Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Airlines may start weighing plus size passengers

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I don't like it, but I also don't have a good solution. I don't mind the actual flying part, but for me all of the logistics involved with taking a trip by air are just too much. My family hasn't flown in years, because even on "cheap" airlines we're priced out. We do like to travel but we stick to the ground for now. I actually rather like car trips.

I haven't figured out what we might do for overseas travel. Do people still go by boat or is it all just freight? We'll have to travel like they did in the old days when you were gone for months or years. :D

You can go by boat from NY to the UK and it takes about 7 days...about $2,500 round trip per person. You can fly for about $800 round trip per person and be there in 7 hours.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Would be a whole lot easier to just increase the average weight the airlines use.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't like it, but I also don't have a good solution. I don't mind the actual flying part, but for me all of the logistics involved with taking a trip by air are just too much. My family hasn't flown in years, because even on "cheap" airlines we're priced out. We do like to travel but we stick to the ground for now. I actually rather like car trips.

I haven't figured out what we might do for overseas travel. Do people still go by boat or is it all just freight? We'll have to travel like they did in the old days when you were gone for months or years. :D

You can go by boat from NY to the UK and it takes about 7 days...about $2,500 round trip per person. You can fly for about $800 round trip per person and be there in 7 hours.

Oof. Well, the boat's out, then - I don't need to see that much of the Atlantic. Still, though, the $800 for one person could feed my entire family for a month. If all of us go, you're talking half of our grocery budget for the year - just on airfare! :scream:
  • bazookagraf
    bazookagraf Posts: 1 Member
    Back in the early 70’s, a barber was charging me more than his posted rates. His reason was because I had more hair. It’s all about the $$$.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I hate sitting next to very obese people. They always spill over into my seat. If someone can’t fit into one seat then they should buy two.
    I had a slightly bad experience at DisneyWorld because of sitting next to an obese person. So we didn't rent a car (4 families on vacation) and since we were all staying at the same Disney resort, we all rode the buses. On our way home one day, my brother in law was sitting on my left, and I was in the seat next to him against a pole (we're facing inward to the aisles). A lady and her family got on board and the bus was pretty packed already. She headed with her kids down the back where we were. She had to be at least 250+ on a 5'2 frame. I was just about to get up when my BIL pushed me back down and offered his seat to her. She gladly obliged. So now at EVERY STOP where the driver braked, she slid into me (remember I'm against a pole). My BIL totally did this on purpose and I saw the stupid smile on his face everytime we braked.
    I owe my BIL back. Still trying to figure out how to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Oh no!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I hate sitting next to very obese people. They always spill over into my seat. If someone can’t fit into one seat then they should buy two.
    I had a slightly bad experience at DisneyWorld because of sitting next to an obese person. So we didn't rent a car (4 families on vacation) and since we were all staying at the same Disney resort, we all rode the buses. On our way home one day, my brother in law was sitting on my left, and I was in the seat next to him against a pole (we're facing inward to the aisles). A lady and her family got on board and the bus was pretty packed already. She headed with her kids down the back where we were. She had to be at least 250+ on a 5'2 frame. I was just about to get up when my BIL pushed me back down and offered his seat to her. She gladly obliged. So now at EVERY STOP where the driver braked, she slid into me (remember I'm against a pole). My BIL totally did this on purpose and I saw the stupid smile on his face everytime we braked.
    I owe my BIL back. Still trying to figure out how to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

At least on a bus you can stand. Out of luck on a plane.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited May 2021
    So as a (now) normal weight person who has been glorying in the (now) remarkably comfortable economy cabins of the various Canadian airlines (air canada and westjet), I recently had the experience of flying in a brand new 737 Max.

The particular airline's 737-700's have cabins that are a bit "older" and "tired" with... no chargers! The 737-800 are glorious examples of comfort and modernity for economy seats. Chargers and screens even. Oh, I am sooo checking in to flights that are using them if I can!

The 737 Max so shiny and new... is a *kitten* piece of uncomfortable *kitten*. Jeez. Forget the row of soldiers where I expect to be able to sample everyone's halitosis as soon as masks are no longer "in".

No screens of course... there would have been no room for a flat one! Entertainment is on your smartphone! The aisle seat only has partial under the seat storage. The middle seat has the best storage, but... well, it IS the middle seat. The window seat "appears" to be nice and roomy due to the curvature (under seat storage more generous than aisle but less normal than middle seat)... but it was utterly uncomfortable if you were TRYING to do anything other than primly hold your knees together! Because the curve is at elbow high... not where your feet are. And most certainly a plus person would not be able to navigate the aisle without wafting some "kitten* to the people they move their *kitten* in front off!

All in all, as a just below average tall male (172.25cm)... apparently I need to move to below my current BMI 23 to comfortably fit in a 737 Max as configured....
  • Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member
    This issue has been debated for years. I can remember back in the 90s when this was one of the hot topics on talk radio that was sure to generate a lot of calls (especially on a slow news day).

If ever such a rule or regulation was implemented, the only people who would benefit from it are lawyers.