Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Airlines may start weighing plus size passengers

1235»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    In 2004 I flew on a very small plane in Costa Rica and all of the passengers and luggage were weighed. I had no problem with this, possibly because while in the USAF I had cargo aircraft load planning training, and so was well aware of the need.

The article is a little confusing because it mentions weighing both plus-sized passengers and choosing passengers using random selection.

I'd be against weighing plus sized people only, as it would then be mathematically impossible to achieve the stated goal of getting an average weight, and this practice would be ... fraught. I think it would be better to weigh everyone. Or if sampling is done, to make it perfectly clear that random selection is being used.

Been on a flight as well where passangers were weighted, to Alderney. I think the plane was for 10 people.
    To be honest, it might not be a popular opinion, but very obese people should always buy two seats. There's nothing worse than sitting for hours next to a person who flows over into your seat. And it's double terrible when you're on the spectrum. I don't want to touch people. They should stay away from my seat.

I'm not sure how unpopular that opinion is. I agree that if you don't fit into the seat, you should buy two seats. I paid for my seat and don't want someone else in it.

But also the airlines are trying to cram too many people in.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    In 2004 I flew on a very small plane in Costa Rica and all of the passengers and luggage were weighed. I had no problem with this, possibly because while in the USAF I had cargo aircraft load planning training, and so was well aware of the need.

The article is a little confusing because it mentions weighing both plus-sized passengers and choosing passengers using random selection.

I'd be against weighing plus sized people only, as it would then be mathematically impossible to achieve the stated goal of getting an average weight, and this practice would be ... fraught. I think it would be better to weigh everyone. Or if sampling is done, to make it perfectly clear that random selection is being used.

Been on a flight as well where passangers were weighted, to Alderney. I think the plane was for 10 people.
    To be honest, it might not be a popular opinion, but very obese people should always buy two seats. There's nothing worse than sitting for hours next to a person who flows over into your seat. And it's double terrible when you're on the spectrum. I don't want to touch people. They should stay away from my seat.

I'm not sure how unpopular that opinion is. I agree that if you don't fit into the seat, you should buy two seats. I paid for my seat and don't want someone else in it.

But also the airlines are trying to cram too many people in.

The cramming of more people into the plane seems to be done via reduced seat pitch, the width of the seats of the seats hasn't changed. While I'll blame the lack of sufficient leg room on the drive to add more seats to the plane, spilling into the seat next to you is due to our increasing width.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    xrj22 wrote: »
    Unfair and pejoritive to target those who appear heavy. Are they also going we weigh people who are heavier because they are over 6' tall? If they really need to weigh passengers, then weigh everyone. If the weight of all passengers (or all passengers in 1 section) is too high, then ramdomly pick people to move or remove until total weight is low enough.

But the real problem is that airlines are just trying to pack on too many people and not leaving any margin. Quit packing in more seats and over-booking flights.

And how much more are you willing to pay for "unpacked" flights? 10%, 25%, 50%?

We can complain about the lack of room on airlines, but the fact of the matter is, we are voting with our collective wallets for this. The market is providing other options for those willing to pay a higher price, such as Economy Plus seating.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,132 Member
    For the record I've been weighed getting on a flight. I think the plane ended up being smaller than they had anticipated and they had a lot of cargo and needed to make sure they would have enough fuel to get us from Vancouver to Hawaii.

I didn't read he article just saying I have seen this happen and it wasn't in private you basically stepped on a scale as you walked away from the gate.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Years ago there was a Candid Camera episode where passengers were weighed along with their luggage. If they were found to be too heavy, they either had to leave their bag or forfeit their in-flight snack.

I know most of you are probably too young to remember this show.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,428 Member
    edited June 2021
    ilfaith wrote: »
    Years ago there was a Candid Camera episode where passengers were weighed along with their luggage. If they were found to be too heavy, they either had to leave their bag or forfeit their in-flight snack.

I know most of you are probably too young to remember this show.

That would never fly (no pun intended) in today's environment.

Speaking of in flight snacks, we just flew for the first time since the pandemic. 2 of the legs were too short for any drink/food service, one they offered drinks, but no food.

The longest one they offered drinks and handed everyone a small pack of generic mini pretzels. Why do they even bother?

Also one of the flights was on a small regional jet, so small you couldn't put a traditional roller carry on bag in the overhead compartment. Couldn't see how a plus size person could be next to someone.