What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    Leg day!
    • Warm up (dynamic stretches, hill sprints, band stuff)
    • Squat, 80 kgs, 5 sets of 5
    • Deadlift, 110 kgs, 5 sets of 5
    • Pistols, body weight
    • Lunges, 32 kgs
    • Core stuff
    • A vague attempt at yoga, but I fell asleep in a stretch and then called it a night (it was 1 a.m.)

My weight is 65 kgs, so the lifts are slowly heading towards respectable multiples.

Today will be 45 minutes yoga, hang boarding and kettle bells.

You're super strong for that weight!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    This morning's 5 AM workout. Getting used to it now. Doesn't seem as brutal with one cup of coffee to start before it. Was supposed to be a nice and easy one but I let HR drift a bit too high. Still seemed moderately easy.

My HR, BTW, is naturally higher. My max used to be well over 200. It's still in the low 190s now, so this might look harder to some than what it actually was. For recovery work, I like to keep it between the green and yellow zone (right on the line). That's a UT2 workout in rowing terms. This was more like a UT1. Not AT (anaerobic threshold -- pushing it hard) work by any means, but not easy either.

The dip was where my hands got too sweaty and the handle slipped out of my hands.

From the HR Monitor app and the PM5 (the rowing monitor).

b8c7wh97axca.jpg
    lcn8uuzz4yl1.png
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    This morning's 5 AM workout. Getting used to it now. Doesn't seem as brutal with one cup of coffee to start before it. Was supposed to be a nice and easy one but I let HR drift a bit too high. Still seemed moderately easy.

My HR, BTW, is naturally higher. My max used to be well over 200. It's still in the low 190s now, so this might look harder to some than what it actually was. For recovery work, I like to keep it between the green and yellow zone (right on the line). That's a UT2 workout in rowing terms. This was more like a UT1. Not AT (anaerobic threshold -- pushing it hard) work by any means, but not easy either.

The dip was where my hands got too sweaty and the handle slipped out of my hands.

From the HR Monitor app and the PM5 (the rowing monitor).

b8c7wh97axca.jpg
    lcn8uuzz4yl1.png

Coffee is a mandatory pre-workout drink for me. :)

Cool HR visualizer. If you don't mind my asking, what device is that reading data from? Assume that you input FTP and it establishes HR zones for you? So "warmup" = Z1, "hardcore" - Z4 or threshold, "redline" = VO2 Max. etc?
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Djproulx - you have forgotten likely more than I know about HR training, but it's an App called Fitiv paired with just a Coospo Chest strap. I love both of them, TBH. Fitiv is a cheaper I-Phone or Apple Watch (and I think Adroid -- edited -- I checked, it's only with Apple/I-Phones) app and Coospo is a Bluetooth or ANT+ HRM chest strap that is water resistant. Don't believe it's water proof.

I've tried the Polar H7 and it sucked with the rower. This Coospo is like $45 and I've had it nearly a year now. Works flawlessly with the Fitiv. A lot of users of Fitiv have the Apple Watch but wrist HRMs aren't really accurate or responsive for the rowing machine. I'm old school and prefer the chest straps for accuracy.

I just got Strava for my leisure bike rides, but I'll stick to this for my workouts.

I didn't go off of a true FTP hour long test for the Max HR, but a 20 minute test and just years of knowing my minimum and maximum HRs. Based off my really hard long interval workouts, I'm pretty close to accurate. I've adjusted once I think. And yes, on the HR zones. If I'm doing a REALLY hard short interval, it will usually reach 90% Max. AT is more like 88% or 90% tops, but only toward the end. Hard intervals can peak at 95%. I go by the rule we don't often see true max and I have little desire to try, but a 2K all out row gets pretty close. So does a 5K all out (roughly 20 minutes).

Last time I did a 5K all out, I took the average of the last 3 minutes and added 5% to it to estimate max HR.

Regarding coffee - I got the flu in late Feb and stopped cold. I'm only drinking one big cup, black, before my workouts. But man, at 5 AM, that has saved my bacon. So much difference. I'm not a natural morning workout person and it's helped tremendously.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    Options

I weighed 85 kgs 14 months ago, compared to 65 kgs now. I lifted fairly frequently then as well. My lifts have gone down, which took a while to mentally adjust to. Squat and deadlift are around the same % of body weight as before; and bench and OHP have gone way up as a %.

I didn't make my yoga today, as a meeting over-ran. So I did a row on the erg instead. I'm doing Pete's Beginner Plan, which called for 2*2k with 4 minutes' rest. I died on the second 2k, so didn't finish.

The first one was 2.03 pace, which is slow by everyone elses' standards, but fast by mine.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Back and biceps and some walking. Lighter workouts since I think I injured my rhomboids. Will be biking tho!!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »

I weighed 85 kgs 14 months ago, compared to 65 kgs now. I lifted fairly frequently then as well. My lifts have gone down, which took a while to mentally adjust to. Squat and deadlift are around the same % of body weight as before; and bench and OHP have gone way up as a %.

