Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What are your thoughts on Keto?

Options

Replies

• NerdyScienceGrl
    NerdyScienceGrl Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    When exploring different options, I looked at keto and knew a few that found initial success. Personally it wouldn’t be sustainable long term. I have watched most of those, I know, that have done keto try and move back to incorporating healthy carbs and they saw the number on the scale and clothing size increase.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    06qdnz4crjln.jpg

There is no way you can convince me that missing out on all this ⬆️ goodness and instead feast on pig's flesh, butter, and cheese is in any way good for me

IMU, keto folks are not going to miss out on "all that goodness". Some of what's in the photo is relatively low carb, and keto folks interested in overall nutrition would eat those.

I say this as emphatically *not* a keto practitioner (I eat 200g+ carbs every day, and many, many veggies/fruits). But misrepresenting sensible versions of other people's eating preferences doesn't seem like the way to persuade, to me.

Sure, some keto-ers avoid vegetables, but so do some omnivores. 🤷‍♀️
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    Options

It wasn't the carbs that made the scale and clothing size increase, it was a caloric surplus

While I can appreciate that could be true, I am not someone that believes that CICO is the whole story. How our bodies use and store what we eat is just as important, if not more in some cases, especially if there has been extreme limitations placed on your diet.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    When exploring different options, I looked at keto and knew a few that found initial success. Personally it wouldn’t be sustainable long term. I have watched most of those, I know, that have done keto try and move back to incorporating healthy carbs and they saw the number on the scale and clothing size increase.

It wasn't the carbs that made the scale and clothing size increase, it was a caloric surplus

There's going to be an immediate water weight increase when upping carbs from keto levels, but other than that, yes, I agree.

I think what happens is that many who do keto may not have figured out how to eat the right number of cals for maintenance, so they stop ketoing and end up eating too many cals again. This happens to anyone who doesn't figure out how to maintain, but in many cases someone doing keto won't have been tracking cals, so changing one's way of eating dramatically may result in a lot more cals without them necessarily noticing it.

I don't think eating low carb makes you unable to ever eat carbs again without gaining, of course.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    Options
    Without writing a long drawn out message, CICO does not take into account food types and how our bodies use it. So, in theory, you could eat any diet you want as long as your in a deficit. In other words, I should be able to eat 2000 calories of McDonalds and Doritos and have the same outcome as eating 2000 calories of a healthy diet. Acknowledging we are all different, I guarantee you given the McDonalds v healthy diet example, I’d not only gain weight but I’d gain it as belly fat eating McDonalds and Doritos.
  • NerdyScienceGrl
    Options
    I agree it doesn’t mean you can never eat carbs again. The theory and purpose behind keto (my understanding… at least) is to lower carbs and to put yourself in ketosis. This changes the type of energy burned from glucose to ketones and body fat. Once off keto, if you drop some of the high fats which are high calorie and replace it with carbs (CICO), your body shifts back to burning glucose first. It causes water weight gain, but also creates insulin spikes which if not burned fast enough kicks your body into fat storage. Reintroducing carbs slowly, from what I have researched, works to keep weight off, but fully replacing calories from fat/protein with carbs can create weight gain, esp in those that are carb sensitive.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I agree it doesn’t mean you can never eat carbs again. The theory and purpose behind keto (my understanding… at least) is to lower carbs and to put yourself in ketosis. This changes the type of energy burned from glucose to ketones and body fat. Once off keto, if you drop some of the high fats which are high calorie and replace it with carbs (CICO), your body shifts back to burning glucose first. It causes water weight gain, but also creates insulin spikes which if not burned fast enough kicks your body into fat storage. Reintroducing carbs slowly, from what I have researched, works to keep weight off, but fully replacing calories from fat/protein with carbs can create weight gain, esp in those that are carb sensitive.

In reality, though, keto works the same way as any weight loss diet (if you use it to lose weight)--by creating a deficit.

The stuff about burning fat vs sugar is often misunderstood. We all burn fat throughout the day, and will burn net fat if in a deficit no matter what we eat (one should obviously eat a healthy diet for health reasons, though). Someone doing keto will eat far fewer carbs and thus mostly burn fat, but they don't lose for that reason, will gain if they eat fat in a surplus, and will burn the same amount of net fat as someone with an equal deficit not doing keto. So if they switch from keto to high carb, they will (other than water weight) not gain so long as they eat the right number of cals. No one at a deficit can't lose fat bc of insulin after eating carbs. For health reasons some people with insulin resistance or T2D might be better off cutting down on carbs and making sure to pair them with fiber and protein, of course.

There are people here who do keto to lose but eat non keto at maintenance. Psulemon is one, and I tend to eat low carb when at a deficit and otherwise more moderate carb when not at a deficit. I tried keto for a while as an experiment when maintaining, and it didn't change the cals I maintained at.

When I was first trying to get into a deficit, and now when I'm not doing a maintenance period, I am definitely lower carb. The cause/effect (for me is backward, though). I don't intentionally low carb for weight loss. I weight loss and if I'm going to give up food it's going to be the 'filler' parts of my meals. Which are... usually carbs. I'm also kind of fat heavy when doing the deficit. Because fat's satiating for me. Nowhere near keto diet levels though.

(I know you aren't disagreeing, your post just made me consciously realize)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    06qdnz4crjln.jpg

There is no way you can convince me that missing out on all this ⬆️ goodness and instead feast on pig's flesh, butter, and cheese is in any way good for me

YUM !!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    SusannO wrote: »
    @janejellyroll Actually, if you read many people who post against keto or offer their advice on keto, even in this thread alone, say it's just one of many options to get a calorie deficit. I'm saying it's more than just calorie deficit or weight loss related. My Mom is not overweight. Skinny and active. She does not overeat. Eats way more fruits and vegies than the average person. Yet she has diabetes and high cholesterol. My autoimmune disease has a terrible inflammatory component. Two weeks back on keto, without having lost enough weight for that to have an impact, and my inflammation is way down. The effect of very low carb on your liver health, etc are more than just secondary to weight loss.
    Unforturnately GENETICS has more to do with diabetes and high cholesterol than diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There have been studies that show Keto can boost mental alertness, increase energy, and assist in burning excess body fat. That being said, any caloric deficit diet will result in weight loss. I do think if you are serious about weight loss, and want to be hardcore about it, Keto is the way to go. I can speak from experience. I tried to do a Keto bulk, I weighed 165lbs and wanted to get to 175lbs. I took in my weight in grams of protein and stuck with 70%fat, 25%protein, 5%carbs. I was taking in between 2,800 and 3,100 calories a day on Keto... 4 weeks in I had lost 6.5 lbs and gained muscle mass, somehow my shirts were fitting tighter, but my fat and weight was decreasing... I’m still going strong on Keto, I’ll see what happens in another couple weeks. But it’s definitely an effective fat loss diet.
    Almost unlikely to build muscle on a keto plan. The signaling pathway for growth NEEDS a good amount of carbs to activate it (mTOR) and keto doesn't do that.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    My big take on keto....................people who are overweight who CANNOT control eating carbs do it. Because if they could control carbs................I highly doubt they would cut them out.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

While I can appreciate that could be true, I am not someone that believes that CICO is the whole story. How our bodies use and store what we eat is just as important, if not more in some cases, especially if there has been extreme limitations placed on your diet.
    Actually SCIENTIFICALLY it is CICO. And it's not that hard to figure out what macro is used most for building muscle or direct energy need and what is stored for future energy needs for the AVERAGE healthy person.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png