordy, this is hard to watch. I hate feeling helpless.

Sending strength and positive thoughts your way, Steve.

Every individual experience is unique, I know. But having gone through a cancer diagnosis, cancer caregiver kind of situation with my husband, I also know that each such situation is challenging and life-changing, whatever the outcome. This is tough stuff. Wishing for the best possible outcome, for both of you!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I'm female, 62 and needing to loose (forever) 110 lbs. ! ! ! I live alone so would welcome friendly chit-chat about most anything.

Welcome, MyFieryGypsySoul!

If you want chit-chat, toss some comments, questions or status updates out here, and I'm betting you'll get some chat in return!

Me, I'm F, 65, in maintenance after weight loss . . . and not only am I not fiery, I think I have a Chilly US-Midwestern Norwegian-Stoic Soul, if I have a soul at all. 😆 Variety amongst people is what makes interacting fun, I think! 😊
  • glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    @alteredsteve175 prayers to you during this difficult time. Before my husband passed suddenly unexpectedly at home, we oddly discussed whether we'd want to leave slowly or fast after we visited his former student who was in a coma after complications from a car accident. He'd said fast. He passed from a sudden heart attack at age 57 about 6-7 months later. I didn't have a chance to experience helplessness but I had guilt bad as a wife and nurse and felt I "should have caught it." But learnt later that he expressed symptoms to friends but didn't want to worry me. Right. But I hope this familiar phrase helps you or someone on mfp. tjn9ee01fnub.jpeg
  • Ara_the_halfelven
    Ara_the_halfelven Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Hi there, I'm a 65 yr old female and since I'm an ex-yottie I'm probably a fiery gypsy too. The fiery part applies anyway & it gets worse as I get older, I take after my grandmother.
    I have RA which I control with diet (no pills) and COPD following a TB infection. I'm also into weight lifting which seems to be best for controlling the COPD.
    I find being old is great, its the looking old I can't stand.
  • Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Happy Weekend peeps! Chasing a toddler and holding a newborn. It’s way fun since we haven’t seen the grandkids for a year, but boy, they wear you out. I guess that means I’m old! 🤣

Those kids keep you young, Karl. Think of it that way! And then take a nap after they leave. HAHA!

Took breakfast to my wife this morning. No good news - pain has not been abated - mobility has not improved. Hoping that the radiation treatments are the "magic bullet" as advertised. 'Cause, Lordy, this is hard to watch. I hate feeling helpless.

• Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    😥😔like summerskier I too am struggling for words that express my support. Although you can’t fix it , you are not helpless! I guarantee you are doing everything possible to comfort your wife.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    cathyb60 wrote: »
    Hi, I've been a member of MFP for about 9 years. I'm 69, bad knees and recently diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat. I could list all the reasons I'm here and all the reasons I'm not accomplishing my weight loss, but I know we've heard it all before. Apparently "lurking" in a group doesn't help so I am posting in hopes that it will help me help myself. I had been doing ok during covid but the last month or so I am starting to eat mindlessly and can't seem to stop. I want to lose 60-70 lbs. and maybe one day get on one of those flat bed kayaks! :)

Congrats on coming out in the open! Wishing you good luck on the journey!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Have a great day everyone!
  • tluisa311
    tluisa311 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am not over 60 but I've been looking for success stories and suggestions from people over 60 to help my dad get started on a healthier lifestyle! He took early retirement and his lifestyle is VERY sedentary right now, so his activities include eating, too much alcohol and watching TV. Do any of you use an activity tracker when you exercise? I'm thinking of buying one for my dad for Father's Day and I would love some brand suggestions!
  • annliz23
    Options
    I am not over 60 but I've been looking for success stories and suggestions from people over 60 to help my dad get started on a healthier lifestyle! He took early retirement and his lifestyle is VERY sedentary right now, so his activities include eating, too much alcohol and watching TV. Do any of you use an activity tracker when you exercise? I'm thinking of buying one for my dad for Father's Day and I would love some brand suggestions!

I use a garmin and my husband has a polar tracker
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hey, all. Just checking in. Nothing to report here - more tests this week. Fingers crossed for some good news

Went to the gym this morning. Felt good to pull the bar off the floor. It seems like, by lifting some physical weight, some emotional weight was also lifted. Weird, huh? Perhaps that's another benefit of lifting. Definitely have to squeeze the lifting workouts back into the weekly schedule.

Hi there, I'm a 65 yr old female and since I'm an ex-yottie I'm probably a fiery gypsy too. The fiery part applies anyway & it gets worse as I get older, I take after my grandmother.
    I have RA which I control with diet (no pills) and COPD following a TB infection. I'm also into weight lifting which seems to be best for controlling the COPD.
    I find being old is great, its the looking old I can't stand.

@Ara_the_halfelven - what's a ex-yottie? Don't know that term.

Welcome to all the new folks. Lots of great support here if you hang around. Please add me as a friend if you like.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I like my Garmin. If your dad is a "guy's guy" kind of a guy, get one that looks like a wrist toolkit for Seal Team 6. 😉

However, I liked my exercise loooong before I liked my Garmin.

If he has friends who are active (and might encourage him), ask them what brand they use, and get him one like theirs, maybe.

I mean this next in the kindest way possible: If your dad is as you describe, I don't think buying him a tracker will work, unless he's a gadget freak and could get hooked on it that way. Eating, alcohol, excess TV could be depression, or lacking a sense of purpose (but you know him best), or it could even truly be how he most *wants* to spend his time and has always dreamed of doing in retirement.

Do you live near him? If so, could you lure him out to spend time with you in ways that coincidentally involved doing something somewhat active (walking, hiking, landscaping projects, etc.)? Find volunteer opportunities or engagement opportunities that you could do together, or (if you're not near) that he could be lured into in some other way?

I understand and appreciate your concern, truly. Sadly, it's not possible to do personality or lifestyle transplants on other people, perhaps especially parents. Have you had a heart to heart talk with him, that you're concerned about his health and that you want to be sure he's around for you for a really long time and to enjoy (XYZ meaningful events in the future in your life)? (Example meaningful events, depending on your life choices: Graduation, PhD, career success, wedding, grandchildren, winning the Boston Marathon in your age group . . . .)

It's wonderful that you're so lovingly concerned for him. I hope you find a way to get through to him that his health is important, to him and to you. Hugs!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

Maybe a lower end Fitbit with hourly activity reminder (get 250 steps and hour). Try to get him walking and tracking his steps with Fitbit and yeah MFP for tracking food. Good luck!

• jdwags1
    jdwags1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI all, I'm back to actually be long term successful. I used this before (about 10 years ago or so) and went from 275 to 238. Well I retired from being a package delivery guy to a desk guy and until recently i was on the dark side of 300, unfortunately for me, I wear a lot of it on the inside so I hide it well, but my health doesn't care for it. Looking to drop about 100, and with that 3 BP meds, a diabetes warning and a CPAP machine. I want to be healthy for my grand-kids, my wife and myself since I'll be retiring again just after the first of the year.
  • annliz23
    Options
    jdwags1 wrote: »
    HI all, I'm back to actually be long term successful. I used this before (about 10 years ago or so) and went from 275 to 238. Well I retired from being a package delivery guy to a desk guy and until recently i was on the dark side of 300, unfortunately for me, I wear a lot of it on the inside so I hide it well, but my health doesn't care for it. Looking to drop about 100, and with that 3 BP meds, a diabetes warning and a CPAP machine. I want to be healthy for my grand-kids, my wife and myself since I'll be retiring again just after the first of the year.

Good luck