I didn't make my yoga today, as a meeting over-ran. So I did a row on the erg instead. I'm doing Pete's Beginner Plan, which called for 2*2k with 4 minutes' rest. I died on the second 2k, so didn't finish.

The first one was 2.03 pace, which is slow by everyone elses' standards, but fast by mine.

Not a fail, you just went out too fast and learned something. Everyone starts the PP too aggressive. I moderated the PP forum on the C2 site for like, forever. Started the thread too. I've done it more times than I can count.

You did it on a lift day (good) but had your pace not far off your current 2K PB. Should have started at like 2:10 and if you had something left on the second rep, then gone for it on that one. The PP (assuming you get through) will recalibrate all your benchmark times based on the prior week or rounds work. I'm assuming you're talking about the BPP, not the full PP (the full one calls for a 4 X 2K with 5' rest, I believe -- just brutal).

For non rowers, the Pete Plan is for rowing what Hal Higdon does for running.

Weight loss is actually somewhat counterproductive for power, not only in lifting, but on the rower too. But for your health it's much more important. Like me, you won't be setting any rower records, so health is where it's at anyway. Congrats on all that weight loss!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @Djproulx - you have forgotten likely more than I know about HR training, but it's an App called Fitiv paired with just a Coospo Chest strap. I love both of them, TBH. Fitiv is a cheaper I-Phone or Apple Watch (and I think Adroid -- edited -- I checked, it's only with Apple/I-Phones) app and Coospo is a Bluetooth or ANT+ HRM chest strap that is water resistant. Don't believe it's water proof.

I've tried the Polar H7 and it sucked with the rower. This Coospo is like $45 and I've had it nearly a year now. Works flawlessly with the Fitiv. A lot of users of Fitiv have the Apple Watch but wrist HRMs aren't really accurate or responsive for the rowing machine. I'm old school and prefer the chest straps for accuracy.

I just got Strava for my leisure bike rides, but I'll stick to this for my workouts.

I didn't go off of a true FTP hour long test for the Max HR, but a 20 minute test and just years of knowing my minimum and maximum HRs. Based off my really hard long interval workouts, I'm pretty close to accurate. I've adjusted once I think. And yes, on the HR zones. If I'm doing a REALLY hard short interval, it will usually reach 90% Max. AT is more like 88% or 90% tops, but only toward the end. Hard intervals can peak at 95%. I go by the rule we don't often see true max and I have little desire to try, but a 2K all out row gets pretty close. So does a 5K all out (roughly 20 minutes).

Last time I did a 5K all out, I took the average of the last 3 minutes and added 5% to it to estimate max HR.

Regarding coffee - I got the flu in late Feb and stopped cold. I'm only drinking one big cup, black, before my workouts. But man, at 5 AM, that has saved my bacon. So much difference. I'm not a natural morning workout person and it's helped tremendously.

Cool, never heard of Fitiv. Love that chart. Very easy to read and understand! I don't use an Apple watch, but a few friends tried them and switched back to Garmin for the HRM and training functions. And I'm not a Strava guy, since I use Training Peaks for tracking and analysis.

Regarding FTP, I don't know why anyone would put themselves through the pain of a one hour FTP test, when the 20 min version is a very good proxy for it. I've also done the two 8min versions as well as the ramp test. Both the 20min test and the ramp test seem to be great ways to measure threshold, and they deliver all the pain I ever want to endure in a short period of time.

Finally, I try to maintain a 14:10 fasting regimen, so black coffee is my typical morning drink.

x
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    23 minutes of bum/legs kettlebell workout over lunch. And tonight 90 minute dancing to Ethiopian live music online.
  • MikePfirrman
    Options
    [/quote]

Cool, never heard of Fitiv. Love that chart. Very easy to read and understand! I don't use an Apple watch, but a few friends tried them and switched back to Garmin for the HRM and training functions. And I'm not a Strava guy, since I use Training Peaks for tracking and analysis.

Regarding FTP, I don't know why anyone would put themselves through the pain of a one hour FTP test, when the 20 min version is a very good proxy for it. I've also done the two 8min versions as well as the ramp test. Both the 20min test and the ramp test seem to be great ways to measure threshold, and they deliver all the pain I ever want to endure in a short period of time.

Finally, I try to maintain a 14:10 fasting regimen, so black coffee is my typical morning drink.

x [/quote]

https://support.motifitapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022168333-How-do-I-use-my-Garmin-with-FITIV-Pulse

It seems it is compatible with Garmin and the workouts, I've read, you can dowload direct to MFP as well.

