What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I rode (a horse, not a bike) for an hour.

I always enjoy people who say 'you just sit there'.

...No.

It's great exercise. I dated a girl in high school who didn't have a saddle that fit me, so I learned to ride bareback. Talk about a workout! And we'd go out for hours. I would barely be able to walk the next day!

My wife can't ride any longer but I miss riding horses. I'm not sure I'd hold up well any longer, though.

I've only recently started getting back into it, once my general fitness improved some (and I got light enough not to feel bad for the horse). I'd missed it so much and I love it - but also yeah my thighs are on fire a LOT, lately.

I did a lot of bareback as a kid. Quintessential kid with a halflinger pony and I'd just go off for hours. It was a good childhood!
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    edited June 2021
    Thoroughly Cleaning the house only

Had a deep tissue massage last night with the main focus on my glute and upper back areas 😅

Massage DOMS are definitely a thing
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    edited June 2021
    Friday
    7 mile walk

Saturday
    Climb.
    I wasn't in particularly good form. I went to Vauxwall for the first time since lockdown, and didn't send much of note at all. I left my jumper there, so I may go back tomorrow.

They opened a new arch, (the gym is in railway arches) and the grading there was bonkers. Getting a v1 felt like a solid victory.

2 hour session.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Cycled 80km while geocaching. That's all, really.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Experiencing a few days' burnout and/or failure of adulting. 😆

Thursday: Half hour of yoga/stretch/foam roll, helped with learn-to-row class, rowing there a little more than usual, but still not much.

Friday: No formal exercise. At. All.

Saturday: Helped with learn-to-row class again, entirely boat-carrying and dockmastering (basically traffic control + steering instructions) - we needed to get the class, which is now all out in singles (mostly wider recreational ones), off the water fairly quickly because wind was picking up and a storm front coming in.

Later, I did 2k rowing machine just to check the box for the C2 Juneteenth Challenge, only moderate pace (2:28.5, 23spm, HR <70% reserve except for 15" above (heh), 2' CD), so not really a workout.

The learn-to-row class has reached the point where they're like atoms in Brownian motion, all over the river in random patterns, in singles, almost running into each other but as if repelled by unseen forces at the last moment (we hope).

They haven't figured out how to go straight, they forget to look where they're going, there's supposed to be a traffic pattern of virtual lanes (like cars, stay closer to the boat's right side of river, i.e., starboard, which is the rower's left side because going backwards) and they're mostly not in that pattern. Today, there was also a bass fishing tournament, which involves fast-ish power boats anchoring most of the time, but roaring at top speed between fishing spots in between. It's a fascinating combination! Well, "fascinating" is one word . . . .

We've had some storms lately during my scheduled rowing times, and I've been lazing about instead of doing something else. This languishing will pass; it always does. 🤷‍♀️
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    The last time that I faced a prolonged period of real suffering during a race was in August, 2018. That changed today. The Patriot Half was held in Massachusetts in early morning winds that calmed down and turned into a hot, humid early summer day. This was my sixth race at the 70.3 mile distance (1.2m swim, 56m bike, 13.1m run).

Recap:

Swim: Windy conditions caused a very choppy swim, leading me to have trouble sighting the buoys and swimming a straight line. Contact with other swimmers and having trouble getting good breaths due to the chop made it seem harder than it was. My "normal" 42min swim turned into 48 minutes.
    Transition #1 : no issues except getting the arm coolers on over my wet body, lol. (Should have rolled them inside out before hand!)

Bike: This was a new, slightly more hilly course than the one I rode in 2017, but it was not bad. Some issues with car traffic and rough pavement in patches, but I worked around them. We had set a power output/speed target of 165W/18.2mph for an expected 3:05:00 bike split, hoping this would leave me plenty of gas in the tank for the run. The conditions turned out to be hotter, and I went through all my fluids, but noticed a constant stream of water (sweat) running from my helmet and onto the bike. I clearly needed to take in more than the 3.5bottles I brought.
    I also started to notice some gastric distress at about mile 40 of the bike. This would come back to haunt me later. I overcooked the bike slightly, finishing in 3:01:22, but my power was off the charts (240-260w for about 90 minutes of the ride, NO BUENO)

Transition #2: I knew that I was in trouble by this point. Upon dismounting, athletes usually run pushing their bikes to the racks. I walked. When I got to my rack spot, I sat down and did a leisurely change from cycling to running gear. That's not normal for me. I also drank some fluids and consumed a gel as I trotted out to the run course.

Run: Though its normal to feel "dead legs" when starting to run after spending 3 hours on the bike, my fatigue was immediate, widespread and overwhelming. I trotted out through the run exit chute and onto the run course, and just began walking. My legs were tired, certainly, but I'm used to that. This was a case of being very much energy depleted: fluids, calories, electrolytes, muscle fatigue, stomach distress, etc. Not a pretty picture. I forced myself to walk to the mile 3 aid station and stopped there to consider whether to take a DNF (Did Not Finish) or walk/jog for several more hours to complete the course. I decided to continue out of respect for the race, as well as to try to use the run as a way to take notes on how to deal with this in the longer race in Chattanooga in Sept. It took me 3 hours to half walk, half shuffle to the finish. (last time, my run split was 2:10:00) When I finished I took the iced towel from the volunteers and spent 40 minutes in the tent before I was able to stand again. I was truly gassed.

