What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    [
    I hope you'll forgive me popping in when I haven't been participating in the thread for a while, with - sigh - something that may or may not be interesting in context.

Compared to other sports (that I admittedly know less well), I think rowing competition and training - maybe particularly at the "engaged amateur" level - is interesting and a little odd......

T.....he full year training plan I did (but do no longer) was a set of fairly complicated cycles (provided to me by a NCAA Div I women's coach), designed to peak at a race of choice (Masters Nationals would be a common race to want to peak for). Depending on phase, there were different lengths and frequencies of workouts described as technique, aerobic, lactate tolerance, race-pace workouts, anaerobic threshold, or power. These were sometimes combined on a particular day. It had 13 4-week cycles, each with an overall focus (aerobic, specific aerobic, sharpening, sprint racing, peak, distance, fall racing. (I also did a shorter plan (IIRC 3 months), same source, designed to peak for a specific regional indoor race; it had a similar structure.) .....

......The sort of general, high-level calendar approach for a lot of on-water rowers is to race through sprint season (with focused training between races, including technical things like starts, plus tapers before races), then devote Fall to early Winter to aerobic base (lots of long, slow distance (LSD)), and to higher than usual levels of strength training in Winter. The Fall head races are a way for teams to test their endurance, check the competition, and stay motivated (plus maybe enjoy racing outdoors in sleet :lol: ). The latter half of the Winter season starts to increase the number and intensity of shorter work pieces, prepping for Spring racing. (Obviously, this is a very high-level, generalized characterization of the seasonality.)

....After that ridiculously long essay about rowing training that will be boring to most people, possibly everyone, I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread, with apologies. :flowerforyou:

Ann, regarding the bolded: (whips out his Training Peaks annual training plan, performance management chart, etc.) this makes some sense to me. Though I obviously don't understand rowing specific terms, I can point to aerobic base work, technique sessions, anaerobic threshold(blocks out the pain!) and power based sessions in my calendar. Also common to both training plans is the idea of specific energy systems focus during specific times of the year, based on pre-season, build, race season, post season recovery, etc.

So thanks to you and Mike, I learned a bit about rowing today. :)

• MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Saturday- was a rest day however spent the day outdoors and walked 5KM.
    Sunday- TRX on the go+ rebuilding staircase to basement- burnt over 1000 calories according to HRM yesterday.
    Today- finish building stairs so I can hopefully get back to my basement workout room (haha) and if not- going to do a youtube cardio workout of some sort upstairs.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    Easyish 1 hour row today again. Pace getting a bit faster, as are SPM (strokes per minute). Avg. SPM was closer to 20 than 19 today and kept HR relatively flat. Pace was around 2:26 or so, maybe slightly faster. I can't remember. Well over 12K meters. I think 12,400 for the hour.

Until 45 minute mark or so, I had some zip in my leg drive. Fell off a bit at the end but that felt good. Form is improving as well.

Was asked to participate in two Beta tests this week -- one is like Zwift for the rower. The other one is interesting. It's an AI program that uses video to analyze indoor rower form. I have to be careful with that type of stuff as I don't want it consuming my time, which is already spread quite thin.

As an aside to what Ann was saying, if this year's OTW season is cancelled, I expect a whole lot of indoor rowing records to go down. You have world class athletes (real rowers) at their prime with no where to race. An Aussie female rower on their Olympic team already "accidentally" broke the half marathon record on the indoor rower. I think it's the same rower that Ann has posted up doing the 2K on an Erg in the past.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Upper body and 2 short walks :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    edited April 2020
    Today a 48 minute interval workout, each interval is 4 minutes total, and this 4 times

* 5/5, 3/3, 1/1 kettlebell snatch
    rest of the time some leggy cardio variations like high knees, kick over chairs left and right, step ups, etc.

* 5 reverse pushups
    core variations, like leg lifts, push ups, bicycle, get ups. 5 more reverse pushup after 10 reps each

* 10 pushups or variations thereoff
    back/bum variations, like hip thrusts, swimmer, superman. 10 more pushups after each 10/20 reps.

Not sure what it's good for, but writing a report now will be difficult as my arms are falling off :D
    I kind of made this up on the spot when an online workout that promised to be tough consisted of a few exercises and 3 minutes sitting and doing nothing after each exercise.
  • Djproulx
    Next two weeks will be recovery focused to maintain fitness, since no race build needed.

Bike split: 1:10:00
    focus on power outputs to improve high end aerobic endurance and increase ftp. Warm up of 20 minutes various power/cadences, then ladder of 5, 10, 15, 10, 5 minutes going up to 90% of FTP and back down. 10min cooldown.

Run split: 40 minutes
    "Minimum Form Pace" run. idea is to run as slowly as possible while maintaining perfect form. (chest upright, forward lean, footstrikes, etc.) Purpose is to build a strong motor map to help when fatigue really sets in during a race.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Finished building our stairs super late last night.
    Workout tonight will be a TRX on the go and a 2 km walk for the pup.
  • alexmose
    1 mi easy run - had to quit bc too many stressful thoughts
    COVID test -v stressful
    3 mi light run - release the stress
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    Decided to add a bit more structure to my Tuesday workout. Did 5 minute W/U on the rower, then 2 minutes hard, 3 easier (intervals), repeated 11 times total. No true rest, all active rest. Today was my first workout around 80 degrees. I'm going to try to make a go of working out all Summer outside, but I'll have to move it to the early AM in around a month. Rest of the week isn't supposed to be as hot as today. Tucson gets to be around 92 in the AM during the hottest months. I'll be working out at around 90 degrees in the Summer, so I'm going to really slow down the paces accordingly.

My HRM app dropped at the end. I was so ticked off. I had 1020 calories burned in 65 minutes. Not that it matters all that much (my rowing app recorded the HR average for each interval) but when you're a data junkie, that's annoying. Something gratifying about seeing your HR on a colored graph in real time, not on a static chart.

The 11 "hard" intervals averaged around 2:05 pace and the easy paddles around 2:30, I think. Over 12K meters for the hour -- 12.5K I believe.
  • Djproulx
    JimDew wrote: »
    ffqw0fr3ar2n.png

Was very blustery and chilly. Snowflakes in the air.

Spring? Where are you????

I second that. Ready for better weather in Connecticut. Training for a race, or simply running for fun?
  • Djproulx
    JimDew wrote: »
    I second that. Ready for better weather in Connecticut. Training for a race, or simply running for fun?

Just a maintenance run. I’m at 85 miles for the month.

I’ve a bad feeling there won’t be many races to train for. :(
    [/quote]

I'm afraid you may be right....
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,133 Member
    Outdoor spring bike ride---50 plus minutes absolutely gorgeous day!
  • kiramommy08
    kiramommy08 Posts: 44 Member
    50 minutes of treadmill
    49 minutes of elliptical
    10 minutes of squats and lunges
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    AM: One hour of intermediate step aerobics
    PM: T25 Total Body Circuit & 20 mins. Pilates
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Riverbank cycle. 30 mins.
  • Djproulx
    One hour indoor bike session today. twenty minutes of warm up, then two rounds of 15min @threshold w/3 min recovery between threshold efforts. Ten minute cool down.

Will do 25 min with swim resistance bands later today.
  • alexmose
    lower body work. i need to get off this forum and do some CARDIO. hopefully will get a call that says whether or not i have COVID, so trying not to think about that