Regarding the full hour FTP test - I pleade ignorance. And yes, it was awful.

• Djproulx
    Options

x [/quote]

https://support.motifitapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022168333-How-do-I-use-my-Garmin-with-FITIV-Pulse

It seems it is compatible with Garmin and the workouts, I've read, you can dowload direct to MFP as well.

Regarding the full hour FTP test - I pleade ignorance. And yes, it was awful.

[/quote]

I think it just proves my contention that rowers are a pretty tough group. So far, I've resisted the trainer's attempts to talk me into trying it, since I can only envision the suffering. My hat is off to you.

I'm going to check out the FITIV.......as if I need another data gadget to track my stuff!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    JimDew wrote: »

This was a slow, cold, painful run. My left glute muscle is absolutely killing me. Every step.

Ouch. Did you pull it during the run, or try to run through a minor tweak and it got worse?
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

This was a slow, cold, painful run. My left glute muscle is absolutely killing me. Every step.

Ouch. Did you pull it during the run, or try to run through a minor tweak and it got worse?

I tweaked it two days ago on a 6 mile run. Gave it two days off.

It feels better this evening.

Tomorrow is another day

Thank you for your concern! I’m touched

I've had more than my fair share of injuries, so I know the frustration. Missed the entire 2019 season due to chronic achilles inflammation.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Indoor bike today. 70 minutes.
    15 min warm up at various power/cadence levels, then a 45 minutes aerobic ride with last 5 minutes at threshold, then cooldown.

I decided to take my mid season training break early as of last Sunday. I'll maintain most of my fitness with reduced volume for a few weeks. The mental break will be just what I need.

I'll get to do some fishing and turkey hunting with my son, and then I'll be ready to resume race training in late May.

• MikePfirrman
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @JimDew - it's not Piriformis Syndrome, is it? That can show up like an injury -- very painful for bikers, rowers and runners with all the straight forward movement. My wife had it back in 2012 thru 2014 and finally had to have surgery to get her out of permanent pain.

It feels like a huge knot deep in your glutes. From the gluteal muscle entrapping the sciatic nerve. Stretching helps tremendously as does "flossing".

I'm always a bit concerned about that with all the rowing and stationary bike I do. We're getting a LateralX (actually just waiting till the guy can get here to assemble it) for that very reason -- wanting to add in more lateral work.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    Fairly quiet day. Did lots of things in the house (mainly involving a sofa), but went out three times for various errands. In the evening I tried to run but gave up after an exhausting 2.5km. Back home I realized why it didn't work: I ran far too fast. But before that I thought: what the heck, lets at least try to do another short run with a good time. And so I did, but my heartrate crashed after about 400m, and I stopped after 1km because I couldn't get it up anymore (same old story..._)
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    Options
    Sat 5/2

30 chin ups, 101 push ups (both in sets to failure)
    40 min spin bike
  • gjw5000
    gjw5000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Rest day, so I did 45 mins of yoga to stretch out, mainly aimed at my core and shoulders, after doing a gymnastic rings workout yesterday. 2nd time doing yoga and really enjoying it, great rest day stretch and balance alternative.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Finished C25K today with a 30 minute run!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 984 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Not a fail, you just went out too fast and learned something. Everyone starts the PP too aggressive. I moderated the PP forum on the C2 site for like, forever. Started the thread too. I've done it more times than I can count.

You did it on a lift day (good) but had your pace not far off your current 2K PB. Should have started at like 2:10 and if you had something left on the second rep, then gone for it on that one. The PP (assuming you get through) will recalibrate all your benchmark times based on the prior week or rounds work. I'm assuming you're talking about the BPP, not the full PP (the full one calls for a 4 X 2K with 5' rest, I believe -- just brutal).

For non rowers, the Pete Plan is for rowing what Hal Higdon does for running.

Weight loss is actually somewhat counterproductive for power, not only in lifting, but on the rower too. But for your health it's much more important. Like me, you won't be setting any rower records, so health is where it's at anyway. Congrats on all that weight loss!

Thanks Mike - it is indeed the beginner plan. The main plan is way too hard for me.

The impact of weight loss on my other activities is mixed:
    Climbing it definitely helps to be small
    Yoga probably also helps - I can do the crow now, and couldn't when I was big. But that may just be the impact of practice.
    With scuba, I now have a lower air consumption ,(12 litres a minute surface air consumption for a typical UK dive - it was 15 pre-diet.) But I feel the cold a lot more. I may just get a heated vest, but I should probably get my PFO fixed first. Covid delayed my operation, which was scheduled for early April.

Today, I got a bit of a walk in - 29,000 steps. I didn't get my kettle bell session last night, as it was 1 a.m. when I finished hang boarding . (Work was silly.)

So I did it today - 200 swings with a 24 kgs bell (two handed, one handed and my favourite of alternating hands.)