I finished the race in 7 hours, which is 40-60minutes slower than my previous efforts. I believe the combination of inadequate fitness, overbiking in the heat/humidity and the gastric distress were more than I could solve for today while running.

I'm hoping the lessons from this subpar outcome will be a blessing in disguise as I train over the summer.

TL, DR version: Finished the race, but blew up on the run. Better luck next race!
  • AnnPT77
    @Djproulx, congratulations on finishing: That's huge! I'm sorry it turned out to be . . . a learning experience? Better next time, for sure. You're an inspiration!
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    An almost 5 mile hike with a decent incline. It was a beautiful day 😌
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Saturday I completed an 8 mile run and Sunday an easy pace 6 mile run. Legs are feeling really good after a 32 mile week, I am still about 30lbs overweight but running is much easier now that when I started at 280lbs.
  • Djproulx
    KevHex wrote: »
    Saturday I completed an 8 mile run and Sunday an easy pace 6 mile run. Legs are feeling really good after a 32 mile week, I am still about 30lbs overweight but running is much easier now that when I started at 280lbs.

Nice weekly run mileage!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2021
    @Djproulx - just to take on a triathlon at over 60 is incredible. To finish one where you were in pain is also really inspiring. Lots of things weren't ideal, so that's amazing. I'm glad you got through it and, even though you were in pain, seemed to do the run portion in a smarter way and not destroy your body and more. Congrats on the finish.

I train year round and I'm not in any sort of competition speed right now. You're training and racing! That's a huge win in and of itself!

Also, if most of us would ever have the gumption to even try a triathlon, I think we'd be thrilled just to finish.
  • Djproulx
    @Ann,
    @Mike,

Thanks for the nice words. After getting a chance to look at my data, I believe that I made a rookie mistake that caused most of my problems. A basic rule of triathlon is that you can't treat it like a bike race. The saying is: "Ride the bike split you SHOULD do, not the split you COULD do." I guess that I forgot that during the long layoff from racing. I was having trouble reading my power numbers on my watch, and may even have had a wrong data screen displayed. As a result, I didn't stay focused on the numbers and rode WAY too hard. My ave power output was 249watts (instead of 160) and over 285 watts for several 10 minute stretches.

This is a mistake that many people make in their FIRST tri, not after completing dozens of them! I guess I just needed a hot, sweaty walk in the sun to remind me of why we don't ride that hard in races, lol!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 980 Member
    I went climbing again. I haven't recently done two days in a row, but I wanted to pick up the jumper I left at the gym.

It was not bad. I was slightly better than last time, although I was out of form yesterday.

I got an 8 mile walk in after the climb.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Strong Lifts
    Squats 5x5 105lbs
    Landmine Overhead Press barbell + 5lbs
    Deadlifts 5x5 135lbs
    Landmines twists barbell only

Pre-workout: extensive squat warmup sets and form work
  • MikePfirrman
    Long(er than usual) hike today.

5ic1XsZZkmlpJgUGwKg5y2.jpg

Wiped the young dog out so hard she fell asleep ON OUR CONSOLE.

She's beautiful. Reminds me of my Chloe, that I lost a few years ago to cancer. She was a remarkable dog (total mutt, but fantastic).

Did 90 minutes of easyish cardio today. 45 on the rower in the garage, then 30 on the LateralX, then the Assault Bike until 90 minutes.
  • Xikaiden
    Xikaiden Posts: 37 Member
    Morning (for daily steps and to avoid the high temps later in the day)
    3hr walk

Afternoon
    Various warmup exercises
    Ab exercies
    4x8 Pull ups
    4x12 Barbell incline bench press
    4x15 Chest supported row
    4x12 bench dips
    4x15 Dumbbell fly
    4x15 incline dumbbell bench press
    12 min on Treadmill
  • AnnPT77
    Sunday's usually rest day, but as reported upthread I'd been languishing lately, so since it was hot (just under 90F, around 60% humidity) but at least not storming or threatening:

* 16.33mi easy pace recreational bike ride, mostly in the trail system but a little bit through the neighborhoods
    * 40' strength training after I got home.

Despite the slacker-tude, Garmin says 436 intensity minutes for the week, which isn't terrible, I think.
  • pabmac
    pabmac Posts: 53 Member
    Today was supposed to be a rest day but I think I worked harder than I meant to 🤣 I went to the lake and went swimming, hiking and paddleboarding. However, it was way more fun than my usual workouts. The rest of the week I alternated running (which I do love) with whatever at-home workout I felt up for. Yesterday was one I’ve been struggling with and it was much easier this time so yay!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited June 2021
    Hard interval day. Temps finally broke. Back to our "normal" highs of 102 to 103 for late June.

Did 8 X 500m w/ 5 minutes between for weight supersets (typical set would be like 10 pullups, 16 weighted squats or lunges and 16 pushups). Works out to be almost an hour exactly. Around 825 calories burned on the hour.

Tough, even with the "cooler" weather. Garage was 94 degrees. Got some tech shirts in the mail, after I worked out, that cool when you sweat. Could have used one today. Next 3 days are easier Steady State days. Swamp Cooler is set to arrive this week or next. Home Depot can't decide on the delivery date (they have given me one date this week and another the first week of July).