What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Saturday:
    Built new patio with sidewalk cement tiles and rocks. It was exhausting and my apple watch said I hit my move goal 22x.

Sunday:
    Finished new patio, 3 walks with pup and TRX Lean Body (I sub out the side planks with running in place, burpees, jumping jacks...I've never been able to do them with or without the straps).

Today:
    Our new basement flooring arrived- all 2600 lbs of it. Lifting that from the truck up the back stairs down to the basement should be enough today!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Chest/triceps, 10 mins of stairs, short jog and sprints, and 1 HIIT-wanna-be 20 min session. Probs a walk or two later. Only at 7.5K steps right now.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    AM: 45 minutes of intermediate step aerobics
    PM: Leslie Sansone's Walk, Run, Lift - 2 miles
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just a brisk walk in the treadmill and some weight training.
  • distortedvision78
    distortedvision78 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Went cycling at 6am for first time this year. My gym is closed because of the lockdown. My legs are still aching. But I'm going to continue every weekday morning until the lockdown is lifted:

screenshot-550.png
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Work is silly. I did 8 a.m. to 10.30 p.m. today.

After that, I did a finger board session:
    Dynamic stretches; "hill" sprints on the stairs; band warm up; warm up finger boarding; max effort (10 second hang on the 15mm rung for reps was my best effort- I was well chuffed); finger curls; yoga to end.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Bike trainer work today. 71 minutes of endurance w/surges.

15 min warmup @ various cadences/power
    3 x 17 minute blocks (15min @aerobic pacing, 2min surges @threshold pacing)
    5 min cooldown

Plan calls for a shakeout run later...but I'm not feeling it at the moment.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Had another 5AM workout planned today on the rower. Didn't feel 100% waking up, but I thought I'd try to go ahead with the workout and just do shorter "sprints". So I programmed the computer to do 4 minutes easy, 1 hard -- repeat 12 times. Got through 7 of them before I said "no mas". Did 25 minutes easy as a cool down to keep my 1 hour a day, six times a week streak alive. This is the first time in a while that I gave up finishing a planned workout and had to go to Plan B.

Could be several things why my body is not enthusiastic right now. I've upped my meters to the most I've ever done (300K this month). I've had to move my workouts to 5 AM to avoid the noon heat (and I'm not an AM workout guy naturally), so I'm doing them on zero caffeine. I also have recently added back in more lifting and leg work two times a week, in addition to the rowing. Last, I haven't had a "deload" week in around 2 months. At 55, I listen to my body pretty close. Right now, it's telling me to take it easier the rest of the week.

With that said, my workout today still burned 875 calories in an hour.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Must be something in the air...

I woke up early and wasn't feeling it myself. Tried to get through my 28 minutes of C25K but at the 21:30 mark had to stop and walk for a bit. Was running on empty, didn't eat before I ran (just a cup of coffee) and was gassed. Walked for 2:00 and ran the last 4:30.

I figured its not like I'm training for anything just trying to get fitter and lose some weight so if I don't finish it... meh.

I tried some new leg exercises yesterday that might've had some affect, too. Tomorrow back to some yoga!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Had another 5AM workout planned today on the rower. Didn't feel 100% waking up, but I thought I'd try to go ahead with the workout and just do shorter "sprints". So I programmed the computer to do 4 minutes easy, 1 hard -- repeat 12 times. Got through 7 of them before I said "no mas". Did 25 minutes easy as a cool down to keep my 1 hour a day, six times a week streak alive. This is the first time in a while that I gave up finishing a planned workout and had to go to Plan B.

Could be several things why my body is not enthusiastic right now. I've upped my meters to the most I've ever done (300K this month). I've had to move my workouts to 5 AM to avoid the noon heat (and I'm not an AM workout guy naturally), so I'm doing them on zero caffeine. I also have recently added back in more lifting and leg work two times a week, in addition to the rowing. Last, I haven't had a "deload" week in around 2 months. At 55, I listen to my body pretty close. Right now, it's telling me to take it easier the rest of the week.

With that said, my workout today still burned 875 calories in an hour.

