Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Options

Replies

• Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

On your MFP rounds, what calorie level got you those weight loss rates each time? What was your calculated TDEE based on intake and loss rate each round?

In 2013 (MFP #1) I averaged about 1450 calories a day, against a BMR that shifted from 1564 at the beginning and 1164 at goal, and a TDEE that was around 170% of BMR. I was walking for two hours a day, cycling to and from work and dancing (Northern Soul and Lindy) for between 4 and 6 hours a week. Towards the beginning I was running a deficit of about 1200 calories a day, and by the end the deficit had closed to about 500 calories a day.

The pattern in 2016 was similar.

This time around, I've not relied on calculators. Instead I've calculated my TDEE myself by logging scrupulously and weighing and measuring absolutely everything I eat and drink. It's currently about 167% of BMR. As at this morning's weigh-in, my TDEE is approximately 2293. I'm currently eating about 1550 calories a day, so I'm running a deficit of about 32%, which is a little higher than I was intending to run it (hence faster weight loss than previously). I raised my calorie budget from 1450 to 1550 last week, and this week I intend to raise it to 1700 to try to slow the loss rate a little. My calorie burn comes from two brisk daily dog walks that total 100-120 minutes, plus some gardening (some strenuous digging but also plenty of gentle weeding), plus the odd gentle cycle ride. I'm on the go most of the day though, so my NEAT burn is pretty high I think.
    I do think that some people may experience a yo-yo penalty in effective TDEE, via many rounds of extreme yo-yo-ing. Speculatively, the mechanism would be unnecessarily large loss of lean mass in the extreme cuts (high cardio, low calories, lots of salad-y foods, lowball protein) followed by regain (minimal/no exercise, lots of calories, very carb-y and fatty eating, still lowball protein). That's the yo-yo pattern I've often seen in female friends my age (65).

In my regain periods I usually remain pretty active (still walk the dog, still dig/weed, still fidget and move around a lot) but I return to suboptimal eating patterns (portion control slips badly, calorie input rises sharply, albeit from reasonably healthy nutrient-dense foods). I allow larger portions to become the norm.

Slightly lower muscle mass, adaptive thermogenesis, reductions in habits of daily life movement . . . would be a lower effective TDEE than one would have had without those things.

I calculate conservatively that my TDEE for maintenance will be around 300 calories a day lower than that of someone who has the same age, weight, height and activity profile as me. This will be a challenge that I'm trying to use the next year to mentally prepare for. That's why I'm in no rush to reach goal - I need the time to make the mental adjustment.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    What's this whole keto thing about "keep carbs/sugar low because it'll spike insulin level which makes it harder for your body to burn fat, etc etc, baloney baloney".... or something to that effect

Doesn't a person lose weight (aka burn off fat) regardless of what kinda diet they're on, given they are in a calory deficit?
    People who spout that really have no idea how stored body fat is actually burned. They've been brainwashed to think that carbs are evil.
    What's really STUPID is that countries that have normal weights for their WHOLE population eat a lot of rice (Asians). How do they explain that one?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Wait a sec. If Asians eat lots rice.. and keto hates on carbs.. then..

keto = rice discrimination = keto is essentially racist against asians?
    :D:D Hahaha! Everytime a I hear a keto person bashing rice (there's a real arrogant one on here now) I just point to Asian countries. And it usually shuts them up.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    In my regain periods I usually remain pretty active (still walk the dog, still dig/weed, still fidget and move around a lot) but I return to suboptimal eating patterns (portion control slips badly, calorie input rises sharply, albeit from reasonably healthy nutrient-dense foods). I allow larger portions to become the norm.

A piece of advice I read years back and still follow to this day: eat for the body you want. Whether you want to gain or lose weight, figure out what a person of your goal weight would eat as regular maintenance, and make THAT your new norm. Your body will over time change to be more in line with this new "normal." Yes, the change will be slower than if you actually calculate out a plus/minus x calories per day, but the benefit is you only have to change your eating habits ONCE. Reach your desired weight, your daily eating plan doesn't change one bit to sustain it, you've already been doing it for a while.
  • nossmf
    Options
    I recently remembered a conversation I had with the husband of my wife's best friend, back when I started lifting and began having noticeable changes in my physique. Basically, his advice boiled down to:

Keep your gains small; don't gain too much muscle.

Why? Because he was convinced that not only would added muscle magically morph into fat the second I ever stopped lifting, but also that I would be doomed to lose all joint flexibility and therefore be unable to take care of basic daily needs, such as dressing myself or bathroom hygiene. Well, I've been lifting for over a decade now and have no problems with either of these things, so I'm probably good to go.

My wife wasn't concerned about daily needs, but for years she feared I would turn into Arnold Schwarzenegger, a body type she doesn't find attractive. (She's fine with muscles...think Chippendale's...but not MUSCLE.) Despite me telling her repeatedly I could never reach that level of mass, whether due to genetics, lack of time to workout eight hours per day, lack of money/desire to eat enough food, lack of steroids...her brain may have agreed, but she still held this inner fear. But with time comes acceptance, and the fact I haven't blown up after years of lifting I think has quieted her inner fears, at least to the point she doesn't voice them out loud anymore.
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    Well IF someone is say 5'5" 250lbs and trying to get to 140lbs, having them eat maintenance calories for a 140lbs weight would be too large a deficit. Just the shift alone if exercising 1-4 times a week is like 700 calories.

