WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2021

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I love to grow iris in my yard. There may have been a few here when we moved in. Since then, I have acquired more when neighbours have thinned theirs and put a box of bulbs at the curb for anyone to take. Last year my dog walking friend and my husband each bought me iris bulbs as gifts. Those are the black and two tone ones that I posted. Last week in a fit of extravagance, I ordered seven more bulbs to plant next fall. Each is different--blue, black and red, black, red, purple and white. All have interesting names.

:) Jake has gone to get Bessie after her dental appointment. Sasha and Bernie have been nervous all day with her gone.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Iris have a very special place in my heart- My great grandmother used to raise/breed iris. After she passed away, my cousin and his wife did even more with the iris-going to many shows world wide. He has passed but his wife is still growing/breeding/showing. ( I guess that is what you call it- hybridizing is more like it I think)
    here is a link about them. https://wiki.irises.org/Main/Bio/HybridizerCaddAnnaDavid

I used to love to walk through Grandma Bee's iris garden- the colors and ohhhh the smells of them
    Debbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,526 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Janet – missed you!
    Rebecca – great pics !!!
    Jodi – welcome
    Pip – I am glad you like the heat, it is not something I have ever adjusted to - Does Kirby enjoy it as well?
    Yes go for the Chair!!!

Smiles, Kim in Northern California

He doesn’t enjoy the major heat like I do, I tolerate the AC during the 3 digit weather. I put a sweater on when inside, not a fan of ac much, but let him put it on for his and Yogi’s sake.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    cmfs7udg52nb.png

Welcome to all the newcomers here!

As a younger poster (54), a special welcome to those who are at the younger end of the age range. :)

This is a fast-moving thread, so don't feel like you have to read everything. Just jump into conversations when you feel like it.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    For the newcomers and those of us who have been here a while ... what is your favourite sport or exercise. :)

a50e64dycbs3.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited June 2021
    Options
    z9qh79e06zk1.png

It was nice spending some time this afternoon ... this chilly but sunny afternoon ... doing that rather than being on my computer.

Machka in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Iris have a very special place in my heart- My great grandmother used to raise/breed iris. After she passed away, my cousin and his wife did even more with the iris-going to many shows world wide. He has passed but his wife is still growing/breeding/showing. ( I guess that is what you call it- hybridizing is more like it I think)
    here is a link about them. https://wiki.irises.org/Main/Bio/HybridizerCaddAnnaDavid

I used to love to walk through Grandma Bee's iris garden- the colors and ohhhh the smells of them
    Debbie[/quote]

DEBBIE Ive spent some time looking at the pictures of the beautiful iris in the article you attached. What a wonderful family heritage. Thank you so much for sharing with us. I'll be checking out more tomorrow.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    HEATHER oh thank you, I've never heard of a hoopoe, so I looked it up, how BEAUTIFUL.

Between gorgeous iris and beautiful hoopoe, its been quite some time such having such fun in the wee hours of the night.
    >:)

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Well i have been awake since 1:30 am ,had some breakfast and will maybe go back to sleep in a bit..here is hoping anyway
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: dogs to GB for nail trim, BP, dogs to powerline,
    Bonus: beach stroll with Shadow and T.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, board meeting minutes, call for refund from Interpath for Joe’s labs paid on Feb statement, call C, call S, fire district: ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Joyful June:
    3-Re-frame a worry and try to find a helpful way to think about it. Whenever I start to worry about the debilities of aging (both Joe’s and mine), instead pick up some had weights or take the dogs for a walk.

Beth 5 mins on your stationary bike? That’s real progress for your knee. Well done!
    Lisa great roof cost news, and con VERY grats on beng only a year and a half from paying off your mortgage. Well done!
    Annie glad you’re back riding Henry. Makes me wonder about Katla and Arrow.
    Janetr “slipped out of place”? That sounds so painful!
    Rebecca look out world, Athena Rose is coming!
    Pip yes on the chair ;)
    Ginger “Progress not perfection” Yes!
    Brandi in TX what Machka said about doing 2 jobs.
    Welcome @effi098 Effi! This is a great group of gals for motivation, shoulders, and then there is always pip’s boot if needed ;)

Whoops! Phone just alerted to a 5.8 quake 98 miles W of Gold Beach. Praying no tsunami as our rural hospital is in the tsunami zone.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: leaner/stronger/kinder than May.
    daily: sit with Joe: 3, weigh/wii: 3/0/0; steps>6362=6580, vits=3, log=3, CI<CO=80, CI<250<CO=1, Tumble=3, Shadow=5, mfp=4, outside=5, up hill=4, clean 10=2.
    wkly: Sun: Mon: Tue: LD=1 Wed: TC=1 PW=1 Thurs: PW=1 Fri: TC= Sat: PW=, rX x4=.
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30:141.5 5/31:142.4
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.0
    bonus: AF=1 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    June is shaping up to be a busy month

• Pilates - about once a week.
    • Audax meetings - that's the long distance cycling club I'm a part of.
    • Designing another 50 km route for Audax. This one needs to be in southern Tasmania which is challenging.
    • Cycle a 50 km route. Plus shorter rides.
    • Run at least one 5 km distance.
    • Plant bulbs. I've got to get these things in or it will be spring with no flowers!
    • All-day work meeting tomorrow. :neutral:
    • A week off next week - some rest time, I hope! And cycling. I booked this week off to ward off the darkness. :)
    • Back to school! I'm taking a 5 week course called 'Understanding Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)' . It's all online and work-at-our-own-pace with no formal assignments, exams, etc.
    • Bees! My husband and I are booked for a course to build a Warre Hive at the end of June.
    • Plus, of course, my 2021 To Do List: getting organise, simplifying, etc. I've got 4 projects on the go right now and I "switch-task" between them.

That's all in addition to work and caring for my husband. :)

EDIT: Also ... the stair climbing challenge at work is to reach the height of Mount Ossa, the tallest mountain in Tasmania (1617 metres = 450 floors * 20 stairs/floor).

It is about noon on June 1 and I've done 20 floors so far. I've got a way to go. :)

Machka in Oz

Attended first Pilates class of June.
    Ran Audax Tasmania AGM.
    Planted bulbs. Ran out. That's OK. Stores don't have bulbs anymore.
    Attended the all day meeting at work on Wednesday.
    Started week off!
    Started climbing stairs toward the elevation of Mount Ossa. I've done 90 of the 450 flights.

:):relaxed::grin::smile: :smiley::relieved::sweat_smile::sunglasses::tongue: :yum:

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    I see Barbara (auntibk) has started working her way through Joyful June 2021.

June 2021: Daily actions to help you appreciate the little things and find more joy.
    "This month's theme is all about finding the joy in life, even when things are difficult. Research has shown that experiencing positive emotions in a 3-to-1 ratio with negative ones leads to a tipping point beyond which we naturally become more resilient to adversity. So let's train our brains to find the joy."
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/joyful-june

58nqmm1d198a.png

Funny that Wednesday's was: "Say positive things in your conversations with others" ... I struggled a bit but I did make a point to say something positive about the 7.5 hour planning meeting: It was nice to meet people in my area but who work elsewhere. It was the first time I had met some of these people.

Today's is "Take a photo of something that brings you joy and share it".

So here he is ... when he was a little bit younger. :)

1to6bopjga0x.png

Machka in Oz
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    That's one gorgeous cat, Machka.
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Morning again ladies, i was able to go back to.sleep.for a couple of hours,
    Going to pick up Homer in a bit and then bring him back here..
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😊👋💛