At my age, this would certainly have caught up to me, probably sooner than 8 weeks. ;)
  • GarysGirl81
    GarysGirl81 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I worked out for the first time in idk how long. Did a two mile walk on an outdoor track today. Not that impressive I know, but have to start somewhere.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    I worked out for the first time in idk how long. Did a two mile walk on an outdoor track today. Not that impressive I know, but have to start somewhere.

That's fantastic and don't underestimate that. Fitness has never, ever happened by accident. You have to take the first steps. At age 42, I blew my meniscus off the bone -- shredded -- "irrepairable" said the doc. I was at my heaviest then, around 255, and horribly out of shape. I couldn't walk for a year, literally, couldn't bare any weight the pain was so bad. I stared out with just turning the stationary bike a few cranks in therapy. Once I could walk again, I kept walking as much as I could tolerate. At first it was just a few hunded feet. Then a mile, then 4 miles every day at lunch. I lost all my weight and replaced a lot of it with muscle and have kept fit for over 10 years.

Once you make that decision, it gets better if you just stay at it everyday! I promise.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Woops! Did an interval training session of 35 minutes over lunch, and stretched a bit. Then went for a run tonight, focussing really on breathing and on staying slow, and increased my current running distance from 5 to 6.7km. I could have easily continued, but didn't want to increase too much. Wasn't out of breath at all in the end. The weather was a very soft, comfy drizzle. Just perfect for running and for forgetting everything around you.
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    30 minute run, 30 min weight training, 10 min core
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    3.2 mile run today put me at 126.8 with a goal of 130 miles! Going to nail it this month plus some extra!
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Legs and an hour walk. Tiring work day but got it done!! Happy Tuesday.
  • BlG_FN_ROB
    BlG_FN_ROB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises today

3ecreoggvbdw.gif
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Ran ~1 mile and did a lot of stretching. Allergy season + working a lot + just feeling yucky has meant my workouts have taken a huge hit.
  • sn2ess
    sn2ess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I took it easy today and just did some walking: 15 mins., then another 10 min walk and finished the night off with a 2 mile walk...all out in my backyard lol
  • MikePfirrman
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Have only had one cup of coffee since I had the flu in late February. Since I've moved my rowing machine workouts on the deck to 5 AM, decided to get up a bit earlier today (4:10 AM) and had a cup of coffee. What was supposed to be an easy workout turned into an Anaerobic Threshold workout! Not a great idea. I need roughly 1500 meters to hit my target of 300K meters tomorrow for the month (averaging 10K meters a day).

I decided to give myself a bit of a "reward" for tomorrow's workout and do an easy 2K warmup on the rower and then finish the hour on my Assault Bike. Haven't done that bike in a while and it's significantly easier than the rower. A lot of Masters rowers, world-class ones that I'm friends with, have told me that recovery on the rower is so hard they don't do it. They mostly bike for recovery. I find to do recovery on the rower, I have to sacrifice power or SPM (strokes per minute), one or the other.

That was my issue today. Even at 20 SPM, I'm gaining muscle endurance. My average strokes, even at the end of the hour today, were close to 85 lbs average/130 lbs peak force. So that's similar to doing a 80/90 lb deadlift, 20 times a minute, for an hour solid. To get where I want to (and race regionally and be competitive again), the average force needs to be around 100 per stroke/peak forces around 145. According to my ErgData app, I also had tremendous "zip" today in my strokes, averaging 1.9 meters a second on my drives (how fast I move up the rail). That's gone significantly up in the last month. It was something like 1.7 or 1.6 at the same DF (drag factor). There's kind of an unwritten training rule of rowing -- never sacrifice your power per stroke, only your SPM average to do proper Steady State (easy cardio) workouts. I'm finding, as I get stronger, I'll have to slow my SPM down to 18 or so again to keep the HR down as I gain strength again (or not row on my recovery days, which I'm considering).

Tempted to do an FTP test on my Assault bike on Friday. Last time I did it, roughly 6 months ago, I did a full hour test (my AD Pro has a 1% +/- calibration on Watts) and tested around 242, which is decent for a 55 year old, but not where I need to be to set my rowing goals. Most that can do a Sub 7 minute 2K on the rower have significantly higher FTPs than I do. Many can hold 275 or even 300 for an hour (many are strong cyclists as well!). I also need to hold around 200 Watts for an hour on the rower (2:00 pace) to get close to my long term goals. I'm not even close to that right now.