I misunderstood what @nossmf was saying - I thought he meant that when you're approaching goal weight (say 10lbs away) then start eating as if you're already there, so that the transition is slower. Clearly it wouldn't work for someone with a huge amount of weight still to lose as I agree the deficit would be too big.

• nossmf
    Options
    Admittedly, the article I read was, IIRC, talking about transitions of 20 pounds or less. I can see how large changes would need to take a more incremental approach. Theoretically, somebody looking to lose 100 pounds could do this method multiple times, so someone in @ninerbuff example would start at 250, eat as if 230... then upon reaching 230, eat as if 210, etc. But I'm not an expert or medical professional, so take their advice over mine.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2021
    Options
    This all sounds familiar.
    Ahhh...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3088-eating-for-future-you

Basically yes, cap the deficit to reasonable, and as you get closer may have to do a 5% decrease to have a meaningful deficit.

But many have used the method and it worked fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    Back at myths. I admit I didn't re-re-read the thread, so maybe this is in there as a myth:

The idea that a healthy, efficient digestive system, and/or a 'good' gut microbiome, result in absorbing fewer calories from the same amount of food.

Huh? On top of that, if it happened, wouldn't that be tough for the body to manage without also absorbing fewer nutrients from the same amount of food, which seems like a Bad Thing?
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Eating whole foods will make you lose weight. One of the earliest I saw of this was from the South Beach Diet which claimed that no one would sit down and eat a whole loaf of whole grain bread, the way people do white bread. Wanna bet? If you told me I had to eat a whole loaf of bread, I would chose the whole grain, although a nice sourdough would be a close second.

I am a proponent of South Beach/ Med style eating as a way to build a healthful diet, but that doesn't mean you will necessarily lose weight if it doesn't help you control how many calories you are consuming.

Yeah, what? Whole grain bread is often delicious. If it's fresh I could absolutely polish off a loaf.
    Lol, I had someone tell me one time it's better to eat nuts than fruit. I could eat one whole mango, or a whole can of cashews. You can guess which one kills my calorie count the most.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My brother in law believed that one about nuts. He was always snacking on nuts. So much that he gave himself kidney damage and had to stop eating nuts. He was so confused because he was absolutely certain he was the nutrition expert.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Admittedly, the article I read was, IIRC, talking about transitions of 20 pounds or less. I can see how large changes would need to take a more incremental approach. Theoretically, somebody looking to lose 100 pounds could do this method multiple times, so someone in @ninerbuff example would start at 250, eat as if 230... then upon reaching 230, eat as if 210, etc. But I'm not an expert or medical professional, so take their advice over mine.
    I do agree if one has say like 10-15lbs to lose by the way. If one is used to eating what their goal maintenance is, then yes it would be much easier for transition.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Back at myths. I admit I didn't re-re-read the thread, so maybe this is in there as a myth:

The idea that a healthy, efficient digestive system, and/or a 'good' gut microbiome, result in absorbing fewer calories from the same amount of food.

Huh? On top of that, if it happened, wouldn't that be tough for the body to manage without also absorbing fewer nutrients from the same amount of food, which seems like a Bad Thing?
    Yeah the new "gut" microbiome is creating the next scam for supplements.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    My personal pet peeve
    “Cut out all sugar”
    “White sugar is the devil”

And all variations of the same.

If I have the spoons for it? I generally respond with a deadpan “If you don’t eat sugar you will die very quickly.”

I also really hate this one’s corollary “It doesn’t have sugar in it. I used honey”

Which will, if I have zero spoons, earn a hard eye roll. If I do have spoons I will inform them that a person’s pancreas can’t tell the difference between white sugar and honey. And their “it doesn’t have sugar, I used honey!” can be very harmful to a diabetic.

• Bella_Figura
    Options
    https://thebeautybrains.com/2014/04/can-skin-lotion-make-you-fat-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-27/

Clearly the fat-absorption-through-the-skin myth has been around a while...
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My personal pet peeve
    “Cut out all sugar”
    “White sugar is the devil”

And all variations of the same.

If I have the spoons for it? I generally respond with a deadpan “If you don’t eat sugar you will die very quickly.”

I also really hate this one’s corollary “It doesn’t have sugar in it. I used honey”

Which will, if I have zero spoons, earn a hard eye roll. If I do have spoons I will inform them that a person’s pancreas can’t tell the difference between white sugar and honey. And their “it doesn’t have sugar, I used honey!” can be very harmful to a diabetic.
    Not to mention when people think brown sugar is more healthy than plain old white granulated sugar.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nossmf
    Options
    Not to mention when people think brown sugar is more healthy than plain old white granulated sugar.

I rarely use brown sugar, except on oatmeal. I guarantee you I use a LOT of brown sugar then! lol